What's This Stunt? (l3)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 29, 2012
Starting at around 2.18 the centre stunt group perform a twisting inversion and the rest perform a regular inversion. Does this centre stunt have a specific name so I can research it, or could anyone possibly give me a break down if they've done it before?

Also, at level 3 are shushunovas legal, if so are they worth it? I don't have a lot of standing tumblers in my L3 team so I'm looking for easier tumbles I can teach (We don't really have access to good gymnastic facilities). Thanks very much!

I've heard it called a whirlybird (?)... we usually just refer to it as a level 3 front flip with a twist. It's fairly simple to perform. Assuming you already know how to do a regular level 3 front flip, when the backspot's arms are extended she simply crosses her right arm over her left and the flier looks to the left. For timing we usually say dip 1-2 throw 3 twist 4.

Thank you! We competed with regular front flips so I'll introduce these new twisting ones for next comp. Thanks for the advice!

Those are illegal for level 3! A 4 team we competed against got a warning for that stunt because the back wasn't holding on the entire time.

@embersglow
Those are illegal for level 3! A 4 team we competed against got a warning for that stunt because the back wasn't holding on the entire time.

I'm pretty sure in the video the back is holding on the whole time. Providing they do, it's legal at level 3 "Inversions are limited to a ½ twisting rotation.
Exception: Multi base suspended forward rolls may twist up to a full twisting rotation."

I'm not 100% sure about the shushanova. I know there's a rule about bearing the majority of the weight on your hands and feet before you land on the ground, but I can't find it to quote (although if you do it correctly that should happen anyway). I'm not even sure whether a shushanova would count as a tumble if I'm honest... You could try teaching "splats" -they seem to be one of the easier tumbling skills to teach/learn.

I'm pretty sure shushinovas are legal at any level (it's hidden under the General Safety Rules), but I think they count under jumps, not under tumbling.

Back