Working Tucks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

123jump4!

Cheer Parent
Aug 24, 2014
CP was tumbling at a gymnastics place for a few months because she needed more hands-on coaching to get better at her BHS. It did help her and she made a level 2 half year team.

They also let her work on her tuck which I first thought was good because she needed a confidence boost. She loved it and has it on track. Now I'm thinking it wasn't good for her BHS that she's still undercutting sometimes. Her body needs to fully get used to jumping BACK in the BHS before she should start working tucks that you jump UP in? Is this the reason it's not recommended to work tucks before you have a very solid BHS?

She really wants to work tucks again but she knows she has to have a great BHS first. She told me she did standing 2 and ROBHS x 3 the other day (at cheer) so it sounds like she's getting better. I'm sure the coaches will tell her when she's ready to move up to level 3 class, I'm just curious what the procedure normally is. :)

CP was tumbling at a gymnastics place for a few months because she needed more hands-on coaching to get better at her BHS. It did help her and she made a level 2 half year team.

They also let her work on her tuck which I first thought was good because she needed a confidence boost. She loved it and has it on track. Now I'm thinking it wasn't good for her BHS that she's still undercutting sometimes. Her body needs to fully get used to jumping BACK in the BHS before she should start working tucks that you jump UP in? Is this the reason it's not recommended to work tucks before you have a very solid BHS?

She really wants to work tucks again but she knows she has to have a great BHS first. She told me she did standing 2 and ROBHS x 3 the other day (at cheer) so it sounds like she's getting better. I'm sure the coaches will tell her when she's ready to move up to level 3 class, I'm just curious what the procedure normally is. :)
If her BHS isn't solid, there isn't any good reason to start throwing tucks. Is she working drills, or is her coach spotting her on tucks?

If her BHS isn't solid, there isn't any good reason to start throwing tucks. Is she working drills, or is her coach spotting her on tucks?

Both. And she did them by herself on the tumbling track and off a folded panel mat, I think with ok technique. But the BHS still had bad technique sometimes. I made her quit the gymnastics place (against her will) so she's not working tucks anymore. In her cheer tumbling class she's only working on perfecting her BHS right now.

Both. And she did them by herself on the tumbling track and off a folded panel mat, I think with ok technique. But the BHS still had bad technique sometimes. I made her quit the gymnastics place (against her will) so she's not working tucks anymore. In her cheer tumbling class she's only working on perfecting her BHS right now.
I wouldn't be too thrilled about her coach spotting her on tucks. If her RO BHS isn't strong, he/she is likely doing most of the work, which creates bad habits.

I wouldn't be too thrilled about her coach spotting her on tucks. If her RO BHS isn't strong, he/she is likely doing most of the work, which creates bad habits.

She doesn't go there anymore and no one is spotting her on tucks at the moment.

Do you think working on tucks can confuse someone who doesn't have a really strong BHS yet? Because you jump up in tucks and back in a back handspring? That was my main question. :)

She doesn't go there anymore and no one is spotting her on tucks at the moment.

Do you think working on tucks can confuse someone who doesn't have a really strong BHS yet? Because you jump up in tucks and back in a back handspring? That was my main question. :)

Two different skills. Two different techniques. I know many people that can throw a standing tuck, but not a standing handspring, or visa versa. One does not dictate if you can do the other.

However, connecting a running pass. A perfect round-off and a perfect standing back handspring isolated is the MUST HAVE prerequisite for a perfect roundoff backhandspring. Roundoff backhandspring should be solid before adding a tuck to the end of that pass.

There is a culture with cheer tumbling that goes something like... as soon as Suzie can throw a half-decent ROBH, get them to start connecting a tuck. Which may be a quick progression to start.. but will cause many blocks both physical and mental down the road when she starts twisting, or adding more connecting skills etc.

You indicated she quit the gymnastics instruction, can I ask why?.... I would consider finding a gymnastics or power tumbling coach to work with your daughter. There is much more emphasis on perfection before progression with those coaches. Which in turn will allow your CP to progress much further in the years to come.

My good friend Sahil could talk about this in great detail. Check out his website, he does a great job explaining progressions and drills: Tumbling Drills, Clinics & Private Lessons For Cheer / Gymnastics

Two different skills. Two different techniques. I know many people that can throw a standing tuck, but not a standing handspring, or visa versa. One does not dictate if you can do the other.

However, connecting a running pass. A perfect round-off and a perfect standing back handspring isolated is the MUST HAVE prerequisite for a perfect roundoff backhandspring. Roundoff backhandspring should be solid before adding a tuck to the end of that pass.

There is a culture with cheer tumbling that goes something like... as soon as Suzie can throw a half-decent ROBH, get them to start connecting a tuck. Which may be a quick progression to start.. but will cause many blocks both physical and mental down the road when she starts twisting, or adding more connecting skills etc.

You indicated she quit the gymnastics instruction, can I ask why?.... I would consider finding a gymnastics or power tumbling coach to work with your daughter. There is much more emphasis on perfection before progression with those coaches. Which in turn will allow your CP to progress much further in the years to come.

My good friend Sahil could talk about this in great detail. Check out his website, he does a great job explaining progressions and drills: Tumbling Drills, Clinics & Private Lessons For Cheer / Gymnastics

Thanks for your response! She quit gymnastics because they let her work on tucks and I started to think it was messing with her BHS, she kept jumping up too much (and not back). Now that she hasn't done any tucks for a few weeks her BHS has improved. That's why I was wondering if she could have got "confused". :)

They work on tumbling in her cheer team practices and she goes to a level 2 tumbling class at cheer, as well as the odd private. I think that's enough for now.

I will check your link, thanks!

Back