All-Star What To Do When Your Athlete Isn't Being Challenged?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I ever caught one of my kids spotting another's tumbling, I think I'd lose it. Nevermind suggesting they do it. Huge issue right there.

RIGHT?!

My face:

7391050416_93b6f455ec_z.jpg

If there are other gyms on your area you are unsure of feel free to ask or of you don't feel comfortable putting out your area/current gym there are a few people you could try PM'ing that might be able to confidentially point you in the direction of someone that could answer some questions for you. @mstealtoyou is one of them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Stacking, the PC term for sandbagging

Silly question, but on the topic of moving gyms, will we need a release form for kids on a Worlds team? Or is this only needed after getting a bid/competing during the season. Thanks!

I believe Nov 1 is the cut off. Of you change now no release should be needed.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Stacking, the PC term for sandbagging

everyone already said what i have to say.

if the only issue were the lack of proper leveling of the team and you and your CPs loved their gym, i'd say stick it out. some of the greatest and most valuable life lessons are learned in those "sucky" team building years.

But if your child's safety is at risk, i'd say it's about time for farewells. that's not something you mess around with.

It is crazy to me that any gym ( on top of it your gym has a level 5 worlds team) would suggest kids spotting kids. Is it one specific coach? Maybe the owner/head coach is unaware. If so, maybe talk to the owner or head Coach in private. It is possible they might be thankful to be made aware of the situation and fix it ASAP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good advice.
To clarify, they told her it was a waste of her time to work twisting skills. I agree, that's definitely not what you should tell an athlete, especially one whom only wants to progress and please her coaches. I signed up for some tumbling classes at a gymnastics facility this morning, but its still really hard for her to go from throwing skills out of the gym, to going to practice and spending six hours a week bored and not feeling physically/mentally challenged.

The times I have heard this said usually rests in the fact that a coach is afraid if they get the skill then they (or the parent) will be pushing to be placed on the Level 5 team mid season and will cause serious drama if they are not. They feel like the kid/parent will forget about their commitment to be the best they can be for their current team because they are more focused on making another team. In their minds the kid begins to act like they are"too good' for this "baby team" or lower level team and cease to give their best efforts and energies to making this team better. I must admit I have also seen athletes who have busted their tail to get a full but refuse to work on a standing tuck or BHS series to tuck/Layout because "it was too hard and if they had a full they would have to make Level 5." Or worse they would dog their team practice at a lower level and come to tumbling and be the most amazing kid ever. So even though I disagree, I can see why some coaches have said these types of things.

I personally disagree with the mentality that it is a waste of time working twisting skills if she has a solid layout, is maxing other areas of Level 4 tumbling and is mentally ready. Drills, body position work, training the mind what to expect and what to do all can be done to get ready to twist way before one attempt is made at twisting. Educate the athlete that it takes more than just doing a full to be on a Level 5 team. Explain to them the differences between throwing a full in tumbling class with everyone cheering you on and doing it at the biggest competition of the year with first place on the line, the lights in your face, and knowing you have to hit or else.

I stand in agreement with the other posters that stated under no circumstances should a kid (or a parent who thinks it is easy to do what they see the coach do through the window) spot another child. Period. Major safety issue.

Seriously the 'have your teammates spot you' is WAY MORE CONCERNING than anything else. There is challenge in being on any team. Even if she isn't physically challenged she can work on the mental challenge of building up and helping her teammates improve.

BUT having other athletes spot you is a NO NO NO NO NO. I would run, not walk, away from that gym.

This! I read that and my heart tanked a little bit as I pulled my mouth up from the floor.

Latest posts

Back