All-Star 2016-2017 Summit And D2 Summit Bid Event Listing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think by moving the WC winners to Sunday it might make people think twice about turning down a WC bid. It will give them more of a incentive to chance it with a wild card than turn it down and wait for a paid/at large bid. In the end, it's all about money, the more teams that go, regardless of the type of bid, the more money they can make.
My thoughts exactly! The wild card bid is a huge gamble...it can't just be huge potential for loss with potential for mediocre "win"...they had to make that small chance be for a "big payout". Ultimately they want these teams to take the gamble (oh silly me... I mean the climb) because the house always win$ (at least in terms of $$$) wildcard bids = huge $ for the powers that be.

Paid bids are receiving financial benefits. WC bids are paying to attend yet still need to compete as much as an At Large or Paid Bid. With the exception of that 3rd WC placement they have an added compete time with added pressure. As far as I can tell WC bids are more accessible for budget minded teams. In our state there appears to only be 1 comp with paid & at large bids yet many with WC bids. If your gym or team doesn't travel out of state it makes it difficult to obtain a paid or At Large bid. There are great teams receiving WC bids. It seems that most people look down on WC bid recipients as lesser teams that have to prove their worth. They are by winning the WC round. If a team is blessed to be in a group of 3 or less in the WC why should they be punished? Is it because an At Large or Paid bid won't make it to finals because the WC took the spot? Going into Finals in 10th or 15th is not a desirable spot when you could just spend the day playing in Florida, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can someone explain to me why they don't like the smaller locations of big gyms going? Yes, they share a name, but lots of the time the staff members from their main location don't work there or even really have anything to do with the little gyms. Not that they're not involved of course, but I don't really think it's just like Rockstar Raleigh is Rockstar Greenville but a little bit smaller. A lot of the satellite gyms are incredibly tiny.
They should cut ties then. Change their name to Raleigh All-star and not have any contact with Rockstar. Even then it'd be hard because Rockstar could easily charge them "Full Price" *wink* *wink* for choreography, coaching etc. You shouldn't be able to be a D2 if your parent organization has more than 2 locations IMHO. Even if it's the name alone it will draw more customers, which gives an advantage.

Paid bids are receiving financial benefits. WC bids are paying to attend yet still need to compete as much as an At Large or Paid Bid. With the exception of that 3rd WC placement they have an added compete time with added pressure. As far as I can tell WC bids are more accessible for budget minded teams. In our state there appears to only be 1 comp with paid & at large bids yet many with WC bids. If your gym or team doesn't travel out of state it makes it difficult to obtain a paid or At Large bid. There are great teams receiving WC bids. It seems that most people look down on WC bid recipients as lesser teams that have to prove their worth. They are by winning the WC round. If a team is blessed to be in a group of 3 or less in the WC why should they be punished? Is it because an At Large or Paid bid won't make it to finals because the WC took the spot? Going into Finals in 10th or 15th is not a desirable spot when you could just spend the day playing in Florida, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I could not agree more! Our gym is a small gym that only does 2 over night comps during the regular season. 1 gives summit bids the other gives us finals bids. The likelihood of us getting a paid or at large bid with 1 chance is slim. We accept wildcard bids because of that. I like that we aren't traveling all over the east coast bid chasing.

Can someone explain to me why they don't like the smaller locations of big gyms going? Yes, they share a name, but lots of the time the staff members from their main location don't work there or even really have anything to do with the little gyms. Not that they're not involved of course, but I don't really think it's just like Rockstar Raleigh is Rockstar Greenville but a little bit smaller. A lot of the satellite gyms are incredibly tiny.

From what little knowledge I have, I know that there are at least three Stringray locations in GA. I guess their big one is the one that has Orange and there are two smaller ones. As they have the same name, wear the same uniform, I would expect the same rep from that team as their main location. So when I saw that their smaller locations got a D2 bid, it didn't make sense - it didn't seem fair that our little gym had to compete against them for bids.

