All-Star What To Do When Your Athlete Isn't Being Challenged?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 5, 2014
Does anyone have any suggestions for athletes that feel they aren't being challenged? I'm hoping that advice from someone who isn't 'dad' will perk my CP up and get her out of a slump. Thanks so much!

Challenged how? Is CP looking to increase skills or are you looking for her to "be challenged?"

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

For us, it meant scoping out our options and finding a different place that has better suited my CP.

Does anyone have any suggestions for athletes that feel they aren't being challenged? I'm hoping that advice from someone who isn't 'dad' will perk my CP up and get her out of a slump. Thanks so much!

I think you need to clarify what you mean by 'challenged'.

Do you want her to be on a higher level? Do you feel like the level she is on is too easy? Do you want her to win or want her to grow? What is the goal?

I felt like I was definitely not being challenged at my gym. I definitely had passion, I just wasn't connecting at all with the team (there were 2 girls my age, everyone else was up to six/seven years younger than me). It wasn't very competitive. The coaches didn't push us (no conditioning whatsoever). There was no possibility of a higher level team (that I had the skills for). It just wasn't the place for me. So, basically what I'm saying is probably you should look into other gyms. There might be a much better fit, and your CP will be challenged more.

I think you need to clarify what you mean by 'challenged'.

Do you want her to be on a higher level? Do you feel like the level she is on is too easy? Do you want her to win or want her to grow? What is the goal?

Challenged how? Is CP looking to increase skills or are you looking for her to "be challenged?"

I'm perfectly happy, as long as my CP is happy. We went from Jr. 4 to Sr.4 this year. The goal for the season is to grow and become a stronger all around athlete. CP's always been very driven, more skill wise than competition. She'd rather perform at her very best and lose, than win and be mediocre. The biggest problem at the moment is that the rest of the team isn't as driven and doesn't have the stamina.

We've told her it takes time for other athletes to progress and get to the point she's at, but its hard for her to see that far ahead. Out of all our kids, she's always been the one whom will push herself into the ground for new skills and has trouble understanding that not everyone feels that way.

Skill wise she's more than maxed out for stunting, but at the appropriate level for tumbling. However, her coaches told her that it would be a waste of time for her to work any twisting skills, and that if she needs a spot for any skills to ask one of her teammates. (A big red flag for us!)

I think the biggest problem is a combination of two things. Our CP needing to learn patience, and a large range of skill within the team. (With the way tryouts worked, about 80% of the team has been pulled up 2-3 levels to fill spots, so regardless the team probably won't be true to its level.)

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just wanted to add that CP was thrilled to make a level 4 team again this year, and has no problem working her tumbling all year until its at the right caliber for a level 5 team.

Note re: challenging kids:

For those kids who are concerned about not teams not being on their level and not being in a place to work the next level of skills, it's important to remind them that they can ALWAYS be cleaning up and working on the technique of the skills they already have.

Ex: Working on the technique of your layout rather than pushing for a full.

I'm perfectly happy, as long as my CP is happy. We went from Jr. 4 to Sr.4 this year. The goal for the season is to grow and become a stronger all around athlete. CP's always been very driven, more skill wise than competition. She'd rather perform at her very best and lose, than win and be mediocre. The biggest problem at the moment is that the rest of the team isn't as driven and doesn't have the stamina.

We've told her it takes time for other athletes to progress and get to the point she's at, but its hard for her to see that far ahead. Out of all our kids, she's always been the one whom will push herself into the ground for new skills and has trouble understanding that not everyone feels that way.

Skill wise she's more than maxed out for stunting, but at the appropriate level for tumbling. However, her coaches told her that it would be a waste of time for her to work any twisting skills, and that if she needs a spot for any skills to ask one of her teammates. (A big red flag for us!)

I think the biggest problem is a combination of two things. Our CP needing to learn patience, and a large range of skill within the team. (With the way tryouts worked, about 80% of the team has been pulled up 2-3 levels to fill spots, so regardless the team probably won't be true to its level.)

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just wanted to add that CP was thrilled to make a level 4 team again this year, and has no problem working her tumbling all year until its at the right caliber for a level 5 team.
Do your coaches know how to spot a spin? If they told her to let a teammate do it they either don't know how themselves or they're not real concerned with athlete safety. I'd be looking hard at the door.

Do your coaches know how to spot a spin? If they told her to let a teammate do it they either don't know how themselves or they're not real concerned with athlete safety. I'd be looking hard at the door.

Looks like I missed this part!

