All-Star Would You Be Upset If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
This one is for all those moms of the under-five crowd, or anyone who can think back to that time. If your child was or had been in cheerleading at the time would you:

a. Have been upset if your child was put in time out or not allowed to participate in some activities
b. If your child was brought to you and asked to sit out for the rest of class because of continued inappropriate behavior
c. Be upset if a young assistant were disciplining your child

Please help me out with this, I'm having some discipline troubles with our Tiny Ex team.

Expectations are:
-Ask before you leave the area
-Keep your hands to yourself
-No talking while the coaches are talking
-Colors (little squares they stand on) stay on the ground
-Pay attention (within reason for three year olds)

Sounds reasonable to me. I think our tiny/mini coaches call it "chill time". Of course, I think it's more for the coaches to chill than the kids ;)

I think those are all fair expectations. My child started at 3 and all of those were applied to her at one time or another. As long as both the parent and the child are aware of the rules and consequences I say proceed.

The only one I may have an issue with if it were a young assistant disciplining my child, only if it were another cheerleader at the gym though. For example, we have had Senior aged athletes help with our Tiny team in the past. The other two happened frequently with my CP on her first season of Mini 1, and she learned a great deal from that.

Expectations are:
-Ask before you leave the area
-Keep your hands to yourself
-No talking while the coaches are talking
-Colors (little squares they stand on) stay on the ground
-Pay attention (within reason for three year olds)

I always like to remind my three year olds..."It is my turn to speak and your turn to listen, that means no sounds are coming out of your mouth" LOL I swear to you some kids don't understand what "No talking while the teacher is talking" means...so I remind them...umm sometimes often.

I also have my kids sit on colored poly spot circles. In the beginning of the year I have them practice sitting and standing on them without touching them...the buzz word when they are having trouble NOT touching them is "hands on your knees" or "hands on your hips" which catches all of there attention a little bit like "Simon Says" LOL. Make it a game and they will remember it.

We have beaded necklaces for when they leave the room for the bathroom or anything else. Two necklaces prevent all the children from wanting to use the bathroom at the same time. I hate that rush for the bathroom... You can say "Awe I'm sorry both necklaces are being used, you will have to wait until someone comes back". (PS if they are doing the pee pee dance let them go with or without the necklace)

By the second week of school I can pretty much tell what child can pay attention but is choosing not to verses the child who can not pay attention because they are unable to. I would be very aware of the particular child that is unable to control themselves. They are often impulsive and the ones doing all the poking and pushing because it is beyond there control but it is up to you to make sure everyone stays safe. They need a lot of redirection like "Look in my eyes Lauren...are you hearing my words?" In a kind way...not an accusatory way. Many kids really are not taking information in if they are not looking at you.

Take what I say with a grain of salt...just imparting some experience and sending it into the universe for anyone to use or not. LOL

Ok - at first my thought was yes I would be upset, thinking about my daughter who started cheering at 5 about to turn 6. She took it very serious and I would have been shocked if her coaches had to do any of this.

Then I read some responses and thought about my son who's first season was when he was 4/5. He was a squigly worm and there where quite a few times that we asked the coaches if we should pull him because he was distracting the rest of the team. If they had used any of these with him I would have completely understood.

I guess the big thing would have been wether or not we were told ahead of time what the expectations were and the consequences.

By the second week of school I can pretty much tell what child can pay attention but is choosing not to verses the child who can not pay attention because they are unable to. I would be very aware of the particular child that is unable to control themselves. They are often impulsive and the ones doing all the poking and pushing because it is beyond there control but it is up to you to make sure everyone stays safe. They need a lot of redirection like "Look in my eyes Lauren...are you hearing my words?" In a kind way...not an accusatory way. Many kids really are not taking information in if they are not looking at you.

I get you completely. I firmly believe a couple of my children have undiagnosed ADHD and use special tactics to help them stay focused. In addition we have a child with cerebral palsy on the team who requires special attention (we sign to her.) All of this I can handle...
What I am at the end of my rope at is with whiny, spoiled, bratty kids who are constantly disobeying, throwing fits, and causing problems. I'm a pretty forgiving person and usually give a child a few practices to adjust before they become one of my "problems." But after ten practices I feel the constant temper tantrums over nothing (But I wanted to stand next to Lucy, I want to jump on the trampoline NOW) are not simple "adjusting." These are the kids who I can tell have very absent parents because they are not used to having any rules. But I feel the adjustment period is over and it's time for the consequences to kick in.

PS. I have one little girl who when I say "I want you to look at and tell me what I just said" will purposely cover her eyes.

I would send a note home to the parents expressing that you have been experiencing a 'rough road' at practice and ask then to go over the rules ( state them again even if you think they know them). Then explain what the consequences are for not following them. Have them sign it so that you know they saw it. They may not like it but if their child is disciplined they will understand why. Goodluck!

No problem with it. My 4 year CP was one of the ones on the team who was usually distracted. It's not fair to the rest of the team for the coach to spend the whole practice trying to get a few kids to focus. This isn't rec sports, people invest a lot of time and money. At that age the parent usually watch practice, so the parents should see what is going on and enforce listening to the coach at home. I am an assistant coach for kids 6-8 in another sport, and it kills me that certain kids never listen and the parents just sit there and say nothing.

No problem with it. My 4 year CP was one of the ones on the team who was usually distracted. It's not fair to the rest of the team for the coach to spend the whole practice trying to get a few kids to focus. This isn't rec sports, people invest a lot of time and money. At that age the parent usually watch practice, so the parents should see what is going on and enforce listening to the coach at home. I am an assistant coach for kids 6-8 in another sport, and it kills me that certain kids never listen and the parents just sit there and say nothing.
This is part of the problem. We are in a half wall-ed off area (about stomach height) that contains our tumble track. The parents can easily see over the wall. However, most of them sit down with their backs against the wall and do not see practice. In addition, many kids carpool so sometimes Mom isn't always there. I think we have decided to have a parent meeting regarding the upcoming season and will use this time to go over behaviors

My child is absolutely expected to behave and I would expect her to be appropriately disciplined if she were not. (And actually, I used to see her get in trouble. She has not lately though, AFAIK. Not sure why as her "wild child" status has not changed lol) I CANNOT STAND bad behavior or mouthiness and since I don't put up with it at my home, I don't expect cheer coach to do so. My child knows when she is misbehaving!! There are of course lines you should not cross and as a (non cheer) coach I will leave some discipline up to the parents but yes, call them out!!

Also- Brats: some people do not expect their children to behave and be respectful and do not care one iota if they bother you. Watch how they behave with their parents. If they are rude to them, look out!! I have had a few through the years that were good for me and not for mama but generally speaking, if its not enforced at home, forget it. Haven't you met adults that are self serving brats? Where do you think they come from? ;)

Latest posts

Back