All-Star What Should Penalty Be For Cheating?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 1, 2010
Ok, so I know alot of us have heard and experienced cheating in all-star cheer. We've all seen the people that we know aren't of the right age, but it's really hard to prove it. The process to report it, makes it almost impossible for the accuser to prove that person is too old. So, in a sense, by making it so hard on the accuser and burden of proof, I believe cheating, or using athletes of the wrong age in divisions is rampant at this point.

This weekend, my program Rockstar Cheer experienced this probably like no other program has ever had done to them before. 2 years ago, an athlete competed for Rockstar and I took her to worlds. To be an athlete at our gym, you must first fill out a registration form which has your birth date on it. To compete at Worlds, you must roster your team, each athlete and their birthdate. After that 2009 worlds, I never saw this girl again. I found out later that she was now a coach at another all-star program. A program that is not close to mine, is not a competitor of which I've ever competed against.

This weekend, one of my teams competed against this program, and this athlete was on the floor competing for them, against Rockstar. Well I was in the hospital all weekend, so I didn't see it. We have a pretty much new staff this year. So, the only coaches that remember this girl, happened to see her team compete on Day 2. They called me at the hospital and said, this girl is too old to compete for Senior divisions correct? I said I think so, but we'll have to do some homework before we accuse.

Well, come to find out, this girl has a sister that competes right now on one of my Rockstar teams that was at that competition!! So, one of our coaches asked her, and she said yeah, she'll be 2o next month, lol. So, my staff went to the competition owner, reported this, and they said we must have proof of it. Well, I said, we can go get her mom or dad to prove it if you want, lol. But, we decided to just wait and go get the original registration form of which she filled out. We found it and sure enough, it showed that she will be 20 next month, and in-eligible to compete on a Senior team. WE also found the Registration form we sent into Worlds 2 years ago, which also had the same Birth date.

So, now, we're waiting on the event company to make it's ruling. I'm personally & professionally appalled that a Gym Owner, used one of his own staff, who is too old, to compete on his highest level senior team, in order to secure a win for his program. Maybe that wasn't his intention, but the facts are there, that he had to know she was tool old. Any time you hire an employee, you have to get their birth date, and I'd assume he would have asked a coach if they were 18 as of Aug. 31, 2010.

So, my question is this. What should the penalty be from the event company of which the violation happened? And...What should the penalty be from the USASF, after we file our complaint. This is all based on the fact that this did happen, and they are guilty of what we're accusing.

It is to my knowledge, maybe the first time that a gym will ever file a complaint for an illegal member being used, that actually had proof as we do.

What do you think the penalties should be? Do you blame the athlete that did it, or the gym owner, or both?

I think forfeiting the results at that competition should be done by the event company indeed. But, what about future penalties. What's done is done, and should there not be anything enforced for that gym in the future? Oh, and it wasn't a Worlds division either

I agree with Kingston. I think they should be suspended from worlds for at least a year, in addition to forfeiting the competition. I'd also like to see them banned from that company for a year. Also, because I think public embarrassment is truly the only way these type of things will stop, that USASF (or the competition company) should be able to publicly state that the gym used an illegal athlete.

I think forfeiting the results at that competition should be done by the event company indeed. But, what about future penalties. What's done is done, and should there not be anything enforced for that gym in the future? Oh, and it wasn't a Worlds division either

Until there is an athlete registration system I dont think more can be done. I am not a believer in unenforceable rules (just makes the system look weak). Once that system is in place I think we can discuss harsher actions.

Until there is an athlete registration system I dont think more can be done. I am not a believer in unenforceable rules (just makes the system look weak). Once that system is in place I think we can discuss harsher actions.

I can't wait for the day we see required athlete membership! And when that happens, a monetary fine for the gym, plus a gym-wide suspension from any competition for 3 months and no team from that gym eligible for Worlds for that year. Stiff penalties is the only way to stop the abuse (and I agree, happens far too often!).

What about the event company? What shoudl they do? Should they keep it in house, between the 2 programs, and just change the results on the PDF file on the results page? Or should they make an official announcement under Hot News, or Update page, or an email to the customers who attended that event?

We have this problem locally. A gym constantly uses ineligible guys and girls. Last year they had 2 ineligible older guys and 1 ineligible younger girl. They walked out WITH the paid bid. A few days later it was taken away after the athletes birth certificates were turned in. That is the ONLY consequence that happened. They then went to another competition without those 3 athletes (but with another ineligible boy that no one could prove) and received another bid and competed at 2010 worlds illegally. THIS PAST WEEKEND..they received a bid for the 2011 worlds from the SAME competition they cheated at last year. How is this allowed?!

Ugh this makes me so mad! I agree--the whole gym should be made ineligible for Worlds that year, ineligible for receiving any type of bids for one calendar year from the date of the incident, and ineligible for competing at any event for that company for a year.

The whole point of making them ineligible for receiving bids for a whole calendar year, as opposed to just the rest of that season is that this then threatens their business as a whole. After all, if you had a child who was a Worlds level athlete, and registration time came around and you KNEW your gym wasn't eligible to receive a bid of any kind until "X" date, wouldn't you think about changing gyms? This is the type of punishment that I think most gyms wouldn't be willing to risk.

It's a shame that it's gotten to the point where we feel the only way to deter people from cheating is by public shaming. It's ridiculous.

I can't wait for the day we see required athlete membership! And when that happens, a monetary fine for the gym, plus a gym-wide suspension from any competition for 3 months and no team from that gym eligible for Worlds for that year. Stiff penalties is the only way to stop the abuse (and I agree, happens far too often!).
If you punish the whole gym, that year. Don't you think you are punishing a lot of innocent children? What about the parents that paid a lot of money for their child. Shouldn't their rights be taken into consideration? This problem affects more than just the gym owner and the ineligible child. There would be a lot of collateral damage.

If you punish the whole gym, that year. Don't you think you are punishing a lot of innocent children? What about the parents that paid a lot of money for their child. Shouldn't their rights be taken into consideration? This problem affects more than just the gym owner and the ineligible child. There would be a lot of collateral damage.

true. would that not discourage gym owners to NOT cheat? when a little league team fakes a birth certificate so an older kid can pitch and they disqualify that team... are there not innocents then?

Well, what else is there?
Nothing. I just have way too much hope and faith in humanity. But my not-nice side loves the idea of plastering it in big screaming letters. I'm suddenly picturing cheer infractions listed in cheer magazines/USASF bulletins, set up like a police blotter lol

Nothing. I just have way too much hope and faith in humanity. But my not-nice side loves the idea of plastering it in big screaming letters. I'm suddenly picturing cheer infractions listed in cheer magazines/USASF bulletins, set up like a police blotter lol

setup the situation so no one can fail.

Back