All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Did y'all no longer offer All Star Prep teams? I remember Cheer Athletics having 3 last year, if I'm not mistaken...

oprah-named-forbes-most-influential-celebrity-2013(1).gif
I really feel like my post did not deserve that response.
Most programs rely on their kids coming up from their tiny/mini/youth categories. Clearly, CA does not, which is incredibly impressive (and yes I know that basically everything they do is impressive). At most gyms, you'll see that the mini/youth categories are the largest. So, when looking at CA's category spread, its very interesting to see, that it's in fact, their smallest athlete %.

Clearly, CA is an incredible gym and of course athletes are flocking there (particularly older ones who have been in the sport longer). But, that's great for them for being able to build their business that way and not having worries about the future of their program because they know that people are willing to travel to their gym, rather than depending on younger athletes.

Most programs rely on their kids coming up from their tiny/mini/youth categories. Clearly, CA does not, which is incredibly impressive (and yes I know that basically everything they do is impressive). At most gyms, you'll see that the mini/youth categories are the largest. So, when looking at CA's category spread, its very interesting to see, that it's in fact, their smallest athlete %.

Clearly, CA is an incredible gym and of course athletes are flocking there (particularly older ones who have been in the sport longer). But, that's great for them for being able to build their business that way and not having worries about the future of their program because they know that people are willing to travel to their gym, rather than depending on younger athletes.

How do you figure that? I see one tiny (I'd be shocked if anyone has two), one mini, 3 youth, 5 junior (not including jags). That's 10 teams from one location. Also notice the majority of their junior teams are large, whilst the majority of their youth teams are small. Also- most of the lower-level senior teams are large as well, and they also have multiples per level (small senior 4, large senior coed 4, small coed 4, etc). 350 athletes on junior and younger. If that doesn't say 'grown through the program' I don't know what does?

How do you figure that? I see one tiny (I'd be shocked if anyone has two), one mini, 3 youth, 5 junior (not including jags). That's 10 teams from one location. Also notice the majority of their junior teams are large, whilst the majority of their youth teams are small. Also- most of the lower-level senior teams are large as well, and they also have multiples per level (small senior 4, large senior coed 4, small coed 4, etc). 350 athletes on junior and younger. If that doesn't say 'grown through the program' I don't know what does?

tumblr_inline_mkpk2sGG7W1qz4rgp.gif

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I guess the most shocking thing to me is how Plano only has 1 mini team and 3 youth teams. To me, I'd think that this would be the bulk of your program (other than Worlds teams). Learn something new everyday.

Kudos to you for being able to support your program with high end older teams with comparably few advancing throughout your program from mini

I'm not sure if this is an attempt at a backhanded compliment or not. If not, then thank you?

If it was an attempt to be snarky, my response is this: Most programs tend to lose kids as they get older and either lose interest and/or gain more knowledge of the gyms and programs around them. We tend to do the opposite. Our kids and parents are generally staying put and convincing their friends to join them. You can try to spin that into a negative, but I'll take that over the alternative all day long.

I think you might think that's a very small proportion of younger athletes because in comparison to Canadian gyms, it is, but I think that's a fairly normal age demographic for a big US gym. I know at my last year at my last gym in Canada, there were 3 tinys, 4 minis, and maybe 6 youth teams, however it's a lot more common there for kids to quit before they age out, so not as many senior teams are needed. In reality though, younger athletes can fall into more than one age group, and can qualify as seniors for many years, so there are many ways for athletes to grow up through the CA program.

Yes, not trying to be snarky, just in comparison to what I'm use to. In Canada, no matter if its a 'small gym' or a 'large gym' the gym almost always has many more youth and mini teams. And some gyms here in Canada have even more minis and youth than CA. I guess thats what surprised me.

I don't want to copy and paste the whole team list because that will take up a ton of space but it looks like 6 of our teams are overlapping in divisions.
@Bluecat Will Plano and Austin be descending upon any comps together? I assume (I know bad idea) that we are all going to NCA...will you just be placing the same division teams in A and B? Also does this mean we may travel out of town to Austin for a comp to support our sister gym?
Thanks!

Speaking of mini teams...I still miss Kittens:(

How come there are 2 JadeCats?
sm sr r 5 and y2
Did you mean DiamondCats for senior r 5?
Also I think CAA has a mini 1 team too - SparkleCats

You are correct on both counts - my apologies. I did a poor job of cutting/pasting. Let's try this again:

Tiny:
Show Kittens - Tiny 1 (show team)
Itty Bitty Kitties - Tiny 1

Mini:
Bobcats - Mini 1
SparkleCats - Mini 1

Youth:
KittyKatz - Sm Yth 1
Cougars - Sm Yth 2
JadeCats - Sm Yth 2
SapphireCats - Sm Yth 3
Lions - Lg Yth 3

Junior:
BearKatz - Sm Jr 1
EmeraldCats - Sm Jr 1
Coral - Sm Jr 2
Katz - Lg Jr 2
Icecats - Sm Jr 3
Lynx - Lg Jr 3
Bengals - Sm Jr 4
RubyCats - Sm Jr 4
Thundercats - Lg Jr 4
Jags - Sm Jr 5

Senior:
Sabres - Lg Sr 2
Firecats - Sm Sr 3
PearlCats - Sm Sr 3
Ligers - Lg Sr 3/4
Ocelots - Sr Co 3
PlatinumCats - Sm Sr 4
Tigers - Sm Sr 4
Mountain Lions - Sm Co 4
Prowlers - Lg Sr Co 4
DiamondCats - Sm Sr R5
Felines - Sm Sr R5/5
Pumas - Sm Sr Co R5
OnyxCats - Sm Co 5
Swooshcats - Med Sr 5
Junglecats - Md Co 5
Panthers - Lg Sr 5
Cheetahs - Lg Co 5

International:
Wildcats - IOC5
Ladykatz - IO6

Special Needs:
SuperKatz - SN

I don't want to copy and paste the whole team list because that will take up a ton of space but it looks like 6 of our teams are overlapping in divisions.
@Bluecat Will Plano and Austin be descending upon any comps together? I assume (I know bad idea) that we are all going to NCA...will you just be placing the same division teams in A and B? Also does this mean we may travel out of town to Austin for a comp to support our sister gym?
Thanks!

Speaking of mini teams...I still miss Kittens:(

The schedules aren't set yet for either gym, however, I would assume that we will attend some together and some separate. We are trying to avoid competing directly against each other, but it will probably happen at some point. We also may end up taking some of the duplicated division teams into different sized divisions - changing a small to large for example.

Back