All-Star Worlds Info Packet

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to say the 1st time I went to Worlds I was shocked at the size of both the Milk House and the Jostens and the Jostens, omg I couldnt believe we traveled across the country to sit in whats the size of a large high school gymnasium with folding chairs. Milk House is the size of a small college gymnasium. I expected much more of a production from the back drops to the lighting all of it was blah. I expected it because it was Worlds, right

Probably the smallest venue we perform at the entire season. Not knowing a lot about cheer we walked into the Milk House watched a couple of teams and walked out. What I see on TV or on videos and what I've heard NCA really takes your breath away. That's what I expect from Worlds

That's why cracks me up. So many people chime in here that "worlds is NOT worlds unless it is in the Milkhouse." Having never even, it sounds like the Milkhouse sucks!

On the topic, it is sad that there needs to be a rule about celebrating but I understand 100% where it came from. Some of the displays were embarrassing, yes, but a time limit would be a more practical application. I love the idea of a click everyone can see, and giving each team 3:30 to get out, set, perform and off. (Or 4:00 I need be.).

I think as an international fan who has been to watch worlds for the past 2 years, I would LOVE to have gone to NCA instead but my classes on the Friday and Monday at that point just don't allow. I have never considered NCA before as I wasn't sure how accessible it was however, @ASCheerMan has opened my eyes to the prospect of going as a spectator in 2014. I would love to go to NCA Nationals in the future instead, as I now feel 'unwelcome' at worlds as they have put prices up due to too many people there who don't NEED to be there as spectators aka..me!

As a total outsider of this situation being 5 years away from my cp even being worlds age eligible.. I hope to see a lot of these problems work themselves out before I get there if we are still in the game.

I coach high level jumping horses and for years until I went off to college, our national horse show (which I would liken to worlds for part of the sport - the non Olympic version) was held in NY ah madison square garden, and well... If you've ever been to NYC (and the garden) you can only imagine the logistical nightmare that is getting the horses into the city, housing them and setting up the arena floor. I guess it's been more than 10 years now since they pulled it out of there for the last time. (Hard to believe!) people complained nonstop about the loss of a million year old tradition and how moving it away would make it less important. It has been so good for the growth of our sport though, and makes soo much more sense. We still have a qualifying show in downtown Washington DC and that one is such a PITA it makes my head hurt to think about it. My kids love to show there (again with the tradition)but for us adults if just plain sucks.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if you want to grow your sport you eventually have to accept that change is inevitable and that's a GOOD thing! No clue where they'd move it and I do understand the necessity of riding out the Disney contract but surely it's not an eternal one and a future plan could be put in place.

ASCheerMan the obvious class of your competition is well noted in your representation of it here and that is greatly commendable. I hope that down the road we are still involved and find myself in Dallas one day. Sounds like the kind of competition I'd like to attend. :)

An athlete calling unnecessary attention to
her/himself (i.e. high 5’s, chest bumps, etc.)
Really???? No high fiving? Guess that means no handshakes this year...........

What if the price increase aiming to deter attendance doesn't actually work? What if the love of the sport wins out? What if everyone comes anyway? (Field Of Dreams moment...If you build it they will come...cars for miles) Will my $40 a day and the $30 per session price guarantee me an actual seat or will they just oversell the event like they do every year? Will I have my premium price ticket in hand and be stopped at the door because of overcrowding? I don't see that addressed anywhere in the packet information and that is concerning me.

I believe the hope is that enough fans will be turned off by the price that the crowding issue won't be as bad. I'm not sure that is enough. The ones that won't be able to afford it are the "fans" of the teams who typically are college- or high-school aged. It bothers me that we aren't doing more to encourage that demographic, but the venue simply doesn't give them much choice, unfortunately.

Ideas to improve the event.

1. Move it somewhere else. Obviously.

Why this won't happen. Contract through 2015?

In exchange for the massive profit that Disney has built into the hotel and hopper passes ("Mouse Tax"), they are more than happy to provide transportation, the venue, and even provide the staging and security. In fairness, these are things that USASF would have to arrange on it's own otherwise. This would be much more work on the part of an already over-worked staff.

compromise: Unsure what the buyout penalty of the contract is. Assuming contract is up - Let all Tier 1 event producers bid (in an open, public, and honest way) for "hosting" the event. That event producer does not get any additional signage or exposure beyond what they normally would, they just get cash in exchange for their services. (It wouldn't be "Worlds presented by JAM Brands" or anything similar.) USASF simply provides judges & scoring and possibly administers the registration system.

2. Completely eliminate "VIP" seating and use that space for more team-specific fans. They, in theory, could have a more organized system that shuffled groups in for a single performance and then out the door. Standing room only and unless you have coach credentials for the next team as well, EVERYONE in that group must leave to make way for the next group. This way, ALL parents and other athletes from the program would essentially get a guaranteed place to be to see THEIR team. These people would NOT get to see any of the other teams before or after theirs. Priority in the group given to people directly associated with that team.

Why this won't happen: Event Producers feel entitled to the best seats. They represent the majority of the people making the decision.

Compromise: Find another way to provide equal value to those event producers. (give them another perk that they want just as much as those seats.) Put their names in more places. Make each teams' event where the qualified more prominent during the performances. Give them badges that let them get into the "Fan Zone" during the performances of "their" teams. Open to other suggestions.

An athlete calling unnecessary attention to
her/himself (i.e. high 5’s, chest bumps, etc.)
Really???? No high fiving? Guess that means no handshakes this year...........
I wonder if walking off the mat arm-in-arm would be considered hugging and receive a deduction?

I think as an international fan who has been to watch worlds for the past 2 years, I would LOVE to have gone to NCA instead but my classes on the Friday and Monday at that point just don't allow. I have never considered NCA before as I wasn't sure how accessible it was however, @ASCheerMan has opened my eyes to the prospect of going as a spectator in 2014. I would love to go to NCA Nationals in the future instead, as I now feel 'unwelcome' at worlds as they have put prices up due to too many people there who don't NEED to be there as spectators aka..me!
Beware at NCA, spectators can be downright mean about saving seats!

Last year.. I loved exaggerated and theatrical movements.

This year.. I love exaggerated and theatrical celebrations.

My trip to Worlds has never cost more than $350 (airfare, car rental, hotel, tickets, food). Admission is going to take up most of that budget now. RIP Worlds trip every year.

If you don't mind me asking, how was it that you were able to do it with less than 500 each year? Haha I live in the southern part of WI, right off of the IL border. It has always been my dream to go to Worlds, I've been saving for a while now and think that this year I MIGHT be able to go. Now that they raised the price, idk if I can go anymore... I was banking on around 800, but maybe it could be less. Any suggestions for me?

There are almost always SOME seats - they just may not be the best ones. Even the worst seats are better than being stuck in a line outside the building, however.
Amen to this!! And speaking of being stuck outside.. I find it interesting that Large Coed & Large All girl are both on Sunday... For some reason I think this may be an issue! ;) Guess we better bring our sleeping bags!

Amen to this!! And speaking of being stuck outside.. I find it interesting that Large Coed & Large All girl are both on Sunday... For some reason I think this may be an issue! ;) Guess we better bring our sleeping bags!

I think the thinking is that you'll still have a lot of people competing that day from prelims, so the milkhouse won't be packed with athletes who didn't make finals like it usually is on Finals day. They'll be busy worrying about their routine and their own team. That will cut down on a good chunk of spectators, especially if they do those finals earlier rather than later.

If you stay off disney property you can get a hotel/condo for less than 75 a night. Some flights are cheaper than others just depending on where you live and when you book.
That's what we did when we went in 2009. And renting a car was minimal.

Back