All-Star Cheer And Gymnastics Relationship?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2015
Just wondering, what is the relationship between cheer and gymnastics or dance like in your town? We cheerleaders get along pretty well with the dancers, but we don't think that the gymnasts like us much. One of my friends says that the people at gymnastics talk about us behind our backs and say things like we're not very talented. At gymnastics they can pick and choose who they want, and generally come off as mean and b*****. Is there anyway to improve this relationship, and is it the same in all towns or do we just have a mean group of gymnasts?

Well my CP started cheering at a gymnastic's gym so...there is that. And where she cheers now has their own gymnastic and dance teams.

There are several gymnastics, dance studios and cheer gyms in my area. A lot of gymnasts cheer for their high schools, have switched to all star cheerleading and some cheerleaders also do dance. For the most part were all friends and support each other but I have met some girls who were snobby to me because I was a cheerleader or just didn't want to socialize with cheerleaders for whatever reason.
A persons attitude heavily relies on the attitudes of those around them so that could be why there's a lot of negativity in your town. Just stay positive and be the bigger person :)

I know in my town some gymnasts have a hard time understanding how levels work in cheer and a lot of times compare tumbling in terms of technique and difficulty. The similarities between the sports can definitely lead to judgement. It think the fact the allstar cheer is unique mishmash of so many elements from different sports it make it hard for athletes who don't participate in cheer to "get it"

In our area the cheer, gym and dance girls seem to all get along and generally support each other - my CP has been involved in all 3 scenes and knows a lot of people from all three. Yeah, gym people will say things about bad cheer tumbling technique and the dancers will say things about the bad dance technique of the gymnasts, and the cheer people will say things about how generally boring dance and gym are compared to cheer ;) - but none of it is serious and usually the group being ripped on will laugh/shake it off cause for the most part it goes w/ the territory. The snootiest and most exclusionary of all 3 scenes are the dance Moms IMO - they seem to have the attitude that what their kid does is the hardest and involves the most talent and discipline and that the other two are some type of barbaric unladylike venture for girls w/ bad feet and manly features - haha! Not all are like this, but enough are that it annoys me, some dance teachers have this attitude too.

Back