All-Star 2016-2017 Summit And D2 Summit Bid Event Listing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not a fan of the bids not being passed down.. Its already hard to get a Summit bid.. now lets make it harder???

Yeah this was the one I had the biggest issue with. But I suppose they want people to really commit to using the bid if they plan to accept one. Which is reasonable.

Yeah this was the one I had the biggest issue with. But I suppose they want people to really commit to using the bid if they plan to accept one. Which is reasonable.
I'm sure it was a nightmare to keep track of what was accepted. Perhaps they will offer more bids instead? I don't see Varsity making the events smaller.

I'm sure it was a nightmare to keep track of what was accepted. Perhaps they will offer more bids instead? I don't see Varsity making the events smaller.

I'm definitely not opposed to more bids as long as the quality of the event stays high, and I'm not sure how possible it is to do both. But I'm sure more bids will be offered, because $$$$$$$$.

Can someone explain to me why they don't like the smaller locations of big gyms going? Yes, they share a name, but lots of the time the staff members from their main location don't work there or even really have anything to do with the little gyms. Not that they're not involved of course, but I don't really think it's just like Rockstar Raleigh is Rockstar Greenville but a little bit smaller. A lot of the satellite gyms are incredibly tiny.

Can someone explain to me why they don't like the smaller locations of big gyms going? Yes, they share a name, but lots of the time the staff members from their main location don't work there or even really have anything to do with the little gyms. Not that they're not involved of course, but I don't really think it's just like Rockstar Raleigh is Rockstar Greenville but a little bit smaller. A lot of the satellite gyms are incredibly tiny.
I think you hit the nail on the head - they share a name. Consumers would expect the Rockstar experience and caliber of instruction from Rockstar Raleigh as well as Rockstar Greenville. Seems the new rules establish a D2 Summit for independent small gyms. If two gyms do not share a tax ID, or owner or family plan or a franchising agreement and the only commonality is the name, then it is simple enough to change the name

Because satellite gyms have the money, resources, and coaches of their parent company at their disposal, and LOTS of them use those resources. You don't have to hire and pay expenses for a big name choreographer or guest coach if they work for the same company. They are just a phone call away. Plus, those names carry weight and influence in the industry. Whether we want to admit it or not, hearing the name of a big, successful program in front of a team effects how they are perceived.

Yes...I was a little surprised, after our team came in second to a Rockstar team, that the main Rockstar location claimed (at least on social media) their first place d2 Summit win. If they're declaring the victory as theirs???? It seems like they're the same, regardless of their tax standings.

I think this is simple to solve, if they are eligible for NSPA membership by NSPA rules then they should be eligible for the D2 Summit. If they are not eligible then they shouldn't have D2 Summit eligibility either.

It seems like the wc winners were treated better than the paid bid winners. Paid bids were randomly lumped in with the at large winners in semis and the wc winners got to perform last in both semis and finals.

I agree with this. I was not thrilled that the WC winner got to advance directly to finals over the paid bid winners, especially when there were some WC "winners" that didn't even compete against anyone in the WC round. But, I REALLY disliked the fact that the WC winner got to perform last in finals (regardless of score), which is a big advantage using comparative scoring. If they're going to allow the WC winners to advance directly to finals, they should have to perform at the beginning of the order. Why have finals performance order be based on reverse ranking from semis, but then allow WC teams to perform last, even when they scored lower than teams in semis. Needless to say, it's even more irritating that they're now allowing TWO teams from WC to go straight to finals. Not happy about that at all.

I agree with this. I was not thrilled that the WC winner got to advance directly to finals over the paid bid winners, especially when there were some WC "winners" that didn't even compete against anyone in the WC round. But, I REALLY disliked the fact that the WC winner got to perform last in finals (regardless of score), which is a big advantage using comparative scoring. If they're going to allow the WC winners to advance directly to finals, they should have to perform at the beginning of the order. Why have finals performance order be based on reverse ranking from semis, but then allow WC teams to perform last, even when they scored lower than teams in semis. Needless to say, it's even more irritating that they're now allowing TWO teams from WC to go straight to finals. Not happy about that at all.

Agree wholeheartedly. When I saw the WC in our division not only skipped to Sunday but then got to go last? Just another negative to the Summit for me.

I enjoyed our time at the Summit but if we don't go again, I'm totally good with it.

Does anyone know the criteria used by Varsity to determine how many, and what type of summit bids each competition is able to award?

ETA: I am also trying to figure out what makes the WC bids profitable enough that they are so interested in enticing programs to accept them. As opposed to just adding more at large bids and doing prelims?

I'm assuming they are easier for EPs to qualify for, that they keep the semi-finals and finals more manageable in terms of numbers. And I suppose there's the added benefit of lots of people with a free day to spend more $ at Disney. And that this keeps people from passing in WC's in the hopes of getting an at large? But it feels like there has to be more to why this is the system they choose?

Last edited:
Tbh, I think the wc round should be treated as Prelims and move the 1st-2nd place winners a place in the Semi-finals with the other paid Summit teams... It appears, the wc winners got an unfair advantage over the paid Summit winners... I really thought that this was how wc recipients were going to compete in the 1st place.

Tbh, I think the wc round should be treated as Prelims and move the 1st-2nd place winners a place in the Semi-finals with the other paid Summit teams... It appears, the wc winners got an unfair advantage over the paid Summit winners... I really thought that this was how wc recipients were going to compete in the 1st place.
that is a good point. Honestly, if anything i would think a paid bid winner should have the advantage of getting to finals.

Does anyone know the criteria used by Varsity to determine how many, and what type of summit bids each competition is able to award?

ETA: I am also trying to figure out what makes the WC bids profitable enough that they are so interested in enticing programs to accept them. As opposed to just adding more at large bids and doing prelims?

I'm assuming they are easier for EPs to qualify for, that they keep the semi-finals and finals more manageable in terms of numbers. And I suppose there's the added benefit of lots of people with a free day to spend more $ at Disney. And that this keeps people from passing in WC's in the hopes of getting an at large? But it feels like there has to be more to why this is the system they choose?

Bids are normally based off the number of teams who attended the event the year prior. You'll notice the larger national competitions offer more bids, buts it's around the same percentage odds of receiving one.

In terms of WC - as a program who accepts WC bids, we started last season taking them when offered. Then this year we opened it up to more teams with the added benefit of potential finals. We went on three types of bid this season and honestly saw no difference between them.

The WC bid definitely increased the number of youth teams at summit.

I just posted the same thing in another thread and then read this. Agree 100% and do not understand why WC winners get to move to finals over teams who earned a spot at Day 1 with a "higher" bid.

Back