All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Most of the time those teeny fliers are being put up by the smallest bases on the team.
Exactly!!

I agree completely larger flyers look better in the air but when you've got 12-13 year olds who are talented with doubles/3 to doubles they are just as worthy of a spot than anyone else.... If I was a coach I wouldn't turn down a 12 year old with level 5 skills just because I might get critized for how small they are... Especially when they have better skills than some of the older ones... A gym like World Cup, Stingrays they have 1 location of talented level 5s and they have the option for youth 5, junior 5 and then senior 5 but when you've got a smaller gym or a gym with multiple locations within 1 hour or more of eachother you just have to take what you can get... in the end you can't tell a younger talented kid you can't go to worlds cause you're too small. JMO

I totally agree. We have a younger girl who has her full and can hit beautiful level 5 stunts and so she is on our highest team. We don't have the beauty of having more than one level 5 team. So what if they flyers are small what they are doing is still hard. Sure it would be harder with taller, bigger girls but I just don't feel like it really matters. I will say that I don't like if a team only has small flyers but if there is a good mix thats good enough for me.

I was at a competition where a huge girl (not to be rude) was the flyer. It was distracting to me. I kept looking at her thinking how are they hitting that. That probably sounds ignorant but I looked around and everyone had a suprised look on their face.

To solve this problem, there should be an age bracket.. if there is no age bracket, people will question the age. It really comes down to that. A gym is going to do what they feel is best for themselves and their team.

What is best to some may not be the same philosophy to others.. so maybe 1 team feels they can win if they put younger/smaller on seniors, others may not have the amount of athletes and need to pull up younger/smaller athletes. Some places may feel that you work up and earn your spots, some may feel age is something to consider b/c of maturity...

Is it somewhat annoying when you see girls that can obviously base a decent sized flyer holding a squirt.. OF COURSE... but that person is put on that specific team for a reason and the reason, well, it's no ones business if there is not a specific age limit and minimim requirements in the rules!

Exactly!!

I totally agree. We have a younger girl who has her full and can hit beautiful level 5 stunts and so she is on our highest team. We don't have the beauty of having more than one level 5 team. So what if they flyers are small what they are doing is still hard. Sure it would be harder with taller, bigger girls but I just don't feel like it really matters. I will say that I don't like if a team only has small flyers but if there is a good mix thats good enough for me.

I was at a competition where a huge girl (not to be rude) was the flyer. It was distracting to me. I kept looking at her thinking how are they hitting that. That probably sounds ignorant but I looked around and everyone had a suprised look on their face.

I feel anyone deserves a spot on a team as a flyer (small or big) if they're worthy of it. If they can pull their skills, execute everything asked of them... same as anyone on the team... sometimes you'll hear at a competition "wow that girl is big, why is she on a level 5 team" then you watch her and she pulls out a double... kind of the same thing with fliers.... don't judge unless you have a reason too...

personally, i feel as if a gym doesn't have a junior 5 & they're talented enough to be at such a high level of skills for their age then they surely deserve to be on a senior 5 team. but to a certain extent if a the whole team is little kids then that's just ridiculous.

And even these large powerhouse gyms use junior aged/smaller fliers on their worlds teams....

you are right about that! i am the smallest on red but another gym in the area has teeeenie tiny flyers on their all girl. but the age rule is in place for 12 and over so its legal and what else would that 12 year old do if shes that small other than fly? I see both sides :)

I agree.. I mean 12 is 12.. now if you are looking at girls that could be 9/10.. maybe that needs to be investigated... I mean lets face it are we talking 12 or younger then that at this point?

Worlds teams are not mandatory.
Why waste all that talent? I'm not saying we don't have level 5 talent, i'm saying we aren't from places like dallas where you can pick from 500 girls to be on your level 5 team...its more like we can pick from 40 people to make a small team, and if that means we need the 13 year old fetus who throws a double then we're gonna take her.

Okay this is so annoying to me. Im SMALL for my age and I can pull over streched needle points and bow and arrows while the less flexible smaller girls get to be thrown in the air. NOT FAIR.

My observations from watching 3 seasons of flyer class at our gym is this:

The majority of the insanely flexible girls have less body control than the girls that struggle with flexibility. You really can't have both...you're either loose or you're tight...ya know? so it may be that the ones that can pull a less-than-straight-leg scorpion are "easier" to base, or hold themselves up more, or or less likely to fall. And a fall and a bobble are going to get you deductions at comp, whereas an "average stretched" heel stretch will not.

I know my team has some but they don't look twelve.. Last year we had flyers that jus looked that young. I think it looks fine on the floor and if everything hits then I don't see the problem with it!!

My observations from watching 3 seasons of flyer class at our gym is this:

The majority of the insanely flexible girls have less body control than the girls that struggle with flexibility. You really can't have both...you're either loose or you're tight...ya know? so it may be that the ones that can pull a less-than-straight-leg scorpion are "easier" to base, or hold themselves up more, or or less likely to fall. And a fall and a bobble are going to get you deductions at comp, whereas an "average stretched" heel stretch will not.

well I have flown before on all girl and I can partner stunt, with all due respect I dont think thats the case with me, I stretched to be where I am and I think I have the body control to match it.

Back