All-Star Young Kids On Higher Levels And Older Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Fameous MOM

Cheer Parent
Feb 9, 2011
Does your gym let children with advanced skills move to older teams? For instance my cp just turned 9 and is on a mini 2, Youth 3, and a junior 4 team. What are the pros and cons? My cp has learned alot on her Junior 4 team as far as flying goes and also has learned to stay focused more.

My cp really wants to make our J5 team(they are an amazing squad) this coming season. She is working hard on her level 5 skills- she lands her double sometimes, has a punchfront through to a full, jumps to tuck(90%of the time) and she is working her 3 to a full. As far as flying she loves it and I have no doubt she could fly level 5. The only problem is that I don't think she willmake it this season. She is very young and we have so much talent in the gym that I think she will not get there this year. I have talked to her many times about this but everytime she gets a new skill the first thing she says is maybe I will make it now. I don't want to crush her dreams but I also don't want to set her up for dissappointment. I have told her that if she does not make a level 5 team that I will pay to have her do an individual so she can use her skills. Any help would be great!!!

she's 9 and almost has a double...I think she could make a J5 team

I agree.

Also as far as individual. CP did one back when she was in a similar situation and enjoyed it. It was a good experience (going out there by herself) but not nearly as fun (for her) as the team aspect.

I don't want to crush her dreams but I also don't want to set her up for dissappointment.

Question - if she has the level 5 skills, why would she not make the team? Are there other athletes her age that have made, or are on, that team? Also, how many (flyers) are aging off, moving to a different position or team?
To learn a skill JUST to be placed on Level XYZ team is a bit short-sighted. There are many reasons for a child to be placed on one team or another. If she makes her goal team, great, but if not - God may close a door but always opens a window :)

My CP was 9 and on J5 at Twist & Shout and did great. It is rare for them to place kids that young on our J5 team but it has been done. I think if she has the skills and has the maturity level to handle it, she has a great shot. They put her on J4 so why not J5??

My daughter came from a gymnastic background to be placed on J5 team ,when she was only 8. While my husband and I had our concerns, my cp blossomed and it made her a great cheerleader. She learned how to focus and learned that just because she was a "baby" on the team, doesn't mean she gets to goof around and that her coaches and teammates require just as much, if not more out of her, as they did the other J5 flyers. And even though she retired from cheer a few years later, many of the things she learned have stay with her today and she is doing great in her freshman year of college, even though she is a good 2 years younger than her classmates. Your cp has a full, jumps to back and is learning a double, she may be young, but I see no problem with her making your gyms J5 team. In fact, it may make her a better cheerleader. :) The only thing I suggest is, to try to get her on a team with kids around her age, even if she won't get to use all of her skills. But it seems like your gym did a great job of that this season, so it shouldn't be a issue next season.

Question - if she has the level 5 skills, why would she not make the team? Are there other athletes her age that have made, or are on, that team? Also, how many (flyers) are aging off, moving to a different position or team?
To learn a skill JUST to be placed on Level XYZ team is a bit short-sighted. There are many reasons for a child to be placed on one team or another. If she makes her goal team, great, but if not - God may close a door but always opens a window :)

I don't think any flyers age off and that is why I am thinking she may not make it. She is determined no matter what I say lol. She is getting new skills left and right and I want her to be able to use them but I am not sure the j5 team will have an opening.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I will keep my fingers crossed and know that our coaches will make the right decision based on her ability and maturity! I hope she will be strong no matter what!

Sounds like you are in the right frame of mind. I'm sure she'll progress and have the time of her life regardless of what team she ends up on. :) Good luck!!

I don't think any flyers age off and that is why I am thinking she may not make it. She is determined no matter what I say lol. She is getting new skills left and right and I want her to be able to use them but I am not sure the j5 team will have an opening.

The flyers my not age off, but maybe if there is a Senior 5 and they're graduating a flyer they may have to bump one up from Juniors, leaving a spot for your daughter. :)

I know ya'll J5 is really competitive but I don't see why they would turn down a little flier like that, especially one that has such a gift for tumbling. The smaller she is the higher she goes. The only con I see is that young kids spending too much time around older girls sometimes leads to them growing up to fast. For example, I know ten and eleven year olds who are very talented fliers and therefore have been with older kids since they were a young age. As a result, these girls wear make-up every day, straighten their hair, and overall act much older than they are. This can be good and bed. In one way, they are very mature and behave well, on the other hand, I feel like they got robbed of their childhood a little. Also, another problem i notice is that the older girls (bases) tend not to censor themselves around the younger ones. I've had to tell girls to please stop talking about what you did with your boyfriend last weekend, there are young ears around. Best of luck to her!

Back