All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If your gyms continue to grow at the rate they have been, do you see a problem in the next few years with not having enough space in the gyms to schedule team practices, classes, etc? IIRC, your Plano gym was the one who moved to a bigger facility recently. With the trend of athletes flocking to the big gyms, do you think your facilities will be able to accommodate the expected growth for the years to come?

Is it challenging to find spaces big enough that would be able to handle all the activity your gyms see?

How many teams/classes/athletes do you have practicing in the gym at the same time?

The gym my CP is trying out at does not allow their athletes to do the winter season. So I was curious. [emoji4]

During the conversation, athletes are told the team name, division, practice times, and who will coach the team.

It definitely can take a while to come up with team names. Most of the "normal" names have been used up by now, so we have to get a little creative at this point.
Need any ideas?

2015-2016 Plano Teams for those of you who don't wish to see it in the chart form.

LadyKatz - Int Open 6
Claw 6 - Int Open Large Coed 6
WildCats - Int Open Large Coed 5
Swooshcats - Int Open Small Coed 5

Panthers - Large Senior 5
JungleCats - Medium Senior Coed 5
Cheetahs - Large Senior Coed 5

Jags - Small Junior Coed 5
Pumas - Large Senior R5
FuryCats - Large Junior Coed R5

SavageCats - Open Coed 4
Tigers - Small Senior 4
Sassycats - Large Senior 4
Prowlers - Large Senior Coed 4
Thundercats - Large Junior 4
Bengals - Small Junior 4
Wondercats - Small Youth 4

Ligers - Large Senior Coed 3
FireCats - Large Senior 3
Lynx - Large Junior 3
IceCats - Small Junior 3
Lions - Small Youth 3

Sabres - Large Senior 2
Katz - Large Junior 2
Leopards - Small Junior 2
Cougars - Large Youth 2
Cubs - Small Mini 2

BearKatz - Small Junior 1
KittyKatz - Large Youth 1
Bobcats - Large Mini 1
Show Kittens - Tiny 1
Itty Bitty Kitties - Tiny 1

Last edited:
2015-2016 Austin Teams for those of you who don't wish to see it in the chart form.

OnyxCats - Medium Senior 5
CrystalCats - Small Junior Coed 5
DiamondCats - Small Senior Coed R5
PlatinumCats - Senior Small Coed 4
ChromeCats - Small Senior 4
RubyCats - Large Junior 4
PearlCats - Large Senior 4.2
JadeCats - Small Junior 3
SapphireCats - Small Youth 3
CoralCats - Large Junior 2
EmeraldCats - Small Junior 1

2015-2016 Frisco Teams for those of you who don't wish to see it in the chart form.

GalaxyCats - Large Junior 4
LunaCats - Large Senior 3
NebulaCats - Large Junior 3
CometCats - Large Senior 2
AstroCats - Large Youth 2
SolarCats - Small Junior 1
MeteorCats - Large Youth 1
TwinkleCats - Tiny 1

2015-2016 Charlotte Teams for those of you who don't wish to see it in the chart form.

QueenCats - Int Open 5
RoyalCats - Small Senior Coed 5
ReignCats - Large Senior R5
RegalCats - Large Senior 4
DynastyCats - Large Junior 4
CrownCats - Small Senior Coed 4.2
ImperialCats - Large Senior Coed 3
EmpressCats - Large Junior 3
Majesticats - Large Junior 2
NobleCats - Small Senior 1
Aristocats - Small Youth 1

I know the season practices haven't even started for Plano teams, but do you know if any pre-existing teams will be getting new uniforms in the fall?
I believe that some teams will be getting new uniforms, but I don't know who they are. We have a full-time staffer whose entire job is to select/coordinate/distribute practice wear and uniforms (Amber) and she has all of that decided, but I have not seen which teams those are.

@BlueCat I'm excited to see all of the CA teams. Will there be videos of ALL of the teams allowed at the first gym performance night or first competition? I know that most gyms (especially for worlds teams) try to keep their routines under wraps until after big competitions, but COME ON!! Kittykatz last year were INSANE!! I love the technique of CA as a whole from level 1-5. I can't wait to see CA's lower level teams (and world teams) KILL IT this season! #GotMyClawsOut

We aren't always excited about team videos getting out - particularly early in the season. However, it is basically impossible to stop. We try to stop people from videoing practices, but performances/competitions are basically free to video.

