All-Star Worst Deductions Ever/can You Even Be Deducted For This?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The judges didn't make this rule, the Event Producer did.
I know, but the judges have to enforce those rules. I couldn't do it--so it's a good thing I'm not a judge!

yeah but the stuff we say on facebook as our status or in chat and thats considerded english so there must be exeptions and i had everything u listed just not a capital letter
In a forum where reading is the only form of communication, the way you post is a representation of yourself. People who don't bother to use proper spelling/capitalization/punctuation/grammar come across as either unintelligent or lazy. If you're neither unintelligent nor lazy, then don't represent yourself as being such. :) I'm sure you're very smart - just please try to understand other people's perceptions are based on how you post.

I wouldn't have a problem with a "short nail requirement"', I wish they had one in HS basketball. My oldest has a 2 inch scar on her arm from an opponent with too long nails. When I think of the mishaps that can occur in stunting, short nails make sense to me as a safety Issue. JMO

if you stick your tongue out during a stunt that could also be a deduction because its just so gross and profound.

if you stick your tongue out during a stunt that could also be a deduction because its just so gross and profound.

I've heard of this. For rec. cheer competitions(this was like 10 years ago though) if you did anything besides smile they would deduct you. They especially hated winking so I learned. :rolleyes:
So in order to make sure we did nothing but smile, our coaches put vaseline on our teeth! Now that is gross.

So as far as bows/shoes/whatever falling off... is it an acutal deduction if, say, a shoe falls off? You always hear, "Don't touch it; leave it alone." But is it a deduction if you move the item? I think it should not be if you simply moved it out of the way for safety purposes. A few weeks ago, though, a girl lost a shoe and she picked it up and THREW it WAY off the floor. I wondered if that might be a deduction? Is it up to each judge? Is there any official rules about that stuff anywhere?

So as far as bows/shoes/whatever falling off... is it an acutal deduction if, say, a shoe falls off? You always hear, "Don't touch it; leave it alone." But is it a deduction if you move the item? I think it should not be if you simply moved it out of the way for safety purposes. A few weeks ago, though, a girl lost a shoe and she picked it up and THREW it WAY off the floor. I wondered if that might be a deduction? Is it up to each judge? Is there any official rules about that stuff anywhere?
It really depends on the event and the specific safety judge. I've always been told if a bow or shoe falls off throw if safely off to the side of the floor. I believe It would be a deduction to move the item ONLY if you hit someone with it because then that would be unsafe use of props. I think most judges usually respect an attempt to get the item off the floor. As for cursing, I would think that would be vulgarity points

I wouldn't have a problem with a "short nail requirement"', I wish they had one in HS basketball. My oldest has a 2 inch scar on her arm from an opponent with too long nails. When I think of the mishaps that can occur in stunting, short nails make sense to me as a safety Issue. JMO

I wish a short nail requirement would be enforced in cheerleading. I know I got stabbed/scratched with long nails more than a few times and it wasn't pretty. I'm not sure I understand why schools/anyone would deduct for nail polish, though. Where's the safety risk in that?

I've deducted for vulgar language in music while judging rec competitions way too many times. There are SO MANY songs out there... Why do you have to pick the part with cursing or sexual innuendos when creating music for a team of 10 year olds? I feel bad for the kids when I do it, but a lesson needs to be taught to the coaches letting them perform to that music.

Also... as a judge, I can't wrap my head around a lot of these posts. Some of these things sound too stupid to possibly be true. Also also, if you managed to get away with performing an illegal skill for half-almost all of the season, don't be mad at the judges that finally busted you for it. It's like speeding... say you drive 100 in a 45 every day and don't get caught for 3 weeks. When you finally get pulled over, are you going to say, "but I got away with it all those other times"? No. It was always illegal, you just got lucky for a while.

I wish a short nail requirement would be enforced in cheerleading. I know I got stabbed/scratched with long nails more than a few times and it wasn't pretty. I'm not sure I understand why schools/anyone would deduct for nail polish, though. Where's the safety risk in that?

I've deducted for vulgar language in music while judging rec competitions way too many times. There are SO MANY songs out there... Why do you have to pick the part with cursing or sexual innuendos when creating music for a team of 10 year olds? I feel bad for the kids when I do it, but a lesson needs to be taught to the coaches letting them perform to that music.

Also... as a judge, I can't wrap my head around a lot of these posts. Some of these things sound too stupid to possibly be true. Also also, if you managed to get away with performing an illegal skill for half-almost all of the season, don't be mad at the judges that finally busted you for it. It's like speeding... say you drive 100 in a 45 every day and don't get caught for 3 weeks. When you finally get pulled over, are you going to say, "but I got away with it all those other times"? No. It was always illegal, you just got lucky for a while.

You can check finger nails for blood circulation. If they're covered with paint you cannot.

In my province (Quebec, Canada), there are 2 verification stations before competing where they check the length of your nails, if you are wearing nail polish and piercings. Also, all teams are required to provide a binder with photocopies of each athlete's medicare card (both to ensure identity/age and in case of injury. Because it is a government run sport, we must follow certain strict rules at all events run by the Quebec Cheerleading Federation. Not adhering to these rules is usually a 10 point penalty per athlete.Most of us are used to it by now but I must admit it sometimes seems a little ridiculous to see them checking tongues and bellybuttons on a mini team lol

Latest posts

Back