What's Harder

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A two to a tuck is considered easier. In fact, this is a question on the tumbling credential test. (or at least it was when I took it.)

A two-to-tuck is easier because handspring are used to INCREASE power. Each handspring should be faster, and have more power than the previous one. If they don't, then the technique of your handspring needs work.​
Make sure you have a straight line running from your arms to feet in your BHS. Any time your have an acute angle in your body, like a shoulder angle (arms not fully extended) or a hip angle (legs piked down) you will lose power!​
Also, make sure your feet are in the right position when your connecting your tumbling. In the connection between two BHS, Your feet should be in front of you, and your body fully extended, reaching back. In the connection between the BHS and tuck, your feet should be more underneath you, and body fully extended, reaching UP.​
Anyways, hope this helps! And now you will hopefully get this question right the next time you test (or re-test) for your credentialing!​
-Coach Matt​
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness​

A two to a tuck is considered easier. In fact, this is a question on the tumbling credential test. (or at least it was when I took it.)

A two-to-tuck is easier because handspring are used to INCREASE power. Each handspring should be faster, and have more power than the previous one. If they don't, then the technique of your handspring needs work.​
Make sure you have a straight line running from your arms to feet in your BHS. Any time your have an acute angle in your body, like a shoulder angle (arms not fully extended) or a hip angle (legs piked down) you will lose power!​
Also, make sure your feet are in the right position when your connecting your tumbling. In the connection between two BHS, Your feet should be in front of you, and your body fully extended, reaching back. In the connection between the BHS and tuck, your feet should be more underneath you, and body fully extended, reaching UP.​
Anyways, hope this helps! And now you will hopefully get this question right the next time you test (or re-test) for your credentialing!​
-Coach Matt​
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness​

I know it´s off topic, but your replys are always so helpfull :)

If you have the right technique, a two to tuck is easier. If not, both is hard is guess.

Amen! Less strain on your back and wrists with one handspring!

Handsprings shouldn't put much strain on your back if your doing them correctly, and are properly conditioned. The spine should remain relatively neutral by lifting through your trunk, engaging your deep abdominal stabilizers. The arch for the handspring should come from opening/lifting through the shoulders, and extension through the hips.

In my experience, athletes who complain about wrist/lower back pain during back handsprings have one or more of the following:
  • Poor shoulder flexibility (causing excessive bending, and therefore pressure, on the middle to lower back)
  • Overly tight hip flexors (causing them to "pike down" which in turn keeps their chest down upon landing... again putting pressure on the lower back)
  • Weak glutes (occurs when hip flexors are too tight... see above)
  • Whip their head back during the first stage of the BHS
  • Have weak deep core stabilizing muscles (causing the upper and lower body to seem "disconnected" during the skill)
  • Have weak forearm muscles (the arms are not accustomed to bearing body weight... feels like shin splints in your arms... do more handstands to better prepare them!)

Handsprings shouldn't put much strain on your back if your doing them correctly, and are properly conditioned. The spine should remain relatively neutral by lifting through your trunk, engaging your deep abdominal stabilizers. The arch for the handspring should come from opening/lifting through the shoulders, and extension through the hips.

In my experience, athletes who complain about wrist/lower back pain during back handsprings have one or more of the following:
  • Poor shoulder flexibility (causing excessive bending, and therefore pressure, on the middle to lower back)
  • Overly tight hip flexors (causing them to "pike down" which in turn keeps their chest down upon landing... again putting pressure on the lower back)
  • Have weak deep core stabilizing muscles (causing the upper and lower body to seem "disconnected" during the skill)
  • Have weak forearm muscles (the arms are not accustomed to bearing body weight... feels like shin splints in your arms... do more handstands to better prepare them!)
What kinds of things do you recommend for proper conditioning of intermediate to advanced tumbling?

What kinds of things do you recommend for proper conditioning of intermediate to advanced tumbling?

Without getting into specific exercises and drills for specific skills and goals, my general recommendation is: high repetitions of basic skills, and skill components.

Tumbling is progressive. Every skill builds on the skills that came before it. The handstand is the root of a vast majority of the skills. Cartwheel - is a turning handstand that steps down, Round-off a turning handstand that snaps down, BHS - is jumping back into a tight-arch handstand, blocking, then snap down. FWO - Handstand that continues till you stand up again, BWO - A backwards handstand then step out.

If you have proper alignment in a handstand, and do high repetitions of them, you will improve your muscular endurance, strength, neuro-muscular efficiency, stability, and ability to produce quick, powerfull, movements through your shoulders, core, hips, and legs.

There is MUCH, MUCH, more i could write about conditioning. But if I had to give someone just ONE thing they could work on to improve tumbling in the middle-to-upper skill range, it would the handstand!

You talk exactly like my tumbling coach! Couldn't agree more with above, but I do have a back injury so adding any additional handsprings makes it harder.

Without getting into specific exercises and drills for specific skills and goals, my general recommendation is: high repetitions of basic skills, and skill components.

Tumbling is progressive. Every skill builds on the skills that came before it. The handstand is the root of a vast majority of the skills. Cartwheel - is a turning handstand that steps down, Round-off a turning handstand that snaps down, BHS - is jumping back into a tight-arch handstand, blocking, then snap down. FWO - Handstand that continues till you stand up again, BWO - A backwards handstand then step out.

If you have proper alignment in a handstand, and do high repetitions of them, you will improve your muscular endurance, strength, neuro-muscular efficiency, stability, and ability to produce quick, powerfull, movements through your shoulders, core, hips, and legs.

There is MUCH, MUCH, more i could write about conditioning. But if I had to give
someone just ONE thing they could work on to improve tumbling in the middle-to-upper skill range, it would the handstand!
Wow that is a lot of great information.

Could you give any suggestions with a standing backtuck?

Back