All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do not have a problem with smaller flyers, its a fact of the cheer world. The problem is that it forces "normal sized" flyers out of the air. My cp is 5'3" and weighs 85 lbs. She is beautiful in the air and I am not just saying that as a mom. She has been compared to the point flyer on Orange last year, by several parents from other gyms. She is only 11, and is the largest flyer on her sr. 4 team. The coaches and owner have told her, she will eventually be pulled from the air, because she will just be too tall, no matter how pretty she looks or how good she is. My cp and I have had many discussions this year, about the fact that this is probably her last year to fly. Since she is probably the tallest, not heaviest, flyer in the gym. That is what I think is unfortunate. Good thing she can base all positions.. :)

I do not have a problem with smaller flyers, its a fact of the cheer world. The problem is that it forces "normal sized" flyers out of the air. My cp is 5'3" and weighs 85 lbs. She is beautiful in the air and I am not just saying that as a mom. She has been compared to the point flyer on Orange last year, by several parents from other gyms. She is only 11, and is the largest flyer on her sr. 4 team. The coaches and owner have told her, she will eventually be pulled from the air, because she will just be too tall, no matter how pretty she looks or how good she is. My cp and I have had many discussions this year, about the fact that this is probably her last year to fly. Since she is probably the tallest, not heaviest, flyer in the gym. That is what I think is unfortunate. Good thing she can base all positions.. :)

High school kids basing high school kids. I think that is the short answer. If someone is small in high school, no big deal. Just would like them all to be in 9th grade or higher.

We DEFINATLEY do not have any Fetus flyers. Our smallest flyer is probably 110-ish. We have a 14 year old, 15 year old, two 17 year olds, and an 18 year old. We do a big high to high tick tock, we have a highlight stunt, and we do 1.5ups. I cant tell you how noticed our flyer sizes are. We have had judges, other coaches, etc - Come up to us and say "Wow! Its really respectable that your doing the stunts your doing with normal sized flyers. Its very refreshing"

Just to make it known to everyone upset by this, this thread is not about girls who are "small for their age", like some of you are taking it as. This thread is about the cheerleaders obviously several years younger and much more under developed than their team mates. No one hates on a girl a few inches or a foot shorter in the air. There is a difference in small for your age, and a "fetus flyer". No reason to get upset.

High school kids basing high school kids. I think that is the short answer. If someone is small in high school, no big deal. Just would like them all to be in 9th grade or higher.
Well sure, it would be great if it could be done. The challenge is I think kids are just smaller these days, and HS are using boys for stunts, at least in our area, so it is not just girls stunting girls. My daughter has been taller than her main bases for the last three years and this year her main base is a Jr. in H.S. 5'3 does not make her a giant, but on her SR. team she is the same size as most of her team. If that is the rule, which at our gym it is, then in order to use smaller kids, you have to go younger. Even if you are looking for just a small difference, you will put younger, smaller kids in the air. But I would sure love to see this change, I prefer watching teams who's flyers are as big as the pod, and they always stand out.

Something to think about:
Number of high school football players: 300,000
Number of college football players: 17,400 (5.8%)

Low estimate of JUST allstar cheerleaders: 125,000
Following the same number there should be: 6,000 competitive college cheerleaders. If filled perfectly that would mean 300 competitive college cheer teams. How many competed NCA or UCA last year?

That probably has more to do with support from the universities. My college team went to NCA, but we footed the entire bill and received no support from the school for anything competition related. They weren't telling us we couldn't compete, but they weren't going to pay for it.

so that is the reason there pretty much is no communication, recruiting, anything between colleges and allstar?

This is untrue on many levels, at least on the east coast. I used to coach college, and I sent recruiting letters nout to every gym in my state and surrounding states. No one ever responded to my letters, and when I made the switch to allstars, the reason I was given was that "We don't want anyone taking our choreography." WHAT!?

THANK YOU cheerKT! People are sooo overly sensitive. People aren't personally attacking your Susies because they are small for their age. I totally agree with you showstopper, I hate watching senior teams with girls flying who you know aren't 13 years old. And honestly even if the "fetus" flyers have talent and can perform the elite stunts and hit every body position, IMO they still look sloppy. They just don't seem to be as sharp and clean as the older, more experienced flyers they are next to up in the air. Its nothing against them its just that they aren't as experienced or have the same amount of body control yet. They would look GREAT on junior or youth teams compared to girls that are their own size/age! I also, think that Worlds should be something to look forward to when you are older. Just stating my personal opinion :)

This is untrue on many levels, at least on the east coast. I used to coach college, and I sent recruiting letters nout to every gym in my state and surrounding states. No one ever responded to my letters, and when I made the switch to allstars, the reason I was given was that "We don't want anyone taking our choreography." WHAT!?

it would behoove colleges to do all that they can to get good relationships with allstar programs. allstars doesnt need college. college NEEDS allstars.

You know what I love (sarcasm), when you see a little girl that looks like she belongs on a Mini or Youth team flying on a Senior team during stunts, but then squats hidden in the back during the dance and jump sections. If she is too young to master the ENTIRE routine, then she is too young to be thrown around in the stunts too.
I'm all for making Senior 14-18. The older girls who have college aspirations for let's say a co-ed team need practice flying too. Remember that special on tv a few years ago about the high school girl who was a flyer her whole life but because they moved up younger little girls onto their squad that were 50-60lbs she and one of the other girls felt the pressure to starve themselves in order to keep their flying positions.
As far as the size of cheerleaders in general- I sort of disagree in a way. Yes I still see a lot of fetuses (girls that should be on younger teams) but I also see a lot of really overweight girls doing some pretty major tumbling skills. It scares me. I guess I've taken one too many physics classes combined with my medical degrees. It is a direct result of the hormones in our foods, the consumption of processed foods, and sedentary lifestyle our country has become accustomed to. I think as serious athletes, cheerleaders really need to consider their nutritional health as well because injuries are no fun and being overweight could mean the difference between a minor injury vs a major injury on a bad landing.

i have a flyer on my team who is like 4' 8 or 9" and she's 17 and a senior and she cant help it.

the title of this thread is bad. i should change it 'anyone else notice a lot of 12 year old flyers on the floor.

i have a flyer on my team who is like 4' 8 or 9" and she's 17 and a senior and she cant help it.
Then I wouldn't consider her a fetus flyer. Obviously there are short girls who can't help their height. No one has any issues with them.

I understand being a small gym and having to work with what you've got, trust me. Especially if you want to keep people in the door. I disagree with bringing up young girls for the sole purpose that they are small, easy to toss around because you're trying to throw together a routine that hits the scoresheet, particularly if it's a division you have no business being in. On my open team, one girl was literally all of 4' 7 and in her early 20s. I know it does happen, but I think we all know when it's happening for size as opposed to filling a team. I will be the first to admit though that I will very much judge you, especially if you are a larger gym. *puts on judgment glasses*

the title of this thread is bad. i should change it 'anyone else notice a lot of 12 year old flyers on the floor.

i'm sorry, i just typically associate "fetus" with the "babies" on the team, aka those not senior aged. yes, maybe old enough to compete on a senior team, but no true senior age. i don't describe small for their age kids as fetuses, feti, whatever it is lol
people keep making an argument that its not fair to those that are small for their age, but never was that what i was referring to. hi, look at me. i look like i'm 12, and i'm in college. but i'm not 12, cheering on a college team (or senior team) get my point? probably not. people are still going to get angry, but i tried... le sigh.... i shall keep spitting out rainbows and butterflies.

Back