All-Star Would It Be Better To...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let me add more clarification to my original intent. I should have been more specific when I made up my teams. It is that every cheerleader that was listed as tumbling could do max level passes. I.e. all the minis with BHS could do BWO BHS or complex BHS passes such as front walkover round off handspring step out round off hand spring hand spring. Then there were the few minis that couldn't tumble at all. Same with youth. All the tuck kids could do series/complex (bhs stepout ro bhs tuck) BHS with jumps and complex passes to tucks with again the same few kids who have no level 3 skills

Bottom line: Do you hold a team back based on only a few non-tumblers but struggling stunters?

If its less then (lets say 10%) of your team, I would say go for the higher level (If they could max it out)
Varsity sheets say that a skill must be completed by half +1 t be majority.
If its only 3/4 kids, they would be easy to hide and you would still get full credit. But this would only be beneficial if the entire rest of the team could compete the max skills in their level, with medium to high technique. The more kids that you have ducking/hiding during tumbling, the more passes need to be thrown by others, and the higher the technique will have to be to make up for the lower difficulty (if the amount of kids not participating is noticeable)

My final advice would be to do what looks cleanest. Varsity score sheets reward heavily for cleanness. I you could not bet your bottom dollar that 95% of those girls throwing passes will do them with HIGH technique, then I would go with the easier skill that you could guarantee clean.
A team that competes clean simple skills might get a 4.2 (out of 5.) on difficulty, but a .9 (out of 1.0)on technique (5.1 total)
Level two might get a 4.8 out of 5 on difficulty, but if they score a .2 (out of 1.0) on technique, (5.0 total) they end up losing.

CLEAN will ALWAYS win.

CLEAN will ALWAYS win.

I tell my girls this ALL THE TIME! It's nice to want to do every trick in the rule book, but clean beats sloppy difficulty anyday!

I would def stick with the lower level. Master the techniques and then venture into the higher level. Confidence is key, especially when perfecting the technique IMO.

I tell my girls this ALL THE TIME! It's nice to want to do every trick in the rule book, but clean beats sloppy difficulty anyday!

I would def stick with the lower level. Master the techniques and then venture into the higher level. Confidence is key, especially when perfecting the technique IMO.
When you Build strong technique, you build a strong program for now and the future!

When you Build strong technique, you build a strong program for now and the future!

I couldn't agree more! If you drill technique in the earlier years/levels, you won't have to spend so much time "correcting" what should have been mastered before progression to the next level. That wide leg bhs, High "U" instead of a High V, etc. When the girls/guys move on to more difficult stunting and tumbling the technique should already be perfected. It makes for cleaner routines IMO.......

Our small youth 2 had 7 kids without bhs last year. Got 4th at UCA and had they not had a fall they would have been in 2nd. They had a pretty simple routine but it was clean and sharp. So all this about difficulty difficulty difficulty doesn't really mean squat.

I would rather dominate in a level 1 than struggle at a level 2. I would rather feel confident in what i'm doing than have to worry "am i going to be able to do this?" and stress out. But, that's me.

Back