All-Star Which Athlete Would You Pick?? Asking Coaches Only Please

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Your Level 5 Worlds Team Needs 1 New Member -- A Main Base -- Which Athlete Do You Choose?

• Total voters
Another question to the coaches --

Would you prefer us parents to give our kids opportunities to be well rounded in cheer BUT keep reality in check as far as what the likelihood is of their future in stunting? Meaning if my 10 year old is already 5 foot tall and 90 pounds, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a senior team to learn to fly? Or my 10 year old is the smallest girl on her team and is crazy flexible, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a lower level youth team to learn to base? OBVIOUSLY there are always exceptions to that (the 10 year old that is 5 foot and 90 pounds that never grows another inch or pound and ends up flying when she is older). But for the most part, should we be asking for our CP's to have more opportunities to learn multiple aspects of stunting? Or be content with where their coaches feel they fit best on their age and level appropriate team?

I would love that the parents work together with the coaches to chart a plan that is best for that athlete and the gym. Whether it means crossing over or not, leveling up to challnge them or down to perfect them, or even going to another gyms so they can fly/base- or be on a level team they want to be on if there is no way we had a position for them. In most smaller gyms you defnitley need a more well rounded athlete to play multiple roles - esp if you lose athletes during the year to injury, attrition, changing gyms, etc. In gyms where you have a much larger pool of athletes it is much easier to specialize.

Would you prefer us parents to give our kids opportunities to be well rounded in cheer BUT keep reality in check as far as what the likelihood is of their future in stunting? Meaning if my 10 year old is already 5 foot tall and 90 pounds, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a senior team to learn to fly? Or my 10 year old is the smallest girl on her team and is crazy flexible, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a lower level youth team to learn to base? OBVIOUSLY there are always exceptions to that (the 10 year old that is 5 foot and 90 pounds that never grows another inch or pound and ends up flying when she is older). But for the most part, should we be asking for our CP's to have more opportunities to learn multiple aspects of stunting? Or be content with where their coaches feel they fit best on their age and level appropriate team?

When do we evaluate safety/overuse into the equation when looking at crossover? One elite team is enough for me. Everyone has a bright future ahead of them beyond cheering and I would hate to see body aching before their time. I would potentially agree to crossovers IF and only IF there were more conditioning and stretching in our sport but there isn't so I will stick to one team only.

When do we evaluate safety/overuse into the equation when looking at crossover? One elite team is enough for me. Everyone has a bright future ahead of them beyond cheering and I would hate to see body aching before their time. I would potentially agree to crossovers IF and only IF there were more conditioning and stretching in our sport but there isn't so I will stick to one team only.

I WANT agree with this except I have seen numerous kids crossover from level 5 to level 5 for 7-8 years and never have a single injury, well a serious injury anyway. Maybe a pulled muscle or something like that but nothing season ending. However, I am in complete agreement with you that our sport needs more conditioning and stretching REGARDLESS of crossovers.

I WANT agree with this except I have seen numerous kids crossover from level 5 to level 5 for 7-8 years and never have a single injury, well a serious injury anyway. Maybe a pulled muscle or something like that but nothing season ending. However, I am in complete agreement with you that our sport needs more conditioning and stretching REGARDLESS of crossovers.

I agree that in the short term they have been fortunate enough not to have a serious injury. The reality is its a risk you are taking. Maybe I feel more that way because my CP is a tumlber. We limit her to begin with for fear of injury.

Its good to be well rounded in all positions, and I think that the younger a child is exposed to more stunting the positions, the least likely they'll be end up being that cheerleader that says "I can only fly"..."I can only main" ... "I can only back". They're more well rounded and appreciate every position more

There is also nothing worst then ending up with an itty bitty senior aged girl on a senior team that has never stepped foot in the air..

From personal experience since I was tiny my whole life....it was either fly or front spot...I always wanted to learn to base but no other flyer would let me base them (shame on them)....when I got to college they would try to put me as the middle level of a pyramid and I would literally collapse everytime because I wasn't used to the body weight....Had someone at least let me base an extension prior to college cheer, it wouldnt have been such a shock. By the end of college I could base extensions, libs and back... (I can only main tho...).

I have seen numerous kids crossover from level 5 to level 5 for 7-8 years and never have a single injury, well a serious injury anyway. Maybe a pulled muscle or something like that but nothing season ending.

i'm extremely jealous of those kids.

Back