All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have some much smaller kids on our team this year who are both flying and basing. I get that it is impressive to see a larger flyer and I have lots of respect for kids who can base larger flyers and the flyer for still being to have body control to hold the skill.

Like many have said, team selections are normally based on who has the skills to be on a certain team. Not many gyms can select both skill AND the bigger looking kids in order to make you all happy. They have to take whoever has the best skill on the team and then do their best to showcase it in a routine if the flyer/base is small, short, tall, fat, tan, white, orange or stands out in any way.

Personally, I have respect for whomever is pulling a skill for the reason that the skill is difficult no matter who does it.
i totally respect they them if they have the skills to be on the team, but if a coach puts a girl on a team just because they are small so bigger bases can hold them up and throw them around it doesnt seem right to me. I believe if a coach were to pull a younger athlete they should be able to have the tumbling as well as the stunting skills.

Common sense and normal message board etiquette are that you read a thread before commenting on it. That would prevent most, if not all repeated arguments be "dug-up"

I prefer any thread be dug back up if there can be new, relevant discussion rather than a new one started with the exact same subject.

Where is the new and relevant discussion

This is a topic that has been beat to death. Im aware that the simple option would be for me or anyone else that is "over this discussion" to not read it however I naively ( going along with your statement) clicked I in hopes of new insight and relevant discussion.

It's the same ole same ole.

I don't think anyone cares about the actual age of the athlete, rather just the size (if at all).

Well no because the person I quoted said that they don't like to see baby flyers, but a 17 year old can weigh 90lbs just as a 12 yr old can weigh 125lbs. So are they saying that the size of the flyer takes away their credibility.

Like I'm a 95lb 26 yr old academic librarian. Yesterday' my boss told me students weren't goong to take me seriously because of my size. I asked her if i should just apply for disability?

It's hard out here for little people......

Where is the new and relevant discussion

This is a topic that has been beat to death. Im aware that the simple option would be for me or anyone else that is "over this discussion" to not read it however I naively ( going along with your statement) clicked I in hopes of new insight and relevant discussion.

It's the same ole same ole.

Technically the 12 year old flyers mentioned when this thread was started are 13 now. :)

The way I feel about it hasn't changed. If your young enough to be on a youth team, you have no business on a senior team. And yes, there are some 12 year olds on youth teams, because of the way their birthday falls. I have stated over and over again my reasons for believing that kids need to be at least 14 before being put on a senior team. That gives you, your four years of high school to be on a senior team. Letting older bases, base the new 12 year old girl who came straight off of the youth team isn't really helping anyone. Which is why a lot (not all) of these bases can do tick tocks all day on their all star team, but ask them to put up a stunt for their high school team and you will be lucky to get a switch up out of them.

I didn't read anywhere where someone said it didn't count. Restricted 5 is separated for a reason. I would agree with the statement that Restricted 5 is not Level 5 (as in not the same as regular level 5--it's restricted, therefore different)
Thank you for clarifying SharkDad. That is exactly what I meant. It is a different division with different rules and different ages. I was merely correcting a previous poster that said that a gym she knew had 11 year olds on their REGULAR Senior Level 5 team.

Well no because the person I quoted said that they don't like to see baby flyers, but a 17 year old can weigh 90lbs just as a 12 yr old can weigh 125lbs. So are they saying that the size of the flyer takes away their credibility.

Like I'm a 95lb 26 yr old academic librarian. Yesterday' my boss told me students weren't goong to take me seriously because of my size. I asked her if i should just apply for disability?

It's hard out here for little people......
You're vertically challenged, that's all. ;). Could be worse- would you rather be 6'2"?

teams that put the 12 yr olds up, alot, not all, but a lot, of them have not mastered body control yet, and you can tell they are being used for the simple fact of their size. and to me, it looks bad.
This I sort of agree with. I won't say a lot of smaller or younger fliers are unskilled- because I don't believe that at all- but if someone doesn't have body control then they won't look good.

I didn't read anywhere where someone said it didn't count. Restricted 5 is separated for a reason. I would agree with the statement that Restricted 5 is not Level 5 (as in not the same as regular level 5--it's restricted, therefore different)
Sharkdad, although I agree with majority of your post I would have to disagree with you on this one! Just because you cant do standing fulls and doubles and a few other minor restrictions does not mean its not level five. You are restricted to do some skills but not all. Heck there Sr. 5 teams that have no standing fulls no doubles only do kick double tosses so does that not qualify them as a level five team? For example my SR5 team of 19 puts up 5 groups with this sequence....stretch to stretch, full up to stretch scorp scale double down, is that or isnt that a level 5 stunt sequence? as well as 4 kick double tosses, 12 RO bhs fulls, elite jump combo to tuck. So the statement that Restricted 5 is not level 5 is FALSE! Sorry i gotta disagree with you!

Sharkdad, although I agree with majority of your post I would have to disagree with you on this one! Just because you cant do standing fulls and doubles and a few other minor restrictions does not mean its not level five. You are restricted to do some skills but not all. Heck there Sr. 5 teams that have no standing fulls no doubles only do kick double tosses so does that not qualify them as a level five team? For example my SR5 team of 19 puts up 5 groups with this sequence....stretch to stretch, full up to stretch scorp scale double down, is that or isnt that a level 5 stunt sequence? as well as 4 kick double tosses, 12 RO bhs fulls, elite jump combo to tuck. So the statement that Restricted 5 is not level 5 is FALSE! Sorry i gotta disagree with you!
I think there is a misunderstanding when discussing "World's Level 5" and "Senior Restricted Level 5". I personally coach a Sr Restricted team and no, we are not a "Worlds Level 5" team, we are Senior Restricted, there is a difference. There are different age limitations, there are different skill limitations. As much as my team does have "World's Level 5" elements, NO, we are not in that division for a reason, we aren't there and are training our athletes to eventually become "World's Level 5" members. I wish people wouldn't get all bent out of shape over this. If you want to be considered "World's Level 5" go in that division, until then the word "Restricted" is put there for a reason and you need to accept what comes along with it. For my team it drives my kids to get the skills that will allow them to be on a TRUE "World's Level 5" team.

I think there is a misunderstanding when discussing "World's Level 5" and "Senior Restricted Level 5". I personally coach a Sr Restricted team and no, we are not a "Worlds Level 5" team, we are Senior Restricted, there is a difference. There are different age limitations, there are different skill limitations. As much as my team does have "World's Level 5" elements, NO, we are not in that division for a reason, we aren't there and are training our athletes to eventually become "World's Level 5" members. I wish people wouldn't get all bent out of shape over this. If you want to be considered "World's Level 5" go in that division, until then the word "Restricted" is put there for a reason and you need to accept what comes along with it. For my team it drives my kids to get the skills that will allow them to be on a TRUE "World's Level 5" team.

The response to sharkdad was not debating the restricted division at all it was saying that it is still a level 5 team as hes previously stated it was not considered level 5. This has nothing to do with the worlds division at all. Its still level 5 beacuse they are doing level five skills, just not a worlds level 5 team. For the record im not bent out of shape about it at all, I myself coach a SR5 team!

Back