Anyone Have Any Tips On Getting Over Mental Blocks ?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 8, 2013
Hi , I've been cheering since preschool ! During one of my cheer seasons I was working on standing fulls, and round off spring fulls! Last competitive season I got a "mental block" . Now I'm so scared to do all of my skills. The only thing I will do by my self is front tumbling and a back walkover ! PLEASE HELP! I don't know what do you ! I go to gymnastics and practice and won't throw anything with a spot or by my self ! This has all led to tears and frustration ! I have tryouts in April so I need to get over this fear fast ! Any tips ? Has anyone else ever had a mental block or fear before?! Please help!

Honestly, the best thing to do is take a break. Pressure and "due dates" for tumbling don't help. Trust me been there, done that, bought the tshirt and gave it to goodwill. I would take a couple of weeks off, don't think about cheer, and focus on something else. If you try to rush yourself it will only get worse, so take a step back, relax, and believe in yourself and your tumbling cause you've got it :) Good Luck!

Visualize your self doing the skill and landing it. The trick to tumbling is being confident in yourself and knowing that can you do it. ALWAYS THINK POSITIVELY. If you start getting frustrated with yourself, stop tumbling and take your break and take your mind off of tumbling.

Visualize your self doing the skill and landing it. The trick to tumbling is being confident in yourself and knowing that can you do it. ALWAYS THINK POSITIVELY. If you start getting frustrated with yourself, stop tumbling and take your break and take your mind off of tumbling.
Thank you! I will be sure to try that ! :)

Go back to your drills. If need be, even back to fly backs onto a crash mat for handsprings. Start with the drills and slowly work up to putting skills together (maybe spotted handspring down a cheese, etc.) and work your way up. DOn't focus on deadlines or set times to get a skill by, and go slow, so you're comfortable. If you're not, go back to an easier version of the skill. You'll get over it when the pressure is gone

Go back to your drills. If need be, even back to fly backs onto a crash mat for handsprings. Start with the drills and slowly work up to putting skills together (maybe spotted handspring down a cheese, etc.) and work your way up. DOn't focus on deadlines or set times to get a skill by, and go slow, so you're comfortable. If you're not, go back to an easier version of the skill. You'll get over it when the pressure is gone
Thank you ! I will try that!

My daughter had one and at the time she was stressed out on the team she was on. She was over thinking throwing the skill and would freeze at a round off...she got through it by not thinking too far ahead of herself and counting and her coach counted out loud with her. Also her coach took off some of the pressure from her by taking her out of the spotlight flying. She got her confidence back and a full later that year.

Back