I didn't think it was fair that our S2 team got paid bid for D2 and didn't go straight to day 2. I wouldve thought a paid bid held a little more value/clout than the $125 entrance fee.

As much as I understand the desire for paid bid winners to move straight to Sunday, I don't agree that they should. IMO, this is a great opportunity for highest-level competition. My daughter's favorite experience, both her Summits, was the actual performing with her team, on the Summit floor. I really like to see the teams from all over the country lined up against each other and to see how it all shakes out. I'm familiar with my local gyms, and it's awesome to see how my daughter's gym scores on the national level.

If you take paid bid winners and only had them compete once, it's not as much fun. Yes, an extra day gives an extra chance to screw up/not hit, but to me it's about the competition. I think we're losing sight that competing their routines, that they've cried and sweated over for an entire season, is why the kids are cheering. It's not just about winning or grabbing whatever advantage like can be for the adults.

I didn't think it was fair that our S2 team got paid bid for D2 and didn't go straight to day 2. I wouldve thought a paid bid held a little more value/clout than the $125 entrance fee.
A major reason why Summit was created is because of a public outcry that there needed to be a Worlds-like event for non-Worlds teams. At Worlds if you have a paid bid you don't go straight to finals, so I don't see why you would go straight to finals at Summit.

As much as I understand the desire for paid bid winners to move straight to Sunday, I don't agree that they should. IMO, this is a great opportunity for highest-level competition. My daughter's favorite experience, both her Summits, was the actual performing with her team, on the Summit floor. I really like to see the teams from all over the country lined up against each other and to see how it all shakes out. I'm familiar with my local gyms, and it's awesome to see how my daughter's gym scores on the national level.

If you take paid bid winners and only had them compete once, it's not as much fun. Yes, an extra day gives an extra chance to screw up/not hit, but to me it's about the competition. I think we're losing sight that competing their routines, that they've cried and sweated over for an entire season, is why the kids are cheering. It's not just about winning or grabbing whatever advantage like can be for the adults.

^This. My kids want the rings but you're right, they would feel slighted if they only got to get on stage once. The WC winner won the Sr. level 2 division and they competed back to back with a paid bid winner who performed second to the last and they came in the same placement at NCA. With a 3 day event, competing twice, a 2 1/2 minute routine and 10 teams or less in each division at finals, I'm not sure how huge the advantage can really get for a team at that point.

It's the same for D1 summit. A paid bid doesn't get you the extra perk of going straight to day 2 like worlds.

It's also worth mentioning that at Worlds there is no team that gets a straight ride to Finals. If the divisions are deep enough, a paid bid team gets to pass prelims and go straight to semi-finals, but in divisions like large all girl and coed there is no prelims, only semi-finals, and all teams have to compete at Semi-Finals. So the Summit seems to be set up the same way, there technically isn't a prelims, so all teams compete at semi-finals.

It's also worth mentioning that at Worlds there is no team that gets a straight ride to Finals. If the divisions are deep enough, a paid bid team gets to pass prelims and go straight to semi-finals, but in divisions like large all girl and coed there is no prelims, only semi-finals, and all teams have to compete at Semi-Finals. So the Summit seems to be set up the same way, there technically isn't a prelims, so all teams compete at semi-finals.

@JAD did you mean to rate this as bullying?

^This. My kids want the rings but you're right, they would feel slighted if they only got to get on stage once. The WC winner won the Sr. level 2 division and they competed back to back with a paid bid winner who performed second to the last and they came in the same placement at NCA. With a 3 day event, competing twice, a 2 1/2 minute routine and 10 teams or less in each division at finals, I'm not sure how huge the advantage can really get for a team at that point.

Teams with less than 5 all get to compete on Sunday. So in essence, a team can compete 3 times. It doesn't matter what happens on Day 1 or Day 2 because they go to Day 3 anyway. There is an advantage for this team as the first 2 times is a warm up on Summit Stage for the Big Event.
Which is why I think if Varsity insists on not combining smaller divisions to make for more competition at the very least scores for divisions with less than 5 teams should carry from day to day. Those teams should have to work for their win a little more.

Back