All-Star Best Poofs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

speed.jpg

I stole this out of the new uni thread, but this has to be one of the best poufs I've ever seen. Perfection. And her bow is still standing up facing forward, like it's supposed to be (bows are my biggest pet peeve. I need to see your whole bow from the front. And I shouldn't be able to tell what your bow looks like at all from behind you.:banghead: )

4757a5bb-88ff-c857.jpg

4757a5bb-8918-bef0.jpg

This is my cp's poof today. I just did a run thru since I haven't done it in a long time and I've never done it for cheer.

I realized I need to move the ponytail about 1 inch forward so the bow sits up more and doesn't lay back.

Also this is without any hair spray or any product in her hair. I don't want to have to re wash and straighten it at like 3 in the morning so this was just so I could get an idea!
Tomorrow it should look better or so we hope lol

Eta: that is not lipstick on her teeth, that's just where they are missing lol

I was going to write this the other day and I didnt have the time, but today there is no class today so its really quiet around here. (I live with 32 girls and only 4 are here right now its super creepy)

So, I used to have really nice thick hair but this summer I had alot of bloodwork problems and I lost alot of it. So when I had to do competition hair it was a bit of a challenge and I had to change my strategy alot since I am now working with about half the hair that I used to have. Most of the videos that I found were girls with thick or curly textured hair and my hair just doesnt function like that. I can air dry or blow dry my hair and it is straight and it is flat. So for all of those girls out there with the thin and floppy hillbilly hair, this is what I have found works best:

Wash your hair that morning, not the day before like most other hair types because when thin hair gets greasy, it looks even thinner, and personally, I just think its gross. Blow dry your hair using a paddle brush to lift it upward and when you're done flip your head upside down and lightly mist with hair spray. The key there is lighltly, if you put it on heavy it will make your hair even flatter. Too much product in my hair makes it go flat and not enough makes it go flat.. great right? Then, I use dry shampoo (I do not like suave or treseme which are the two you find at Walmart, they just dont work. I would use either Batiste from Sallys, Not your Mothers from Ulta, or Victorias Secret) around the hair around my face and also the section that my poof will be in to give it some texture.

Next, section off your poof. I like the part to go from right above my temples into a rectangle that ends directly above my ears. It goes abut an inch and a half back on my head, but I have a pretty big head. Let that section hang in front of your face and clip the rest of your hair back tightly.

Starting at the back of your "rectangle", pull about centimeter or less wide layer of a hair straight up. Sprinkle on some volumizing powder evenly along the roots of this layer. (I have used Osis and Not your Mothers, not your mothers is about $5 from Ulta where as Osis is more like $30 so I would go with Not your Mothers). Next, take a soft bristle teasing BRUSH not a comb and backcomb the hair from behind. The volumizing powder makes it really big easier so you probably only have to tease a few times, I would say I do about 5 - 10 combs for this first layer and do a little less the closer I get to my face. Repeat this with the volumizing powder and teasing until you get to the front of your section. By the time I get to the front section, I would say I only backcomb it about 3 times. At this point, your hair should be about 6 inches in the air. Its huge.

This next step is really important. You can mist the section with a little bit of hair spray, let it dry and then take a fine tooth teasing COMB, not the brush from earlier and push down the backcombing of the whole section so that it is really compact. This makes my poof almost solid. I can forward roll on it and my head doesnt hit the floor. This compacting is what makes thin hair structured so that it doesnt flop. Now your hair is probably down to about 4 to 5 inches tall.

With a quick hair flip, I have that section so that is going toward the back of my head like a poof would. I then take my soft bristle teasing BRUSH from earlier and REALLY REALLY lightly go over the top of the poof so that is it smooth, and then I mist it with hair spray. I then grab the section rather tightly, spin it once, push it forward until the poof is right where I want it, and bobby pin it with about 5 to 8 bobby pins.

I then make a part that extends from directly in front of my ears to about a centimeter or so behind the bobby pins. This section is really thin and even though my hair is long, there is not alot of hair left coming out of my poof. I smooth this section up with the soft bristled brush, mist it with hair spray and secure. This should be at the very, very top of your head. Since my hair is so thin, it takes about 6 to 8 loops around with a hair tie to make it nice and tight and standing straight up. If it is not standing straight up, I will push it forward so that it is and twist in from behind a goody spin pin (those new spiral bobby pins that they make). From there, I mist the whole thing with hair spray.

Now, I do one final step before I curl because the pony tail is so thin and really it makes the overall look. You section the pony tail in layers just like you did the poof section, sprinkle it with volumizing powder and tease it just like you teased your poof. You push it down with the teasing comb and really lightly smooth the top layer. Some times I also do this to the very top section of the "down" part of the hair up half down. Then it is time to mist your whole head and curl.

It is not a 2 minute process like it is for other people. It takes a long time, but if you have thin, stringy hair, doing it like someone with thick hair just isn't going to look good. Hope this helps a few people!

anyone have a video that show how to do a poof for people with side bangs or straight forward bangs :) my go to the side like middle eye level, and sometime i get a really good poof, but other times it takes a while

anyone have a video that show how to do a poof for people with side bangs or straight forward bangs :) my go to the side like middle eye level, and sometime i get a really good poof, but other times it takes a while

try what I just posted, I have bangs that go to mid-eye level and it works fine for me because there is so much tease.

Back