OT Articles For Cheer As A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
Very redundant , I know. And I know there is most likely a thread on this, but my technology incompetent self cannot get the search to find it.so , if anyone could kindly help in finding the thread or just articles for why cheerleading is a real sport, that would be lovely. My classmates were actually the ones who wanted to do out presentation on it lol Thanks !

Peace love and happy cheering

Show stopper

I don't know of very many articles as of why it is a sport, but I know a lot of why it isn't...
Most of them claim it's not a sport due to lack of organization, etc. However, you could point out that while the administration of cheerleading lacks, the athletic capability needed to be on high level teams (which has been pointed out by courts), cheerleading definitely IS a sport and people shouldn't punish the athletes by something out of their control.
Just an idea. I have a few links I can post if you're interested.

I don't know of very many articles as of why it is a sport, but I know a lot of why it isn't...
Most of them claim it's not a sport due to lack of organization, etc. However, you could point out that while the administration of cheerleading lacks, the athletic capability needed to be on high level teams (which has been pointed out by courts), cheerleading definitely IS a sport and people shouldn't punish the athletes by something out of their control.
Just an idea. I have a few links I can post if you're interested.

yes please!

ShoWStoppeR I wrote a paper on it a couple years ago... I can send you that if you'd like. It has all my sources and the such so obviously those were the articles I used. Just can't remember them off the top of my head!

Very redundant , I know. And I know there is most likely a thread on this, but my technology incompetent self cannot get the search to find it.so , if anyone could kindly help in finding the thread or just articles for why cheerleading is a real sport, that would be lovely. My classmates were actually the ones who wanted to do out presentation on it lol Thanks !

Peace love and happy cheering

Show stopper

Librarian here....send me your email and I'll send you some articles. I can't do in depth research on it because I recently switched from being an academic librarian to children's services so I lost access to a lot of databases. Also just go to the reference desk and ask a librarian...or chat them...most universities have an Ask a Librarian type service

Librarian here....send me your email and I'll send you some articles. I can't do in depth research on it because I recently switched from being an academic librarian to children's services so I lost access to a lot of databases. Also just go to the reference desk and ask a librarian...or chat them...most universities have an Ask a Librarian type service

wooo that's awesome! haha going on year 3 and i didn't know that lol
here's my email! [email protected] thank you!!

ShoWStoppeR I wrote a paper on it a couple years ago... I can send you that if you'd like. It has all my sources and the such so obviously those were the articles I used. Just can't remember them off the top of my head!

yes that would be lovely! i posted my email below :)

thank you everyone for being so helpful.

believe it or not, over all these years i think this is the first time i've done a project on this topic. probably because i know it will get me fired up lol

does anyone happen to have good video links as well? most of the links I have are online articles, and it's a hard thing to search on youtube because everything that comes up is people talking about why it should be a sport... I need something like a news clip or some legitimate documentary.

does anyone happen to have good video links as well? most of the links I have are online articles, and it's a hard thing to search on youtube because everything that comes up is people talking about why it should be a sport... I need something like a news clip or some legitimate documentary.
A news crew came to one of our practices this summer and here's the resulting video... (I swear, we're way better than we look!)

And then here's one from the Today show.

Back