All-Star What Do You Do It For?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

who wouldnt live to see this once a year ?!:)
2vl6vkw.jpg

For me it's a stress reliever. It's an environment where everyone is supportive and NO ONE wants you to fail. It's also something that I'm good at and that I have control over how quickly I improve. I love practicing for extra hours and noticing the results. All the hard work almost ALWAYS pays off (with the exception of my full...pretty sure that's never happening ;) ).

And now I'll actually respond, though everyone already said what I was going to say pretty much...

I do it because cheerleading saved me. I was an outcast who never had a place anywhere in life except on the competition floor and on the stage of the music hall. Stunting and performing were the only areas in my life that my parents could look at and say "wow, she really excels at this." Without that sense of importance, belonging, self, etc, I would not have made it past high school. I started as an alternate to varsity my sophomore year, and all the others scoffed at me and wrote me off, as if I had nothing to contribute to the team. Then, one day, I saved their buns when a girl called out sick the morning of competition. I was the only alternate, and I hadn't missed a single practice or game or competition all season. It killed me to sit there and watch them have all the fun, but I continued holding onto the hope that my day would come, and it did. The flyer had a fit, "I'm not stunting with her." etc.... all because I was "of the nerd persuasion." The coach actually said this in front of me "What do you want me to do? She's the only option left." Guess whose stunt hit that hadn't hit all season? Guess who became permanent base for that group? Guess who suddenly got respect, and became the most in-demand base and back on the team for the next two years?

On the outside, I looked like nothing. All I needed was a chance to show what I could do. This is why I coach. I coach for that kid who no one wanted to give a chance, for that kid who just isn't good at anything, but may really have the heart for it, for that kid who is just a little different from all the others, and just needs someone to believe in them, etc. I will always believe that this is a sport for everyone- if you're shy, tall, short, big, small, loud, etc. It builds so much character and provides so many opportunities for growth. It's truly amazing<3
I think I need to coach with you some day!

i do it because of so many reasons. when i was little, i used to dream of that huge moment, the kind of moment you see in movies, and when i step onto the floor at jamfest comps or ecda's or the us finals or hopefully one day world's, i have that moment.
i also do it because when you hit the floor, you suddenly forget everything but that moment. i dont remember my name or why i'm here, i just remember, be happy. this is your moment.
another reason is because of the bonds you make with teammates and gym mates. you spend so much time together and they know you on a more personal level than school friends cause you go everywhere with them.
i cheer for so many reasons, but i love the sport in general.<3

Im glad that this thread was made because I have been contemplating whether or not to come back next year or just retire. But I have decided that I will be at my teams try outs. I will forever remember the feeling that I had when I came off the floor after hitting at spirit sports. I will also not end my cheer career on an injury. I have so much to learn and accomplish.

Cheer is definitely the only thing that keeps me grounded. No matter how much school or friends or family stresses me out, i can always count on my team to cheer me up. Whenever i have a bad day then go to practice, i never leave feeling bad about my day. It's a stress reliever and i honestly don't know how i would cope without it in my life.

This thread makes me so happy <3

As cliche' as this may sound, I do what I do for the kids. It's seeing their smiling faces after they hit that last motion of their routine and they come off the floor beaming with confidence. I do it because it gives them something to do and not get into trouble or fall in with the wrong crowd. I do it for the shy girls on my team that are now the busy bodies of the entire gym. I do it because I want to be the one that preps the future Sr 5 kids of my organization. I do it because I LOVE this sport with a passion, I love my gym, I love my girls and I love the fact that I can be a positive influence in someone's life that can change their entire path for the better. I do it because God has given me the gift/talent to be a coach.

On the outside, I looked like nothing. All I needed was a chance to show what I could do. This is why I coach. I coach for that kid who no one wanted to give a chance, for that kid who just isn't good at anything, but may really have the heart for it, for that kid who is just a little different from all the others, and just needs someone to believe in them, etc. I will always believe that this is a sport for everyone- if you're shy, tall, short, big, small, loud, etc. It builds so much character and provides so many opportunities for growth. It's truly amazing<3

Thanks for the tears this morning...I love this.

I have to stop reading this thread. My makeup looked really good today!

Im glad that this thread was made because I have been contemplating whether or not to come back next year or just retire. But I have decided that I will be at my teams try outs. I will forever remember the feeling that I had when I came off the floor after hitting at spirit sports. I will also not end my cheer career on an injury. I have so much to learn and accomplish.

And that's why I made the thread. It happens every year around this time. You're tired, hurt, burnt out. Not sure if you want to come back. Thinking of the tough summer practices is usually what kills everyone. When you remember why you are doing what you do, it can make the decision for you.

I've been very uncertain wheter I would compete this year or not. A little I had lost the appetite.
But it comes back every time we have that practice when you go home with a big smile on your face. Either way because the practice was good or maybe because my coach said a compliment to me. And of course competitions! It's the best. To show everyone and just enjoy the time you have on the mat!

To coach I've been very certain that I should do this season. This is my "comeback year" as a coach and I really wanted to do everything as good as I possibly can. I got a youth team where about 5 people had been cheering before. But me and the other coach had a goal in front of us, and we sticked to it. After a while they were able to do the routine and all we had given to them! I watched old pictures the other day, and they have come such a long way this year! It's crazy. Makes me so proud. They can do anything!
Good practices with my kids is THE BEST. Nothing makes me more happy!

Oh and I always say the "normal life" sucks compared to the cheerleading life.

You know as a cheer mom I was feeling pretty burnt out after this season. I was hoping my cp would want to take a cheer break. Listing the reasons she loves it gives me perspective and I know I could never take it from her. Thanks.

sometimes when im having a bad day...i go to youtube and watch cheer videos. It just makes me happy...Also i believe i text my "fierce" friends more then i text the "normal dramatic" people from school. I want to live in a world full of cheerleaders, well all star cheerleaders that is :p

Back