OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
this question has nothing to do with worlds, but since it's a gymnastics-specific random question I figured I'd put it here? sorry.

Saw on twitter that Bailie Key verbally committed to Florida recently... is this the norm? she isn't even senior-elgible yet (and hasn't competed since elbow surgery) granted she is a phenomenal athlete; she actually won all four individual apparatuses and all-around in an international competition in 2013. crazy talented. but she's still a baby! do other sports recruit athletes and have them commit this young (like prior to entering high school)?
Definitely not the norm for other spots. But occasionally you'll hear of verbal commitments for early high school basketball or baseball players. That's usually because (like in gymnastics) the true standouts enter professional leagues straight after high school. So a lot of those don't get honored. No matter when you verbally commit, you still can't sign until the year before you enter college. Plenty of time to turn pro or change your mind.

I bet if some of these 6-7th graders committing to these teams have their careers go downhill to the point where by the time they are juniors/seniors that they are no longer the best choice for these teams of their recruiting classes, those colleges probably won't have to take them.

I liken these commitments to getting engaged to your 7th grade boyfriend and planning to get married when you turn 18. Soooo much can change between now and then - it's really silly.

My baby Larisa Iordache was on fire today. She hit everything and I want her to win gold on beam so bad. I still miss Komova and I can't wait for next year she will be back. Surprised Kyla Ross is out of bars finals but I really dobut she will make it to Worlds next year since Gabi, Aly and McKayla are back. She really has to upgrade she is doing same stuff since 2010. I love watching Ashton on bars and hoping she wins a medal. Oh and Aliya is fiercer than ever this year. She is becoming my favorite gymnast to watch.

Last edited:
Is there a start list for the men's team final anywhere yet?

My baby Larisa Iordache was on fire today. She hit everything and I want her to win gold on beam so bad. I still miss Komova and I can't wait for next year she will be back. Surprised Kyla Ross is out of bars finals but I really dobut she will make it to Worlds next year since Gabi, Aly and McKayla are back. She really has to upgrade she is doing same stuff since 2010. I love watching Ashton on bars and hoping she wins a medal. Oh and Aliya is fiercer than ever this year. She is becoming my favorite gymnast to watch.
(Sorry for the double post) But I just saw a tweet saying that Iordache is to the Romanian team what Beyonce was to Destiny's Child. I love her so much but she's their saving grace right now. They had so many strong athletes retire at once so their whole team is just so inexperienced. They had to count a 10 point something on bars. :confused:

Last edited:
(Sorry for the double post) But I just saw a tweets saying that Iordache is to the Romanian team what Beyonce was to Destiny's Child. I love her so much but she's their saving grace right now. They had so many strong athletes retire at once so their whole team is just so inexperienced. They had to count a 10 point something on bars. :confused:

I love Iordache's gymnastics style too - I'm going to look for some videos of her routines. I guess Katalina Ponor is done? I guess she'd be like 27 now, but she was amazing on beam and floor at the last Olympics. Having to count a 10 something on bars - gosh, that's harsh :/.

(Sorry for the double post) But I just saw a tweets saying that Iordache is to the Romanian team what Beyonce was to Destiny's Child. I love her so much but she's their saving grace right now. They had so many strong athletes retire at once so their whole team is just so inexperienced. They had to count a 10 point something on bars. :confused:

She defenetly is the Beyonce to this team. it looks like the took Iordache and 6 random kids to worlds. But Ponor and Izbasa retired this season and Bulimar is injuried so that's why they are so weak this year. But their juniors are amazing so they have a bright future for Rio 2016.

So just to summarize for the US woman:
Biles qualified for the all around and event finals on beam, floor and vault, with the top score on all of them. Kyla Ross qualified for the all around and beam finals. McKayla Skinner qualified for the vault and floor finals, and Ashton Locklear qualified for bars finals.

And for the US men:
Donnell Whittenburg and Sam Mikulak will be in the all around. Jake Dalton qualified for floor and vault finals, Alex Naddour on pommel and Danell Leyva and Whittenburg on p bars. The team currently sits in 3rd.

Last edited:
I fell asleep during China's beam last night....

But girl that was first on the bars was a mess. I thought maybe it was still warm ups...and maybe it was.... whatever it was was a tragedy.

Ant those Chinese girls need to get their weight up if they ever want to come near us in vault...or floor.

Anywho

Results
FIG Live Results

So excited to watch this year! It makes me miss those 12 years of gymnastics back in the day lol
This quad, there aren't may returners from each of the international teams (at least as of now). It will be very interesting to see how some of these newcomers will handle the competition. My money is going on Biles or Mustafina to take the all-around title, though I am leaning more towards Biles... though I should mention that I prefer Mustafina due to her artistry and overall impression.

When did UnderArmour start making leos? Or am I just wayyyy out of touch with gymanstics now days?

When did UnderArmour start making leos? Or am I just wayyyy out of touch with gymanstics now days?
It's been a few years. Maybe 2010 or 2011? Alicia Sacramone was the face of UA gym last quad. I'm pretty sure now UA is the official clothing/leo provider until after the 2020 games.

It's been a few years. Maybe 2010 or 2011? Alicia Sacramone was the face of UA gym last quad. I'm pretty sure now UA is the official clothing/leo provider until after the 2020 games.

I also think UA has a partnership or something of the likes with GK. Noticed a couple of weeks ago on the GK site that they are selling fully customisable UA leos, warm ups, the lot on their site in addition to their own brand items.

(someone please tell me to hush if im completely wrong and its been like that for ages)

I fell asleep during China's beam last night....

But girl that was first on the bars was a mess. I thought maybe it was still warm ups...and maybe it was.... whatever it was was a tragedy.

Ant those Chinese girls need to get their weight up if they ever want to come near us in vault...or floor.

Anywho

Results
FIG Live Results

I watched the Chinese - all I could think when I first saw them was that they all look so young and tiny. If they were flying on a senior level 5 at worlds I'd be crying foul for sure ;)...haha.

I saw the first girl mess up on bars too - it was pretty bad, and what they showed of her warm-up looked a lot better, so it was unfortunate she messed up when it counted (I would see that at meets a lot particularly on bars - my CP doesn't like to warm up bars at all cause she says she's always the best the first time she does her routine after resting and it just gets worse as she does it more times - maybe the Chinese girl is the same way ;)).

The rest of the Chinese rocked their bar routines though - they were amazing - I think all of the others placed top 5 from what the screen said at the time, but only 2 can go to finals.

Their beam routines were good too. They had one girl on floor w/ an amazing first tumbling pass - but a lot of their floor landings as a team were just really short (not enough height to get it all in so they were landing on their knees/bent over).

They had one girl w/ an amazing vault - I think the score came up w/ her placing 5th on the event at the time, so she may have made the finals. I was actually pretty impressed w/ their vaulting considering that most of them probably weigh less than 50 pounds. When my CP was their size (back when she was 5 ;)), she could barely get the spring board to go down an inch when she jumped on it.

Back