All-Star Would You Be Upset If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No problem with it. My 4 year CP was one of the ones on the team who was usually distracted. It's not fair to the rest of the team for the coach to spend the whole practice trying to get a few kids to focus. This isn't rec sports, people invest a lot of time and money. At that age the parent usually watch practice, so the parents should see what is going on and enforce listening to the coach at home. I am an assistant coach for kids 6-8 in another sport, and it kills me that certain kids never listen and the parents just sit there and say nothing.

This!!! When CP was four and in the gym, she was expected to listen to and obey the coach. Luckily she listened and behaved and never had to be disciplined. If she had I would have been totally fine with her having to sit out.

OK I swear I will give no more advice after this saga:

Make expectations and consequences clear. Consequences will need to make sense. Saying: "If you don't stop________ I will never let you back in this gym". That is a consequence that makes no sense and the child knows it because they probably have a parent who tells them stuff like "Pick up your toys or I will throw them all in the garbage." The parent never really does it and the child eventually learns that parents (Oh and maybe coaches) do not necessarily mean what they say. Lucky you! You get to break that habit.

Be careful with the threat of "You will need to sit with your mommy if you do_____", for some children that will be a treat. I like to say "This is your first warning....if you do________ again, you will need to sit in that chair" (pretty soon everyone will understand that chair is not a place you want to be). I like to use a chair because it defines their space and avoids kids rolling around or sitting on their head or playing or any other crazy thing kids do. I don't say this as a punishment...I tell them it's a place for them to get themselves together and watch how the other children are behaving. When I am ready, I invite the child back and ask them if they are ready to listen and follow directions. None of this is done in a mean way but it becomes clear that sitting in a chair is a lot less fun than participating.

I have had really unreasonable children that continue to disrupt even from the chair...I just move them to the hallway or put the chair in the office (with staff naturally)

I get you completely. I firmly believe a couple of my children have undiagnosed ADHD and use special tactics to help them stay focused. In addition we have a child with cerebral palsy on the team who requires special attention (we sign to her.) All of this I can handle...
What I am at the end of my rope at is with whiny, spoiled, bratty kids who are constantly disobeying, throwing fits, and causing problems. I'm a pretty forgiving person and usually give a child a few practices to adjust before they become one of my "problems." But after ten practices I feel the constant temper tantrums over nothing (But I wanted to stand next to Lucy, I want to jump on the trampoline NOW) are not simple "adjusting." These are the kids who I can tell have very absent parents because they are not used to having any rules. But I feel the adjustment period is over and it's time for the consequences to kick in.

PS. I have one little girl who when I say "I want you to look at and tell me what I just said" will purposely cover her eyes.

The little girl that is purposely covering her eyes may have Oppositional Defiance Disorder Mental Health: Oppositional Defiant Disorder I have a child I am working with currently who has this disorder. It is very real, very disruptive, and extremely hard to discipline. I would speak with the parent directly and ask them what form of discipline works for their child. If the parent tells you that is their "normal" behavior or they haven't found a discipline that works well yet, you will know immediately this child is not ready for your program.

Also, you probably have quite a few that have been in daycare/pre-school all day (sometimes 6 AM-6 PM), changed in the car for practice, while choking down their Happy Meal. While some kids can work with this schedule and have self-discipline and respect for others, the majority will find it exhausting, over-whelming and misbehave. Be firm with the parents and let them know this is a sport that requires their child to be well-rested, well fed (no sugar) and hydrated with something other than juice or soda. Then, by all means, tell them what form of discipline you will be using and that you expect their full support so the kids can have a successful season.

I think instead of the parents being on the other side of the wall, they need to be right there in the practice. Any of the children's parents. I find if any parent is there the kids appear to behave.

Also - maybe they need a little more play in the beginning. Running, jumping jacks, motions etc. Then once they have all that play out of them - time to get to work.

Latest posts

Back