Why Is It A Flyer Has To Have The Left Leg In The Air?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MissBee my post wasn't really in response to the question. Sorry :oops:

If you watch actual international teams, you'll see that a lot fly on the other leg because when cheering started overseas, we only had youtube videos to figure things out. I think there were a few European teams that competed at worlds that flew on the left leg and some teams still doubled down to the left, others to the right.

Miss Bee's anser is probably the best explanation you'll get. It's still good to be versatile as a flyer, especially if you coach likes tick tocks, or your name is Suzie.

MissBee my post wasn't really in response to the question. Sorry :oops:

If you watch actual international teams, you'll see that a lot fly on the other leg because when cheering started overseas, we only had youtube videos to figure things out. I think there were a few European teams that competed at worlds that flew on the left leg and some teams still doubled down to the left, others to the right.

Miss Bee's anser is probably the best explanation you'll get. It's still good to be versatile as a flyer, especially if you coach likes tick tocks, or your name is Suzie.

My response wasn't directed at you love! And you're right, you need to be versatile in the event of pyramids, tick tocks or random Suzie attacks.

My gym in Norway stands on both legs right now. We changed standingleg after nationals, but not all teams have made the change yet. I think we stood on the left leg before, because the first flyers we had were more flexible standing on their left leg. I'm in a group stunt and we stand on both legs and I don't think that it changes the way points are given.

I'll look that up! I'm so angry at myself for learning all my flexibility stuff on my right leg! Well, i guess that means more stretching for me! Haha
no no no! I was being silly! It's actually been discussed often on here and the general consensus is its bc guys are typically stronger with their right arm so it's easier for girls to learn to fly on their right leg than it is for guys to learn how to be left-handed.
At least that's what I was told when I cheered in college many moons ago....

I'll look that up! I'm so angry at myself for learning all my flexibility stuff on my right leg! Well, i guess that means more stretching for me! Haha

Just something to remember when working on flexibility, you should always do both legs evenly... But if you don't remember that if you're standing on your right leg then your left leg has to be flexible in front and behind, so both splits are equally useful. Or was it just me who missed that to start with?!

no no no! I was being silly! It's actually been discussed often on here and the general consensus is its bc guys are typically stronger with their right arm so it's easier for girls to learn to fly on their right leg than it is for guys to learn how to be left-handed.
At least that's what I was told when I cheered in college many moons ago....
I actually looked it up and found something about cheer rules xDDDD

I always thought more people could do the left leg scorpion better since its basically the right legged splits... or is that just me?

I always thought more people could do the left leg scorpion better since its basically the right legged splits... or is that just me?

That is only assuming that you are better in your right legged splits... I am a lefty and I am wayyyy more flexible in my left leg splits so I can do a stretch but have a super hard time with my scorp because I'm so lopsided in my flexibility.

And there are actually one or two teams in Washington that fly all of their elite seq on their left leg, I think Woodinville Falcons (they might be evergreen allstars or something like that now) and one other smaller gym around the area.

There is no "correct leg". It's almost become a faux pas to fly on the "other" leg now. Get your flexibility on both legs (which you should do anyway because it isn't healthy for your back to have one side stronger than the other) and you won't have to worry about it.

As Miss Bee said, back in the day when there was no all-star, it was common to learn for co-ed stunting to stand on right. Otherwise, there is no real reason, however, since I am so used to seeing it standing on right it weirds me out!!! Also most full dows go left so to full down when your right leg is up crosses over your body and it is just difficult, unless you full right, but I haven't seen that in years!

I agree with what everyone is saying. It doesnt matter what leg you fly on. People have dominate legs though. just like eyes and hands. Most people are right legged so they feel more comfortabe on their right leg. And you should be equaly flexible on each leg.

There's no rule that says you can't, it's just kind of frowned upon. Whenever I see a team do it I kind of automatically knock them down a little in my head. Its very rec/middle school.

Back