All-Star All star exclusive gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
There’s a new cheer gym opening in my area which seems to be getting a lot of attention. One of the things they are stressing in their advertising is that they are Elite All Star exclusive-they do not host/coach school teams as well, they don’t rent the gym for birthday parties or events or rent floor space to groups, their tumbling classes and skills classes and open gyms are just for all star athletes at their gym, and will not offer tiny, mini, fundamentals, novice, or prep.

I’m trying to imagine how that works financially, and failing miserably. I hope it works for them, but that seems like cutting off a lot of income streams.

There’s a new cheer gym opening in my area which seems to be getting a lot of attention. One of the things they are stressing in their advertising is that they are Elite All Star exclusive-they do not host/coach school teams as well, they don’t rent the gym for birthday parties or events or rent floor space to groups, their tumbling classes and skills classes and open gyms are just for all star athletes at their gym, and will not offer tiny, mini, fundamentals, novice, or prep.

I’m trying to imagine how that works financially, and failing miserably. I hope it works for them, but that seems like cutting off a lot of income streams.
Daughters gym is mainly cheer…..AS teams and HS teams come there……no bday parties …they do host clinics though and open tumbling for anyone. We r a smaller gym.

Whoever it is, you’re right: that equation doesn’t work. Especially for a brand new gym.

My Sister the Business Major (her working title since she’s the only one in the family with a BS instead of a BA) once illustrated it like this: Chanel vs. Walmart. Yes Chanel is very fancy and they bring in something like 10.5 billion a year. Impressive.

Walmart is not as fancy. And yet they bring in 559 billion a year.

Why? Because people can go their whole lives without buying a Chanel purse.

But literally everyone will stop by Walmart for a toothbrush at some point in their lives. Those toothbrushes add up.

To wit: not everyone will become some super elite cheerleader.

But allllll those super elite cheerleaders started out on a beginner level team. Or at least the bulk of them.

So yeah their choice to only cater to a very select few is just bad business. When rent comes due, they won’t care if that money came from THE Santwon or Tiny Prep Teena.

I actually remember a post from @BlueCat that basically said:

Your biggest moneymaker as a gym = Tiny, Mini, Mommy & Me, prep, themed summer camps, stuff for beginners.

Prioritizing elite athletes doesn’t make money.

Which is what you need to keep the door open.

Also I would not be surprised if their season costs are astronomical.

I really wonder if they're planning their business model around parent complaints. They're promising 7-8 comps per season, that the teams will take any bids recieved, that all star is the only business, and all of those are things that I've heard complaints about-but I have to wonder how much of an arm and a leg it costs!!

Question because this is not a complaint I’ve heard before:

Do parents really feel like school teams, prep, half year and other non-elite activities (like school camps or other summer camps and classes) really take that much gym time/attention/etc. away from child?

Question because this is not a complaint I’ve heard before:

Do parents really feel like school teams, prep, half year and other non-elite activities (like school camps or other summer camps and classes) really take that much gym time/attention/etc. away from child?
No, but we have a pretty large gym. I could maybe see it in a gym wth only 1-2 full floors and if it was conflicting with team practices. I don't personally separate prep from elite and it would be weird not to have classes?? How do you draw in new athletes? The part that makes the most sense is no school teams.

Designer is doing school teams and they have a class advertised for “future cheerleaders” with a min age of 3. It looks like this program is also trying to market as ~exclusively~ elite cheer only.

This is the one I’m seeing.
I really wonder if a big thing is that both of the big gyms in Memphis (Memphis Pride and Memphis Cheer) have not done Summit the last two seasons, even for teams with paid bids, in favor of ASW, where they can take all their teams, in part because there are a lot of the Deep South competitions fairly close.
And on school teams, Memphis Cheer has University of Memphis Cheer and Pom and Collierville Cheer and Pom (including middle school feeders and elementary competitive rec). Pride has Houston high school and Arlington High school, plus middle school feeders. So school cheer is a BIG part of the program, and to some degree, the lower level teams tend to end up being feeders for the school teams. (I know about half the roster at Collierville and Arlington high school this fall, because they moved to middle school cheer about the time my CP stopped cheering). So there are some grumbles on that regard for kids (and parents ) who don’t have a competitive school team to go to and who get frustrated that often there are more competitive junior teams than senior ones due to the senior ones being kids who couldn’t get onto a school tram, or attend schools that don’t compete.

I wish them well. I just don’t see how it’s a viable business model.

This is the one I’m seeing.
I really wonder if a big thing is that both of the big gyms in Memphis (Memphis Pride and Memphis Cheer) have not done Summit the last two seasons, even for teams with paid bids, in favor of ASW, where they can take all their teams, in part because there are a lot of the Deep South competitions fairly close.
And on school teams, Memphis Cheer has University of Memphis Cheer and Pom and Collierville Cheer and Pom (including middle school feeders and elementary competitive rec). Pride has Houston high school and Arlington High school, plus middle school feeders. So school cheer is a BIG part of the program, and to some degree, the lower level teams tend to end up being feeders for the school teams. (I know about half the roster at Collierville and Arlington high school this fall, because they moved to middle school cheer about the time my CP stopped cheering). So there are some grumbles on that regard for kids (and parents ) who don’t have a competitive school team to go to and who get frustrated that often there are more competitive junior teams than senior ones due to the senior ones being kids who couldn’t get onto a school tram, or attend schools that don’t compete.

I wish them well. I just don’t see how it’s a viable business model.

Hi,
As you can see by my name, my daughter is an athlete at Pinnacle. The original post is not totally accurate. Pinnacle is in its beginning phases, and wanted to have centralized focus on all-star.

Back