Music Cheer Music & The Music Industry

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2012
What happens when the music industry realizes that the cheer world is manipulating their music and using it for competition and on such widespread use?

I know it isn't illegal to take a song and mix it with others and have for your squad. But what about the cheer music sites that sell music to run their business with, or the cheer mix radios? Those are both illegal according to the Music Industry standards of distribution and copyrights. (And you can say those music creators buy the songs then mix them then sell them, so its ok.. but thats like me going on iTunes and buying a song then posting the track to eBay and saying its for sale)

Anyone have any thoughts on this process and what could come from it?

gotcha, i searched for a previous thread but I guess mine eyes deceived me.

if a lawsuit ever happens, music mixers will actually have to start creating the music to then mix! talk about expensive! lol

What happens when the music industry realizes that the cheer world is manipulating their music and using it for competition and on such widespread use?

I know it isn't illegal to take a song and mix it with others and have for your squad. But what about the cheer music sites that sell music to run their business with, or the cheer mix radios? Those are both illegal according to the Music Industry standards of distribution and copyrights. (And you can say those music creators buy the songs then mix them then sell them, so its ok.. but thats like me going on iTunes and buying a song then posting the track to eBay and saying its for sale)

Anyone have any thoughts on this process and what could come from it?
You could figure out soooooooooo many ways around it. For example, I could make a a mix for FREE and then charge you x amount of money for me to send you the mp3 or "ship you your mix," making the financial transaction not actually about the music.

I'm fairly sure that as long as you're using less than 30 seconds of any song (most mixes don't use more than that) it's legal. It's like the preview on iTunes

your not selling a song, your selling a service...thats pretty much the argument..however the sites that sell pre made dance mixes are getting slammed by EMI actually
the selling the service reasoning will never stand up against music industry and their copyrights. Same goes for using less than 30 seconds. Like cupieqt said the discussion is already very deep on that other thread.. and those reasonings for being legal were already discussed as illegal.

I dont want it to happen because it will put a lot of people, my friends included, out of business as well as affecting a large portion of the cheer community who cant afford to pay high music costs. But someday its gonna happen and its gonna be terrible

the selling the service reasoning will never stand up against music industry and their copyrights. Same goes for using less than 30 seconds. Like cupieqt said the discussion is already very deep on that other thread.. and those reasonings for being legal were already discussed as illegal.

I dont want it to happen because it will put a lot of people, my friends included, out of business as well as affecting a large portion of the cheer community who cant afford to pay high music costs. But someday its gonna happen and its gonna be terrible
Whats the legality issue with professional DJ's selling mash ups and mixes and stuff like that? They have to be protected somehow. And the providing a service argument would definitely have a chance to stand up in court. Someone says hey can you blend all these songs together for me and you say sure, but you have to pay me for my labor, I don't see how that is infringing on the artist's copyrights. Either way, if it ever gets to the point where the music industry decides to try and shut down cheer music producers, I have got to imagine and the big wig cheer company C.E.O.'s would help and go to bat somehow considering they would know how badly it would change the cheer industry.

Whats the legality issue with professional DJ's selling mash ups and mixes and stuff like that? They have to be protected somehow. And the providing a service argument would definitely have a chance to stand up in court. Someone says hey can you blend all these songs together for me and you say sure, but you have to pay me for my labor, I don't see how that is infringing on the artist's copyrights. Either way, if it ever gets to the point where the music industry decides to try and shut down cheer music producers, I have got to imagine and the big wig cheer company C.E.O.'s would help and go to bat somehow considering they would know how badly it would change the cheer industry.

Dj's have a union that helps with that stuff through BMI

DJ's who make mashups mixtapes for sale are doing so illegally, or have gotten each artist's permission and then sold them. For DJ-ing at shows and stuff, since its live it doesnt break copyright.

A blending of some songs is illegal by just paying the producer who mixed it, if it's done without artist permission or without paying for it

and I imagine there will be a lot of people and groups/businesses that will help out to stop the issues if they ever happen, like you guys said

Back