All-Star Why Would A Gym Close And Reopen With A New Name/location

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
I'm researching a gym and I have learned that a few years ago they were operating under a different name and in a different location a few miles away.

They don't advertise 'formerly known as' but the information is not really hidden either. It was easy enough to find old websites with details about the former program including owners/coaches names and photo's. There are not any lawsuits associated with the former gyms name and it is unclear whether any lawsuits associated with the owners name are related to the gym. There is at least one ranty post online accusing the former gym/owners of some nasty stuff but that could be an outlier, every program has a few unhappy parents at some point.

I always give the benefit of the doubt so what are legitimate reasons for closing down and opening back up under a different name?

Same owners? I've heard of gyms changing the gym name and registering a new business name so that old debts can't come back to haunt them, but that was in a situation in which the gym was bought out.

Same owners? I've heard of gyms changing the gym name and registering a new business name so that old debts can't come back to haunt them, but that was in a situation in which the gym was bought out.

old owner is still very involved but there is a new official owner .

Legitimate reason #1, 80% of first time business owners fail in the first five years. Failing to me isn't a red flag. But, a little off topic, I would like to see EP's and gym owners providing some type of "proof of purchase" for these items that require large deposits and payments early on in the season....

EP's could list gyms by comp as they register or have a portal by gym where members could log in to see if their gym has paid. As far as, uniforms, music and choreography, as long as I have agreed to pay a certain amount for something, I don't care if that number is padded, but I do care if it is paid. It would be nice to get some type of email from those companies that could be forwarded to gym members stating a deposit of ___% has been put down, full payment is required on ____, the delivery window is ____, and a statement when paid in full. I do feel there is a happy medium between full transparency and absolute blind trust.

Last edited:
One of the gyms sort of near me is under a new name this year as its previous owner has cancer. The old owner sold the business to one of the coaches that worked there but I believe will still be around as they are able. To me that is a pretty legit reason

Legitimate reason #1, 80% of first time business owners fail in the first five years. Failing to me isn't a red flag. But, a little off topic, I would like to see EP's and gym owners providing some type of "proof of purchase" for these items that require large deposits and payments early on in the season....

EP's could list gyms by comp as they register or have a portal by gym where members could log in to see if their gym has paid. As far as, uniforms, music and choreography, as long as I have agreed to pay a certain amount for something, I don't care if that number is padded, but I do care if it is paid. It would be nice to get some type of email from those companies that could be forwarded to gym members stating a deposit of ___% has been put down, full payment is required on ____, the delivery window is ____, and a statement when paid in full. I do feel there is a happy medium between full transparency and absolute blind trust.

I honestly feel that THIS is a reason that gyms should have one (or two) office managers/front of house type staff. Never just take someone telling you "it's paid" - I once had a parent who would ask for a receipt, sign off on the cost sheet what was being paid as well as the date paid and the staff members signature who took the payment. It took a minute but I was more than happy to always do it.

If you are attending a USASF event, and your gym has paid, it should be evident in the USASF membership id page that you have to individually sign in to see.

The site is currently under maintnance, otherwise I would tell you specifically how to access it. But I know that I was able to see my child registered at every comp (including as a crossover) by early Sept. It really impressed me to know that I was at a gym where the money was going to what it was supposed to.

If you are attending a USASF event, and your gym has paid, it should be evident in the USASF membership id page that you have to individually sign in to see.

The site is currently under maintnance, otherwise I would tell you specifically how to access it. But I know that I was able to see my child registered at every comp (including as a crossover) by early Sept. It really impressed me to know that I was at a gym where the money was going to what it was supposed to.

That is impressive and thank you for letting me know.

Is it maybe a situation where the gym got bought out a gym pretty close to my is having this situation this year where the it got bought out and changed locations it's not hidden that is used to be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back