5 Months Of Privates Lessons & Still No Bhs...???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are many factors that go into the right enviroment for your CP. I hope other will read this thread and realize it is different for everyone.

You have to consider:
safe training environment (proper facility, equipment, trained coaches)
proper training approach (any training program should include strength training, conditioning, and proper skill progression, as well as proper instruction on technique)
relationship with the coach
relationship with other kids
cost
drive commitment (some get tired from the drive others love it)

If you aren't knowledgeable on all these things when putting your child in a training environment, then ask or send me a message and I'll point you where to find the information.

Privates are good in any sport if you an afford them and the timing is important as well. A well placed private ahead of practice/camp - allows them to reinforce what they are learning. In my experience the biggest thing to watch is conflicting coaching styles - the private coach says one thing; the team coach wants something else. This can cause confusion and limit progress.

Before cheer - my daughter was a gymnast and the most progress she made in her skills was when she went to open gym and could just work on what skills she wanted - as often as she wanted. Sometimes working on their own without prying eyes will take the pressure off.

Great point. If your child looks back at you after everything he/she is trying. . .there is a good chance they are becoming dependent on your approval to succeed.

Another thing- if privates are working for you at the cheer gym, I highly encourage you to go to a gymnastics center. I did privates for a while at one with my old gym because we were in a gymnastics center and it was convenient. They can usually offer much more technique guidance!

As my good friend, Julia, says, "Tumbling is 30% physical, 70% mental." I had the same problem as Kris10boo 's CP this summer. CP should to do the following:
1. Every day, take about 10 minutes to visualize yourself doing a back handspring. Think about how you snap down, what your arms should be like, how your legs should be. It helps.
2. It seems like she's lacking confidence. She needs to stop doubting herself. I used to suffer from self-doubt. I took a break for a few weeks, and when I came back, I had a lot of confidence and I was hitting everything. So take a break for a week or two, and she might bounce back. Disclaimer: Take this advice with a grain of salt. Although I got up from the break, the break has a slight chance of screwing up some of her skills.
3. If your gym has a dead floor, practice on the dead floor. If you can do it on the dead floor, it's much easier on springs.

Mental blocks take time. Being yelled at/threatened never helps. It took me almost 2 years to get my bhs, I had it but I was always too scared. Then after that I blocked for another 6 months or so. I finally have my tumbling solid. It took lots of time, positve encouragement, and privates! Everyone is different when it comes to mental blocks. Hope I helped :)

While we are on this topic, I too have been paying for privates to help advance my daughters tumbling skills. What I pay for two privates I could also be paying for a months worth of tumbling at a gymnastics center. Which one would you guys recommend?

My CP had an unbelieveable mental block but I think it finally was overcome at this weeks private :) !
cheermum24 - I had considered that at one point but the gymnastics center around us absolutely dislikes anything related to AllStar cheer, my CP and I talked about it and both decided that it was better to stay with our AllStar gym staff.

While we are on this topic, I too have been paying for privates to help advance my daughters tumbling skills. What I pay for two privates I could also be paying for a months worth of tumbling at a gymnastics center. Which one would you guys recommend?
Stick with a cheer gym for cheer tumbling. Maybe she could do one private and one class a week instead of two privates? That is what my cp usually does. And if there is open tumble, take advantage of that as well.

Back