All American Tryouts At Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 28, 2013
Wondering what the judges look for when someone tries out for All American? Why do some people make it one year and not the next? Is is really fair?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I was one of three cheerleaders to make all American in the entire camp. You have to do 3 connected jumps, rally on (mine was a tumbling pass) and then preform the camp cheer. You only have to get 23/30 to make all American and there were at least 45 that tried out at my camp

It's fair. You're judged on three jumps, a tumbling/spiriting entrance, and the camp cheer. Along with like overall impression stuff. If someone makes it one year and not the next, they probably messed something up, or their flexibility got worse, or they just didn't do as well as the first time. You have to be really happy and spirity, smile, and have really good motions. The tumbling isn't that important (I know someone with a full who didn't make it and I threw only backhandsprings and made it twice) it's a score but its more of an overall impression of your entrance than anything... Like if you do a full and then go to your spot all grumpy you won't score as high as someone who does 3 backhandsprings and then spirits to their spot smiling and really peppy and loud. It makes a big difference. Your jumps have to be fairly good but you do three so if one is just average it's fine... My toe touch is average but my right front hurdler and my right side hurdler are really good so it makes up for it. Our instructor told us if you mess up the cheer and start over you lose like 1 point but if you mess up and keep going you lose only half a point. So if you start over that can really affect it since you have to be nearly perfect in every category to score high enough to get it.

I'm on NCA staff and there is a break down of the scoresheet in your spirit book! But it goes as follows:
Jumps:
1-for effort
2-below level, good technique
3-level, good technique
4-slightly hyperextended, good technique
5-rarely given out, it's basically next to your ears with good technique.
Bad technique will make you move down half a point, so really focus on that.
Entrance:
1-effort
2-highly spirited entrance OR backhandsprings
3-round off backhandspring tuck
4-round off backhandspring layout
5-round off backhandspring full
You can go up half a point for doing a specialty pass, or down half a point for bad technique. I always dock a point for busted skills.
For the camp cheer you are judged on motions, memory, and projection.
Motions:
1-effort
2-not tight, not correct placement
3-places motions, most motions have correct placement
4-correct placement, fairly sharp
5-"staff sharp" this is rarely given out
Memory:
Everyone starts out at a 5, for each missed motion or long pause, it is half a point deducted. If you start over, you start at a 4 and your previous mistakes go away. Most camps will only let you start over once.
Projection/Expression:
1-effort
2-very quiet, not confident
3-says the words, little to no expression
4-pretty loud, decent amount of expression
5-lots of expression and extremely loud, but not yelling.
Overall impression is roughly the average of all your other scores.

The minimum score to make it is a 23/30 which is hard to achieve but it is fair because it shows you are well rounded.

Have fun at camp and I hope you love it :)

Back