Bad Idea To Move Up??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 2, 2012
How do you parents or cheerleaders feel when you have a younger kid move up to your team? My 6 yr old finally got her round off back handspring and is now on level 2..(she turned 6 last week i know it's not super advanced but this gym is small and for her us the tumbling is a big accomplishment lol).. Well since they made the announcement last week two parents have complained about her being on the team, and I it's those same parents that repeatedly ask about her age. The next age up from her is 8...of course I am her mom so prob being biased but skill wise and dance wise she looks right at place with them.just wondering if I should have kept her with the Tini team and if this was a bad IDEa.. Thanks for listening to my whining lol sorry for long post...

Here is my experience. A 10 year old and an 11 year old moved up onto the restricted 5 team at my gym. This is our first year ever having any kind of level 5 team as we are a small gym as well. There was a parent and athlete who complained about younger kids potentially being placed on the team but why are they on the team? 1. They have fulls. 2. They act mature enough. 3. Their jumps are above level. 4. They have excellent body positions and are tight in the air. 5. They can pick up dance quick. Our gym owner privately met with all the juniors and seniors on the team to find out if any of us actually had a problem with the little kids being on the team and almost all of us did not. So in my opinion, if you, and the child's coaches feel she is ready for the older team and can handle being with girls older than her and focus well, then she's where she belongs. The other parents will just have to trust that the coaches are making the decision to move up your kid with the whole team in mind, to make them better as a whole and have a greater chance of success. Good luck!

How do you parents or cheerleaders feel when you have a younger kid move up to your team? My 6 yr old finally got her round off back handspring and is now on level 2..(she turned 6 last week i know it's not super advanced but this gym is small and for her us the tumbling is a big accomplishment lol).. Well since they made the announcement last week two parents have complained about her being on the team, and I it's those same parents that repeatedly ask about her age. The next age up from her is 8...of course I am her mom so prob being biased but skill wise and dance wise she looks right at place with them.just wondering if I should have kept her with the Tini team and if this was a bad IDEa.. Thanks for listening to my whining lol sorry for long post...
Is she moving up to a Mini Level 2 or a Youth Level 2? Is she a base or a flyer? Will she have a spot in the stunts and pyramid or is she just on that team now for the tumbling? Will she still be with her peers on the Tiny team? As you can see the answer is never simple.
There are always going to be parents who complain at a gym about anything and everything. If the coaches wanted her on the Level 2 team then it's simple, they think she can handle it and can be an asset to the team. One of the hardest things to do as a cheer mom is to quickly thicken that skin, ignore what's being said about your cp and trust that her coaches have her best interest in mind as well as the team's. Good luck to you and to your cp!

I think that is a huge accomplishment for a six year old! Don't let those parents get to you. The coaches know what works best, so let them handle the issues and those parents. Let her take this opportunity and shine!

Thank you :) from mini to youth level 2-will be a flier and she is part of the team overall dance and everything..yes I definitely do need to thicken my skin ~or just have a beer before I go ;) jk
Yes, the beer will help! Cheerleading...driving yet another parent to drink lol! I'm not surprised to hear she's going to be a flyer too - that will get parents talking about your cp because she probably replaced someone who was previously flying who may now be basing and is not too happy (and neither is that parent). Your daughter's skills will speak for themselves and hopefully as the season progresses the parents' chitchat about your cp will quiet down.

I was there, one year ago!!! Don't give up!!

My just turned 6 year old had her Ro, bhs and multiples and all that good stuff.
She went from tiny 1
To youth 2 last season.

I let it eat me alive. The next age up was 9. My daughter was the only baby on the team.

She had to fly, and moms were so jealous.
Day 1 a mom sat and went off on me for a whole hour at practice how her daughter paid her "dues" and did tiny for 2 years and mini for 3 years and was FINALLY able to make youth 2 where she could fly but my tiny level 1 daughter had to make the team and now her daughter is to big to fly!
It was ridiculous. (we too were at a smaller gym so it was a huge accomplishment there)

Then you have moms yelling at their cp with janky BHS's saying "omg you are letting a 6 year old out tumble you".. (in front of my daughter) but why?

I always found it was the moms with less talented kids then my daughter that was upset. The moms with the talented kids thought it was so cute and was so happy for her no tooth having smiling 6 year old self.

I will tell you the first month I asked the owner if she wanted to move her back to minis and I wouldn't be mad. She said no your daughter earned and deserves the spot on this team dont let what they say get to you!

It took some time, but please don't give up. My daughter learned so much and I promise you it gets better!

Eta: my daughter wasn't the best tumbler on youth level 2, maybe in the top 3 or 4 in the beginning. However, she ended the season with the most skills and had her tuck. Also was awarded the end of the year trophy, it was the "youth rookie of the year award" only 2 girls on that team were on youth 2 before so they werent eligible to win that so out of all the other girls she worked super hard and earned it!

Don't discount emotional maturity either! I know CP has been on teams with "older" girls for that level and some of them weren't as mature as the younger ones. I think it's awesome that your child is that talented and as long as you feel that she's emotionally able to handle the team dynamics and physical demands, grab a beer (or 3) and thicken that skin! Good luck!!

I think MaineStarEm234summed it up pretty well. I'm kind of on the same stand point as everyone. If your child has the proper skills and fits in, then she more than deserves to be there. I remember way back in the day when I was youth aged and I was the oldest on the team at 10, and they brought up a 6 year old, we were all a little annoyed at first because she didn't always know what she was doing or where she was going, but we all loved her to death and she ended up helping our team a WHOLE lot. Plus, she had rockstar tumbling & flying skills. I would say just ignore those PCMs (psycho cheer moms.) and let your daughter do her thing. they can be jealous all they want! ;)

I think MaineStarEm234summed it up pretty well. I'm kind of on the same stand point as everyone. If your child has the proper skills and fits in, then she more than deserves to be there. I remember way back in the day when I was youth aged and I was the oldest on the team at 10, and they brought up a 6 year old, we were all a little annoyed at first because she didn't always know what she was doing or where she was going, but we all loved her to death and she ended up helping our team a WHOLE lot. Plus, she had rockstar tumbling & flying skills. I would say just ignore those PCMs (psycho cheer moms.) and let your daughter do her thing. they can be jealous all they want! ;)

PCMs! Hee Hee, totally stealing!!

Back