Ankles Rolling In Stunts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My flyer had huge ankle rolling issues, and it turns out as soon as she started squeezing her muscles and controlling her body properly, they stopped. She may literally just need to squeeze

Having your backspot hold her ankles and you explaining to your flyer that she needs to hold her wait equally instead of heeling, this might help, if not tell a coach she/he can help with the issue.

Are you a main or side base?
If you are a side base try gripping higher up on the foot with your top hand, closer to the ankle and squeezing in near the ankle joint.
If you are the main base, suggest that your side base do this. Also, as a main base, make sure that your wrists are as close to your side base's hand as possible and you are providing a stable standing surface for the flyer.
Also, I wouldn't really suggest taping a flyer's ankles for the sole purpose of keeping them from rolling in a stunt, it will only allow them to remain weak. Maybe talk to your coach about doing ankle strengthening exercises, such as toe raises, ect,...
AND REMEMBER: It never any one person's fault when it comes to a stunt hitting. You all have to learn how to work together to make it happen. Teamwork makes the dream work! ;)
YES to this post!!!
Braces, taping, etc. will only make the ankles weaker. My kid has been doing ankle exercises to strengthen her ankles because she sometimes has the same issues however we have bases who have never based at this level before so it's all a learning process for the GROUP! Good luck!!

Back