All-Star Wrist Taping For Tumbling And Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 27, 2014
I know there are multiple threads about this already but I'm still kind of confused. I've been doing gymnastics/cheer for 3 years and just recently I've been having a lot of pain in my wrists especially while stunting (I'm a side base on a level 3 team) and doing BHS and BWO. I've tried taping my wrists before but its still kind of painful. I've just been wrapping the tape around my wrist 1 1/2 to 2 times but I was wondering if there is any better way of doing it? Include pictures/videos if you can :)

Kttape.com has some good examples and their athletic tape is really worth it IMO- I'm 37 w/numerous different flare ups from over use injuries- BUT the best thing for you is to try NOT to overuse and/or injure yourself to the point of requiring it. Your wrists are trying to tell you something and if you don't listen you will prob even regret it in the future- trust me :/
Meanwhile, try to do certain/specific exercises that will help the stabilizing muscles in the surrounding areas for better support.

You can consult a physical therapist who can look at any injuries you may be carrying too and show you how to tape to give you the particular support you need, you don't have to go to them on an ongoing basis! You may need to rest them for a while if it's bad, too, and the PT can advise you on that. I had pain in my wrist from overdoing things and had to sit out of a lot of tumbling and stunting (I'm on level 2 and couldn't base extensions due to how the weight went through my wrist) for a while, now that I'm back I tape and use a wrap for support as a preventative measure.

Check out cheerstraps.com

They are reusable, made if fabric that is similar to bandanas, and come in a lot of colors. Support like tiger paws but does not hurt stunting.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Check out cheerstraps.com

They are reusable, made if fabric that is similar to bandanas, and come in a lot of colors. Support like tiger paws but does not hurt stunting.

What I love about tiger paws is that they go up onto the back of your hand and not just on the wrist...the first set of wrist braces I used were similar to this (just straps around the wrist) but they gave me no where near the support tiger paws did, and actually kind of pinched my wrists/skin at the base of my hand. Tiger paws though, aren't ideal for cheer though because they restrict wrists too much for stunting and are too bulky actually in/around the palm of my hand, IMO. I know it only shows them wrapped around the wrist in pictures/videos, but do you know if you can choose to wrap them up higher and around the thumb the way tiger paws do? I'd be super willing to try them if you can manipulate how they sit on your wrists.

Latest posts

Back