Aspiring Level 5 Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2014
Hi all, I'm taking this season off to work on my tumbling because I hope to be on a level 5 team someday. I'm currently 15 and I feel like I'm really short on time to make a senior team, although I know an IOC5 team will always be an option. I haven't been in the gym in a while, say 3 weeks, because my coach keeps on cancelling on me but I am going to start working out a schedule with my dad so I can go during the week. It would be ideal to get level 5 tumbling skills in a year, because someone I know did it but at the same time I know everyone is different. I'm not sure what I should aim for: classes during the week and privates during the weekend or something else? How long do you think it will take considering the fact that last month I was super close to roundoff backhand spring on the tumble track? If you have level 5 skills, how long did it take you to get them?

Hi all, I'm taking this season off to work on my tumbling because I hope to be on a level 5 team someday. I'm currently 15 and I feel like I'm really short on time to make a senior team, although I know an IOC5 team will always be an option. I haven't been in the gym in a while, say 3 weeks, because my coach keeps on cancelling on me but I am going to start working out a schedule with my dad so I can go during the week. It would be ideal to get level 5 tumbling skills in a year, because someone I know did it but at the same time I know everyone is different. I'm not sure what I should aim for: classes during the week and privates during the weekend or something else? How long do you think it will take considering the fact that last month I was super close to roundoff backhand spring on the tumble track? If you have level 5 skills, how long did it take you to get them?

Everyone picks up skills at a different pace. It took my CP six seasons to get level 5 tumbling skills, and she is just barely there. This is with countless privates, extra tumble classes, etc. Although she has some level 5 tumbling skills, I would not yet consider her an all-around level 5 athlete. Some pick up these skills much quicker, some never get these skills no matter how long they work on them. Please remember there is more to being level 5 than tumbling, experience cheering at lower levels is essential.

Some people can do that but most people progress one level per season, give or take, Don't allow yourself to rush to get skills because that creates a much higher risk for injury, and makes learning the next skill that much more difficult.

As said above, you want to be well-rounded. Work on good jump technique and height. (Hyperextended, pointed toes, feet together at the bottom) Find some friends and take a stunt class where you can practice higher-level stunts, but remember not to jump to level 5 skills, master level 2 then level 3 and so on before you move on to the next level. Good luck!! <3

Sorry to say this, but for the vast majority of people. It isn't realistic to go from level 1 ( this is where you are if you don't have ROBHS on the floor) to level 5 in a year. As those above said, a level a year is reasonable for most people. I am not a coach, but from what a I see watching it is also pretty common to progress as far as level 3 quickly and then spend a couple of years there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you doing to work on your stunts and jumps? Is joining a lower level team an option to help you work up to L5 skills in those areas? L1-L5 seems to be a big jump in only a year.
For sure I will practice jumps at home with weights, but you make a good point stunt-wise

Some people can do that but most people progress one level per season, give or take, Don't allow yourself to rush to get skills because that creates a much higher risk for injury, and makes learning the next skill that much more difficult.

As said above, you want to be well-rounded. Work on good jump technique and height. (Hyperextended, pointed toes, feet together at the bottom) Find some friends and take a stunt class where you can practice higher-level stunts, but remember not to jump to level 5 skills, master level 2 then level 3 and so on before you move on to the next level. Good luck!! <3
Thank you! You're super sweet

Sorry to say this, but for the vast majority of people. It isn't realistic to go from level 1 ( this is where you are if you don't have ROBHS on the floor) to level 5 in a year. As those above said, a level a year is reasonable for most people. I am not a coach, but from what a I see watching it is also pretty common to progress as far as level 3 quickly and then spend a couple of years there.

True, thank you for your insight

Mental toughness goes a long way in tumbling. If you want to be good, you'll put in the extra work. It helps if you have some extra fuel, (like everyone who told me I'd never amount to anything ;) ). This means going for runs, hitting the gym, sit ups/ push ups during commercials ;).

I started cheering when I was 20. My dreams of being on a Senior level 5 team ended before I even had a chance. I was told I'll never tumble, or even be a good stunter, but they didn't know me. They didn't know how big my heart was. Have you ever found something you've fallen in love with? That was cheering for me.

Fast forward two years, and I'm a solid level 5 athlete. Well maybe I'm a little weak in the tumbling. I have a whip through to full (round off handspring whip handspring handspring full) and standing (Handspring handspring Whip handspring full), and an arabian through to full, but no double or standing full yet. My jumps are slightly hyperextended. My stunting is strong.

What I'm saying is, you need to want it. You need to prove the doubters wrong. It won't just happen. There's going to be injuries, tears, thoughts of giving up. How you deal with these setbacks determines how fast you'll improve. I fell... a lot. When I fell people would ask if I was ok and I'd respond with, why wouldn't I be? You need to know you're going to make it, and you will.

Last edited:
Honestly, it is going to be very difficult to get level 5 skills in a year. I was an allstar cheerleader for 13 years and I barely made level 4, but I was a very slow learner and I had a mental block for 2 years that kept me from getting new skills. But if you are determined enough I believe you can do it. Good luck

It's very improbable for a 15 year old to go from a robhs on the tumble track to level 5 cheer tumbling in a year. I'd say level 3 tumbling is a possibility if you have a lot of natural leg power, are fearless and really want it.

I went from solid level 2 to solid level 4 in one season. But it took me two seasons to go from solid level 4 athlete to an ok level 5 athlete tumbling wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very improbable for a 15 year old to go from a robhs on the tumble track to level 5 cheer tumbling in a year. I'd say level 3 tumbling is a possibility if you have a lot of natural leg power, are fearless and really want it.
We had a HS (sophomore)boy who was a diver for years and came to us, by his Sr. Year he was our best tumbler! Crazy how boys progress so much quicker!

We had exactly the same thing. A male high school diver who went from no tumbling to full in just a few months.

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I can't for this season, even if I don't get to be level 5 as fast as the other girl it just counts that I progress and that I enjoy it which I do :)) thank you all so much!! ♥♥♥

Back