If your gyms continue to grow at the rate they have been, do you see a problem in the next few years with not having enough space in the gyms to schedule team practices, classes, etc? IIRC, your Plano gym was the one who moved to a bigger facility recently. With the trend of athletes flocking to the big gyms, do you think your facilities will be able to accommodate the expected growth for the years to come?

We were a little shocked by the growth this season. We added 11 teams across the 4 gyms, but also had several teams go from small to large. I believe we may have actually added more athletes this season (zero new gyms) than last (2 new gyms), which is crazy to me. We are incredibly thankful that we didn't open a new gym for 2015-16. Growth is a fantastic problem to have, but it definitely creates issues. (new staff, scheduling, logistics, communication, etc.)

We have a long-term deal at the Plano facility, so there isn't an easy way to increase the space there. We are actively searching for new, larger homes for the Frisco and Austin facilities. Hoping to avoid the same error in Charlotte, we chose a space with plenty of room to grow into. It could probably handle 500-ish athletes on teams - where we hope to be in 2-3 years.

We thought that adding the Frisco location would take some of the growth pressure off of the Plano facility, but it doesn't seem to have had that effect.

Is it challenging to find spaces big enough that would be able to handle all the activity your gyms see?

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to find facilities that have the right column spacing, ceiling height, and total square footage that you need. It is even MORE difficult to find buildings like that in locations you want to put gyms. Those buildings are almost exclusively in warehouse/industrial districts which often aren't attractive, aren't safe, and/or don't allow our type of business. You always have the option of building it yourself, but that basically requires a very long-term time commitment to that exact size/floor plan/part of town/etc. That route also ties up a huge amount of capital. Leasing allows you to be more agile.

How many teams/classes/athletes do you have practicing in the gym at the same time?

In Plano, our largest facility, we will have 7 teams regularly practicing at the same time on Sundays. We have 6 full spring floors and a full mat in the "Blue Room" (dance room), so each team will have it's own full floor space. During the week, there are probably 5-6 teams and 4-5 classes happening at once. It gets a little cozy, but we believe that there is plenty of room for everything to happen safely.

Last edited:
We were a little shocked by the growth this season. We added 11 teams across the 4 gyms, but also had several teams go from small to large. We opened 2 new gyms last season (Frisco & Charlotte) and none this season, but I believe we may have actually added more athletes this season than last, which is crazy to me. We are incredibly thankful that we didn't start a new gym for 2015-16. Growth is a fantastic problem to have, but it definitely creates issues. (new staff, scheduling, logistics, communication, etc.)

We have a long-term deal at the Plano facility, so there isn't an easy way to increase the space there. We are actively searching for new, larger homes for the Frisco and Austin facilities. Hoping to avoid the same error in Charlotte, we chose a space with plenty of room to grow into. It could probably handle 500-ish athletes on teams - where we hope to be in 2-3 years.

We thought that adding the Frisco location would take some of the growth pressure off of the Plano facility, but it doesn't seem to have had that effect.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to find facilities that have the right column spacing, ceiling height, and total square footage that you need. It is even MORE difficult to find buildings like that in locations you want to put gyms. Those buildings are almost exclusively in warehouse/industrial districts which often aren't attractive, aren't safe, and/or don't allow our type of business. You always have the option of building it yourself, but that basically requires a very long-term time commitment to that exact size/floor plan/part of town/etc. That route also ties up a huge amount of capital. Leasing allows you to be more agile.

In Plano, our largest facility, we will have 7 teams regularly practicing at the same time on Sundays. We have 6 full spring floors and a full mat in the "Blue Room" (dance room), so each team will have it's own full floor space. During the week, there are probably 5-6 teams and 4-5 classes happening at once. It gets a little cozy, but we believe that there is plenty of room for everything to happen safely.

Thanks for the extensive response! :)

What was the error with Charlotte? Was the growth there more than you expected when you initially found a space to call "home"?

When scouting for new locations for your already established gyms (like Frisco and Austin) do you use realtors or do you put on your Scoutkatz hat and do it yourself (maybe not you, yourself, but do you do it internally?)

At some point you might have to start looking at abandoned airplane hangers. Your own private airstrip would be a plus for potential fly-ins :p

Back