High School What Is Everyone Doing For October-pink!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a bow vendor and a survivor, I personally sell all my pink bows at cost ($5-7) including rhinestone bows and I encourage the teams that purchase them to donate the other half of the cost to a breast cancer fundation of their choosing. This way they are both showing their support and making a financial contriubtion to the cause.

A school near us does one big Pink Out game. Pink knee high socks, pink tutus, pink poms, pink tattoos, pink bows, and a t shirt that is either white with pink writing or pink with white writing. I love how it looks, but more than that they sell the t-shirts at a decent price and a large number of students, staff and fans buy them. The person who makes them sells them to the cheer boosters at her cost and then the cheer boosters donate all the profits from the t-shirts to a local cancer support group of some sort. They also do a raffle during the game and sell other pink items with all profits going to the same local group. I like that they do it up big for one game and donate the profits locally. There is also an education component involved during the week leading up to the game, but I don't know much about that part of it.

One year we had a pink camp bow so we wore it to games with our uniform and one year a long time ago we did tall pink socks. We'll usually do a pink out practice where they wear anything pink they already own. That is the extent of it.

I get the point of it, and it really is a great in theory. I just can't justify the expense every year. As a coach who runs an expensive season, I am always trying to cut back on any expenses that aren't 100% needed or usable all/multiple seasons. The pink is great for bringing awareness, but if we're actually trying to do something for breast cancer, I would rather not buy the pink items and give that money straight to research/hospitals/local families. Before it's taken the wrong way, I think it's great to show support for Breast Cancer and the intentions behind it, but all I see is the companies making bank off of everyone's new pink stuff. It started with buy all your new pink stuff, then JAM brands wanted us all to deck out in new purple stuff, then red stuff, and this week Varisty is pushing new gold stuff. At what point is it not about awareness and more about guilt to buy XYZ so you look supportive.

Just a personal pet peeve I have.. Back to the thread.
Amen to that! I hope you guys don't mind me speaking for myself and you guys. Lol.

I think we all agree this is awesome.

A school near us does one big Pink Out game. Pink knee high socks, pink tutus, pink poms, pink tattoos, pink bows, and a t shirt that is either white with pink writing or pink with white writing. I love how it looks, but more than that they sell the t-shirts at a decent price and a large number of students, staff and fans buy them. The person who makes them sells them to the cheer boosters at her cost and then the cheer boosters donate all the profits from the t-shirts to a local cancer support group of some sort. They also do a raffle during the game and sell other pink items with all profits going to the same local group. I like that they do it up big for one game and donate the profits locally. There is also an education component involved during the week leading up to the game, but I don't know much about that part of it.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

We donate, host and all around participate in A LOT of "PINK" community service. The Pink accessories/uniforms are (to us) just one way to buy into the identity of the cause. The squad gets super excited about PINK... And not just what they're wearing but The girls going all out and wearing pink (and I think you can all understand this) ignites a spirit behind the cause. I think this is why colors became associated with different charity organizations in the first place. It's like hosting a rally... Some schools get really into it and spend tons of money on decoration and pick a theme to create an awareness that there is a game... To ignite a particular feeling of unity in competition. Others don't... And are capable of creating the exact same result. I 100% agree that the focus shouldn't change from the support of the cause.... And I've said it before but I'm not going to fault a business (be it Jamz or Varsity) for capitalizing on ways to make money. Would I love to see a percentage of pink item sales go to charity.. Absolutely... But at the end of the day... They're trying to run a business and it's not my business to tell them how to run it. IDK, I feel like when people side eye schools that really dress up and say "your money should be spent here instead of there"... Is very much like telling someone whos wearing an expensive handbag or expensive shoes who's donates regularly to church that if they didn't buy that handbag or those shoes they could donate more...

Are anyone's teams doing Gold Games this year? I've seen Varsity and Team Cheer promoting that a lot lately, it's for Pediatric Cancer and September is the month dedicated to it.
We are. Our game this Saturday is a Team Up for St. Jude event and so all week we have been getting donations and selling wristbands, pencils and gold shirts. Plus, we have a bake sale tomorrow & we'll do a raffle at the game. For the game, we'll wear the gold shirt (along with everyone who bought one) with a gold bow (from camp). All of the proceeds from the week will go to St. Jude.

I don't believe I did anything in high school, but in college we did it corresponding with the football and basketball teams. We would specifically have a pink game where the coaches would wear pink ribbons and the players would have pink socks, sweatbands, tape, etc. Some school club or something would make pink ribbon pins that we pinned on our skirts and had pink bows that a girl on the team made. Then one year the school actually bought pink poms for us to use.

We are. Our game this Saturday is a Team Up for St. Jude event and so all week we have been getting donations and selling wristbands, pencils and gold shirts. Plus, we have a bake sale tomorrow & we'll do a raffle at the game. For the game, we'll wear the gold shirt (along with everyone who bought one) with a gold bow (from camp). All of the proceeds from the week will go to St. Jude.

That's so awesome!

Are anyone's teams doing Gold Games this year? I've seen Varsity and Team Cheer promoting that a lot lately, it's for Pediatric Cancer and September is the month dedicated to it.
We really wanted to... But with September 11 (just had our Walk to Remember event today)...9.11 miles for victims . And a Cancer Color Run... (General awareness) We just didn't have time to add something on our plate. A lot of schools in our area do something for Sept 11...

We really wanted to... But with September 11 (just had our Walk to Remember event today)...9.11 miles for victims . And a Cancer Color Run... (General awareness) We just didn't have time to add something on our plate. A lot of schools in our area do something for Sept 11...
I love the cancer color run idea!

I may be getting the pink ribbon tattoo. But I believe my gym raises money to give at our first comp, Cheer for the Cure in December. My girls I think are going to do pink bows. The whole gym does something but it's more team specific.

Back