OT Bow Making Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 13, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has any tips that they have learned for making bows. I currently have taught myself how to do it with ribbon but now I'm trying to use fabric and having a hard time. Is there any tools or specific items I should use to make it easier?

What are you using to stick the fabric to the ribbon?
I got this interfacing stuff that they suggested I use at Jo-Ann's. I just iron it together but it just feels too thick once I get ready to fold it.

Also when I try and use satin its just too flexible and then the spray stiffener I got changes the color of it so I dont know of another way to stiffen the satin

Also when I try and use satin its just too flexible and then the spray stiffener I got changes the color of it so I dont know of another way to stiffen the satin
Try hairspray. That's what I use to stiffen my bows... though I have to admit, I never used it on satin.

Good luck! :)

I got this interfacing stuff that they suggested I use at Jo-Ann's. I just iron it together but it just feels too thick once I get ready to fold it.

Yeah, use hairspray. We use something called Steam-A-Seam Lite which is like what you described. Make sure you get the "light" stuff if you haven't already, and that should make it more flexible to work with.

Yeah, use hairspray. We use something called Steam-A-Seam Lite which is like what you described. Make sure you get the "light" stuff if you haven't already, and that should make it more flexible to work with.
Ok thanks I'll see if I can get it lighter or find the type you listed.

you will need a rotary cutting tool, cutting mat, I use a 3" wide clear ruler to guide the rotary cutter, a woodburning tool and metal ruler to heat seal ends, glue or heat-n-bond lite; also a glass or metal surface to do the heat sealing on. I use Aleene's fast grab or JoAnn's Real Deal tacky glue (also a fast grab glue). The glue does show through on some materials so you have to use heat and bond for those (whites, satin ribbons, lite color grosgrains).

Thanks! That helps a lot I'm going to the store tomorrow so ill add these to my list.

Back