High School Bad Injuries.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know a lot of girls who have injured their acl. Is there anything you can do to prevent these kind of injuries?

I know a lot of girls who have injured their acl. Is there anything you can do to prevent these kind of injuries?

make sure there is no way for it to ever happen? no, sadly not. but i think we can make sure we are using proper technique and building skills in a safe way. a cheerleader who has a terrible layout but starts working fulls is going to have a greater risk of tearing something serious as compared to a cheerleader who follows proper progression.

this being said, an acl tear can happen to even the most cautious and careful athletes.

Not really the worst injury I know of but I didn't want to start a new thread for this....
But tonight at an away football game. A cheerleader from our team Riverdale High School was hurt.
She was a base and some how her flyer came down and must have hit her. (we had just got a TD I wasn't paying attention)
Anyways she laid there on the track she didn't move her head, her arms, her legs. Her flyer was crying so much and all the coaches were around her.
The ambulance came and took her away on a stretcher. Still having not seen her move not 1 inch and she went to the hospital.
All the cheerleaders prayed for like 10 mins straight and were crying and hugging each other. I hope she is ok and everyone will pray for her!!!
I'll update if I find out what's wrong!!
That's so scary! Hope she's okay

That's so scary! Hope she's okay
She got a concussion.
They said she didn't break anything.
I thought since she laid there and didn't even move and was put on that board strapped in on the stretcher that maybe she had some spinal injuries but she doesn't! :)
I was so relieved to find out she was ok... It was sooo scary!

I broke my nose flipping out of a stunt (my bases didn't tuck their elbows in), tore my acl doing a around the world, and bruised my tailbone by falling on my butt after a full.

I've fallen to this injury twice. Sadly there's no "prevention" because sometimes it's a freak thing. But proper conditioning and strengthening of the joints definitely helps! I had my fewest injuries when I was weight training because I was constantly strengthening my joints.

As for my worst injury, I'd have to say my most recent concussion was the worst. Even more so than my 2 ACL/meniscus's. Even though I didn't need surgery or anything for the concussion, the damage it did was a bit on the devistating side. I couldn't walk or even stand still without loosing balance. My memory went to crap. I wasn't eating or sleeping and it was just hell. It took 4-5 months to recover.

I fractured my L4 vertebra, my back handsprings have never been the same since. It is a stress fracture so it will never go away, its been almost two years and I still have to deal with the pain but I keep cheering. Im working on fulls now. The only thing that really bothers me though is my old coaches used it against me. :/

I hate when coaches hold it aganist kids for injuries. There is always one that milks an injury but majority of cheerleaders that get injured don't "want" to be injured and they don't like it and if you are hurt in any way, a coach should NEVER use it against them. If there is a sutuation where you feel miss Suzie-Q is milking her bruise on her pinky finger and it is causing a hinderance to the team, you need to take it up w/ the child and parent and discuss the injury and how it is affecting her and at times us as coaches need to be like "I am concerend that this injury is still nagging. Can we get a doctors note on what she can and can't do? Etc."

i have a torn deltoid right now, THAAT hurts.

but i have back injuries and im pretty sure my shin splints are now stress fractures because they hurt so bad all the time. which also hurts my knees. I dont mind pushing through those, though.

I still cant really do backhandsprings without my back seriously hurting, but its only for a few seconds and then im fine.

My cp's coach says that it usually happens when you tumble with your legs apart and land on one leg before the other. Staying tight and squeezing your legs and toes together is his answer.

Cracked the orbital bone in my left eye in college at NCA Nationals. Yeah....even performed the rest of the routine. No fun :(

A flyer almost broke my nose once. I ended up being fine and barely bruised. Not really a big ordeal for me, but there wasn't even an "Are you okay?" or a "Thank you for catching me with your face instead of letting me hit the ground" sort of thing haha...

I haven't had any major injuries I just have what's called Snapping Hip Syndrome (usually something older people get) in my knees. The tendon or ligament (or whatever connects the muscles to your joints and bones.. I got this confused in biology last year) pulls whenever I stretch, do splits, jumps, etc. It doesn't bother me too bad DURING practice but after its hard to walk. I wear a brace on it during practice.

I had inflamed tendons in my wrist from tumbling earlier this year, I had to wear a brace for 4 weeks. Then a month after I got the brace off I tore a ligament in my elbow doing a bhs the night before tryout. Not fun :(

Back