Um. I'd definitely not only potentially look for the door, but talk to the owners because someone is putting safety at risk and they may or may not be aware.

I'm really not sure at this point. CP also wanted to worked jumps to tuck on dead floor, and they told her to have another athlete spot her again. I'm not sure if they won't spot her because its level 5 and they don't know how, or if for some reason they don't want to spot encase someone bails and they, heaven forbid, get an elbow in the face. :confused:

Up until this year we've never had a problem with the program; two of our other kids did make level 5 and are very happy. CP's told us that she's really frustrated and feels that there's no way for her to be challenged or progress at this point. But she also doesn't want to leave the program as she's never been anywhere else and all her siblings cheer here.

My eyes almost popped out of my head at coaches telling her to ask teammates for a spot. If I had hard proof or I saw a kid being spotted by another kid in front of a coach, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

Did they say it's a waste of their time or hers to work twisting skills? I'd never word it that way, but I personally don't focus on teaching kids on my team skills above our level during practice time until they have absolutely perfected everything I need from them that's level appropriate. I wouldn't tell them that taking an additional tumbling class on their own time to work higher level skills is a waste.

I feel that pulling kids up several levels to fill spots is unsafe for everyone involved, especially if its the majority of the team. It also just seems like a team built to fail.

Not sure how much financial commitment you've put in for this season or what the options in your area look like, but I'd be looking around for a different program that values the safety of my child more. If you're stuck, I'd recommend tumbling classes and stunt privates so she can learn and challenge herself and meet personal goals outside of the team.

My eyes almost popped out of my head at coaches telling her to ask teammates for a spot. If I had hard proof or I saw a kid being spotted by another kid in front of a coach, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

Did they say it's a waste of their time or hers to work twisting skills? I'd never word it that way, but I personally don't focus on teaching kids on my team skills above our level during practice time until they have absolutely perfected everything I need from them that's level appropriate. I wouldn't tell them that taking an additional tumbling class on their own time to work higher level skills is a waste.

I feel that pulling kids up several levels to fill spots is unsafe for everyone involved, especially if its the majority of the team. It also just seems like a team built to fail.

Not sure how much financial commitment you've put in for this season or what the options in your area look like, but I'd be looking around for a different program that values the safety of my child more. If you're stuck, I'd recommend tumbling classes and stunt privates so she can learn and challenge herself and meet personal goals outside of the team.

Thanks for the good advice.
To clarify, they told her it was a waste of her time to work twisting skills. I agree, that's definitely not what you should tell an athlete, especially one whom only wants to progress and please her coaches. I signed up for some tumbling classes at a gymnastics facility this morning, but its still really hard for her to go from throwing skills out of the gym, to going to practice and spending six hours a week bored and not feeling physically/mentally challenged.

There are two issues at hand here:

1. I may be considering pulling my kid if they were told to find a teammate to spot them. Or teach them. Or anything else.
2. Summer practices are not fun for anyone. Building new stunt groups takes time. I always take the summer practices to work basics, so everyone is a little bored but everyone needs to go over them. So there's a definite difference between being bored because practices are focusing on basics and being bored because your coaches aren't letting you challenge yourself.

I'm really not sure at this point. CP also wanted to worked jumps to tuck on dead floor, and they told her to have another athlete spot her again. I'm not sure if they won't spot her because its level 5 and they don't know how, or if for some reason they don't want to spot encase someone bails and they, heaven forbid, get an elbow in the face. :confused:

Up until this year we've never had a problem with the program; two of our other kids did make level 5 and are very happy. CP's told us that she's really frustrated and feels that there's no way for her to be challenged or progress at this point. But she also doesn't want to leave the program as she's never been anywhere else and all her siblings cheer here.
Coaches telling her to find teammates to spot is a huge red flag. Are you willing to take the risk of her being seriously injured?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Stacking, the PC term for sandbagging

Thanks for the good advice.
To clarify, they told her it was a waste of her time to work twisting skills. I agree, that's definitely not what you should tell an athlete, especially one whom only wants to progress and please her coaches. I signed up for some tumbling classes at a gymnastics facility this morning, but its still really hard for her to go from throwing skills out of the gym, to going to practice and spending six hours a week bored and not feeling physically/mentally challenged.

Seriously the 'have your teammates spot you' is WAY MORE CONCERNING than anything else. There is challenge in being on any team. Even if she isn't physically challenged she can work on the mental challenge of building up and helping her teammates improve.

BUT having other athletes spot you is a NO NO NO NO NO. I would run, not walk, away from that gym.

Latest posts

Back