All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i really dont understand why international teams dont follow the same rules as the US...

The rules that the US currently uses were developed as the US cheerleading industry developed and therefore always tried to match what was happening at that paticular point in time. Countries which are new to the sport, need that same developmental time too, and need rules which suit what is currenty occuring in their country. To say that all countries should use the US rules is seeing things in a very black and white way. Other countries are moving towads the same rules/scoring/divisions as the US but it will take time to get there. This argument is similar to the 'dirty power' argument that appears in current affairs discussions in that developing countries can't be expected to be held to the same high level of clean power generation that developed countries (which have already gone through the dirty power generation phase). If they were to have to have clean power generation, their development would be seriously slowed or perhaps even discontinued.

Two prime examples from Australia.

1. Australia's scoresheets have a much heavier weighting on stunting and less of a weighting on tumbling. Reason: Participants can generally develop stunting skills much more quickly than tumbling skills if starting at a later age. A lot of cheer teams in Aus are 14+ with a lot of people starting at 16 or 17 years of age (though the age is dropping). It is very difficult to develop tumbling skills at this age. If teams had to limit their level because of their tumble ability, then most teams would be level 1. Level 1 isnt exciting stunting wise and hence I would think that the sport would die. As the younger girls come up through the ranks I expect that the emphasis on stunt/tumble would shift to be similar to the US. Cheer tumble coaches are also very difficult to find and therefore most cheer teams have gymnastics coaches (which tends to mean very slow progress).

2. Australia has an open age division for all levels. This stems from the fact that the pickup into this sport was intially at the older age group level. These new cheerleaders couldn't possibly go straight into level 5 and hence the need to develop low level open team divisions arose. The open age division is often has the strongest teams (though again, this will change as the younger cheerleaders who started learning to tumble at a lower age come up through the ranks).

Just my thoughts on the topic. I am only a cheerleader in Australia and these are my thinkings but may not be correct.

My coed 18+ team has miniature flyers, we're considering starting an "Over 18 Under 5 foot" team on our own and basing each other for funsies.

I don't have an issue with 12 year old flyers on Sr. 5. What I have an issue with is 8 and 9 year old flyers on Senior 1-Restricted 5. When you have such young/little girls, the 15 year old flyer that is 5' and 100 lbs. is considered too big to fly. I believe a senior team should be able to base a senior aged girl.

I agree with you. Sometimes smaller gyms would need to do this, but think about the body image issues it would create for the "said" flyer.

I still feel like you can battle this back and forth and AGAIN while it will annoy some, everyone has a reason... 12 isn't too young, but I honestly do not think I would want my 8 or 9 year old w/ 16/17/18 year olds on a team... however, some gyms may not have the talent and may need the boost on a Senior team if it is a smaller gym... :-/

That's the hole point... If your flyer is small enough you can reach her knees in an extended stunt, obviously that's going to be a hole lot easier than having a normal sized
Flyer.

This is confusing me....if the flyer is in an extended stunt, it's not JUST the size of the flyer making their knee reachable, it's the height of the backspot or length of their arms.

I could therefore start a thread complaining about tall 18 year old long-armed backspots on senior teams making flying too easy.

This is confusing me....if the flyer is in an extended stunt, it's not JUST the size of the flyer making their knee reachable, it's the height of the backspot or length of their arms.

I could therefore start a thread complaining about tall 18 year old long-armed backspots on senior teams making flying too easy.

Thank you. Wouldn't we all love to have a team full of 5'2" size bases and 6 feet tall back spots! lol We would never have a stunt come down. :)

Yes! I am going to make a new small senior team.

I will have exactly 5 teeny tiny 12 year old flyers (max size is 4'8 75 pounds.)

I will have 10 hoss bases that are all 17-18 years old. They will all be between 5'2 and 5'4 and can bench 3 times their body weight. (One of those bases will be the poor girl that is 'too big to fly' so we will put her up to have 6 stunts in a second sequence.)

Then my team will have 5 amazingly tall backspots. Minimum height requirement is 5'10 and must have extremely long arms.

And the height of the bases. As a 5-6 backspot, I'll be able to reach higher up the flyers leg when I'm with bases who are around 5-2, compared to when I'm with bases who are nearer to my own height.

Oh, so, just because the US is the largest cheerleading country in the world, everyone else has to follow the same rules?
Those were the next words out of my mouth..and we wonder why we annoy some countries :rolleyes:

ETA: I had a very amusing pic, but then I realized it had a bad word in it :(

You got me there. I give you credit. I don't know, I just feel like when a back spot is holding their knee it's just too easy for the flyer. But I agree with what your saying.

I really respect teams like Senior Elite who put girls in the air that are normal sized, my team is like that, my flier is almost my size and of our small fliers, they all have the skill. I don't think its a big issue unless they can't tumble, then it bugs me. All the bases and backs had to work hard for their tumbling to make the team, so the fliers should too

I had a 12 year old flyer on my senior 4 last season but she wasn't tiny, She was actually pretty tall but with me being 5'6 with 5'2 bases and the fact that i have VERY long arms I could easily reach her knees in extended stunts

Back