College What Do You Guys Think Of Stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 4, 2012
I don't know much about STUNT, but I think its a cool idea.. but I was wondering if it will become harder for cheerleading to be recognized as a sport if STUNT is around.. because I know some programs are starting to recognize STUNT as a sport, but not competitive cheer... opionions?

I don't know much about STUNT, but I think its a cool idea.. but I was wondering if it will become harder for cheerleading to be recognized as a sport if STUNT is around.. because I know some programs are starting to recognize STUNT as a sport, but not competitive cheer... opionions?

Stunt IS competitive cheer. Just rebranded with a season and "quarters" and more head to head competition than one 2:30 routine. It's weird, and it's not what we're used to (NCATA in particular), but I think this is the best way for cheer to be recognized as a sport.

Stunt IS competitive cheer. Just rebranded with a season and "quarters" and more head to head competition than one 2:30 routine. It's weird, and it's not what we're used to (NCATA in particular), but I think this is the best way for cheer to be recognized as a sport.

Yeah, I know its recognized cheer (I worder that badly haha sorry), but I dont think it is as much fun to watch. I think that 2:30 min routines filled with attitude and sass are so much better to watch.. I think most would agree if Worlds became a STUNT competition it would not nearly be as entertaining.

Yeah, I know its recognized cheer (I worder that badly haha sorry), but I dont think it is as much fun to watch. I think that 2:30 min routines filled with attitude and sass are so much better to watch.. I think most would agree if Worlds became a STUNT competition it would not nearly be as entertaining.

I don't think All-Star cheerleader would ever pick up on the Stunt format - it doesn't need to in order to survive. But if we want college cheerleading to be recognized as a sport by the NCAA and meet Title IX requirements, I really think this is the way to go. Even Maryland just dropped their Varsity competitive cheer program, my alma mater just cut funding for an assistant coach, and I think cutting competitive cheer (HPU too) is a trend will continue to see unless some drastic changes are made.

I don't think All-Star cheerleader would ever pick up on the Stunt format - it doesn't need to in order to survive. But if we want college cheerleading to be recognized as a sport by the NCAA and meet Title IX requirements, I really think this is the way to go. Even Maryland just dropped their Varsity competitive cheer program, my alma mater just cut funding for an assistant coach, and I think cutting competitive cheer (HPU too) is a trend will continue to see unless some drastic changes are made.

Yikes! Do you think eventually colleges can do STUNT and competion like it already exists? I think NC State does both.

Yikes! Do you think eventually colleges can do STUNT and competion like it already exists? I think NC State does both.

No, if STUNT becomes a Varsity sport, there might be a separate sideline team, but that Varsity team won't cheer at games and won't be able to compete at NCA/UCA.

Do some searches on the board for NCATA, this discussion has come up a number of times and there's a lot of good information in some old threads.

No, if STUNT becomes a Varsity sport, there might be a separate sideline team, but that Varsity team won't cheer at games and won't be able to compete at NCA/UCA.

Do some searches on the board for NCATA, this discussion has come up a number of times and there's a lot of good information in some old threads.

Oh wow, that's pretty drastic. Thanks for all the help! I'll look into it!

My team competed at NCA and we went to watch the Oklahoma State/Louisville Stunt competition. I had seen them online before and I didn't think they were fun to watch, but it's a totally different atmosphere when you are actually in the arena. I had a great time!
I don't think the format will work for allstar, especially at larger competitions. It takes up too much time and not enough teams can compete against each other.

STUNT is really just another one of Varsity's brands that they made up after NCATA was formed, and it seems like Varsity doesn't want it to come off that way, but in reality thats all STUNT is. NCATA formed the whole meet format first and when the 6 original teams joined NCATA, they obviously had to drop out of NCA nationals, which is of course run by Varsity. So Varsity's response to all of this was to create something similar to NCATA that teams can do so they don't continue to lose teams (and less teams means less money for Varsity). And the fact that STUNT nationals is held in conjunction with NCA nationals in Daytona, has something fishy about it I guess you could say. So I don't think the whole goal of STUNT is to become an NCAA sport in the future, but that is the goal of NCATA.

And everyone knows that as of right now, Varsity basically controls all there is cheerleading. NCATA has potentially threatened Varsity's power because like someone said before, if the team switches over from competitive cheer, they can't do anything with Varsity (competitive cheer). And if this all gets approved in the future, all college competitive teams will have to follow the rules that will be set, and Varsity will have nothing to do with that anymore since it will be in the NCAA's hands. Therefore, Varsity will loose all they have in college cheering, losing all the revenue they make with that.

STUNT is the best way for cheerleading skills and athleticism to become a recognized sport (as sport standards are in this country). All Star and School cheer (sideline along with yearly comps) should not want to be a sport. They should want to stay as they are.

STUNT is also a spring sport, allowing school cheerleaders in HS and college to participate in the regular cheer season and then go and do STUNT season after (if their coaches allow-- if they are talented I doubt many coaches would mind).

College cheer as it is now can't and won't become a NCAA sport due to coed restrictions, no season, a maximum of like 6 minutes of competition per team.

The 4th quarter of a stunt competition is a 2:30 routine. They just have to do a bunch of compulsory stuff first

I agree with what was said above. As soon as you become a sport you are faced with regulations, restrictions, and a ton of red tape that would kill Allstars. I feel bad that guys are losing out on the opportunity to "cheer" (STUNT) in college. I don't ever see an all-male STUNT team being possible

The 4th quarter of a stunt competition is a 2:30 routine. They just have to do a bunch of compulsory stuff first

I agree with what was said above. As soon as you become a sport you are faced with regulations, restrictions, and a ton of red tape that would kill Allstars. I feel bad that guys are losing out on the opportunity to "cheer" (STUNT) in college. I don't ever see an all-male STUNT team being possible
if STUNT takes off, reps say there is a possibility of Coed STUNT happening down the line

and the biggest push for STUNT in my opinion, is that once it becomes NCAA sanctioned, it will be a scholarship sport at many schools.. helping out kids/athletes pay for college through their cheer skills

Latest posts

Back