All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My cp is 12 on a senior co-ed 5 team and bases the heck out of girls that are bigger than her. Our best flier is a 17 year old who is the smallest on the team but she's not a great flier because she is small she is great because she is determined and technically sound.

Tessa Grimm on POWER med coed is AMAZING for a small flyer!

here is the issue im torn on, while having a tiny "fetus/baby" flyer is not aesthetically appealing and annoys the absolute heck out of me i came from a small gym where we had to use younger girls for flyers simply because they were the only ones that could pull the right body positions and were actual flyers, sure we had plenty of smaller girls problem was they (myself included) were all trained bases and unfit to fly, we couldnt stay tight and hold our own weight and had the problem of flexibility, now im not diffending all gyms that use small flyers especially if you have the means to fly a girl in your own age bracket im just saying some times stuff happens and its unavoidable

and what about a 12 year old base? why does no one have a problem with that 12 year old?

because it doesn't look disproportionate but rather impressive. when i see a little girl basing a bigger flyer, i'm impressed. when i see jacked girls throwing around the peanuts, well to me, that makes you look bad, makes you look lazy and unskilled. not to say that its a problem when there's smaller flyers on a team. like i said, i'm 20 and i look 12. but its all about presentation. you have a girl thats 17 and 90lb soaking wet? thats great, so she's little. but chances are she also has great body control and presents herself well. but teams that put the 12 yr olds up, alot, not all, but a lot, of them have not mastered body control yet, and you can tell they are being used for the simple fact of their size. and to me, it looks bad.

I'm pretty surprised no one touched this yet... Restricted 5 is not level 5??

So restricted 5 doesn't count I guess

I didn't read anywhere where someone said it didn't count. Restricted 5 is separated for a reason. I would agree with the statement that Restricted 5 is not Level 5 (as in not the same as regular level 5--it's restricted, therefore different)

I don't get why this thread had to be dug out from dead thread Hell so that people can argue the same points and beat the same dead horses.

If they're 12 and needed on a senior level team then oh well. A gym is going to put together a team made of the best individuals needed in order to win. If that's a 65lb 12 yr old ( which was me in 8 th grade) or a 5'8 7 th grade that can back and tumble like nobodies business then on well. Deal. If you don't like it...close your eyes.

Common sense and normal message board etiquette are that you read a thread before commenting on it. That would prevent most, if not all repeated arguments be "dug-up"

I prefer any thread be dug back up if there can be new, relevant discussion rather than a new one started with the exact same subject.

i have seen sooo many tiny kids, im always like "your on a senior team!!"

When I was 13 my dad taught me how to drive. I worked so hard at driving. I mean I worked harder than all the other 16 year old kids. I even looked 16. It made me so mad that the DMV would not give me a license. So, I got on the FierceDrivingBoard and complained about it and told everyone how its not fair. I mean I looked 16, was more mature than most 16 year olds and I worked really hard. I just really deserved it. Laws are stupid. They should've changed it just for me because I had the skills of a 16 year old.

When scores change bc of age and size, I'll listen to the whining, until then if you don't like it don't watch. 1 1/2 up scores the same regardless of age, size, color, uniform, bow and make-up (be it performed with the same technique) if you can hit it and are legal, do it.

i have seen sooo many tiny kids, im always like "your on a senior team!!"

We have some much smaller kids on our team this year who are both flying and basing. I get that it is impressive to see a larger flyer and I have lots of respect for kids who can base larger flyers and the flyer for still being to have body control to hold the skill.

Like many have said, team selections are normally based on who has the skills to be on a certain team. Not many gyms can select both skill AND the bigger looking kids in order to make you all happy. They have to take whoever has the best skill on the team and then do their best to showcase it in a routine if the flyer/base is small, short, tall, fat, tan, white, orange or stands out in any way.

Personally, I have respect for whomever is pulling a skill for the reason that the skill is difficult no matter who does it.

Back