All-Star đźš¨ CHEER NEWS: USASF Suggests Major Changes for the 2023-2024 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2020
The USASF has announced some possible major changes for the 2023-2024 season, and it has caused quite a stir in the cheerleading world...

We’ll take a closer look at these changes and what they mean for athletes and teams. Keep reading to learn more!

Two major changes​

The USASF (learn what it is here) held a webinar for members only, talking about changes for the 2023-2024 season.

There were several changes, but two of them stood out:

• the removal of Senior Open level 6 divisions
  • that athletes on International/Open teams must be 18+ years old
⚠️ First of all, it doesn’t seem that the changes are final yet. Previously, changes have been suggested & later adjusted based on feedback from the cheer world.

1. Removing Senior Open 6 divisions​

This suggests completely removing the senior open (Senior Open, Senior Open Small Coed & Senior Open Large Coed) divisions for level 6 teams.

Teams in open divisions will have to move either to International Open divisions (which will be 18+, more details later) or Senior divisions (up to 19 years old).

U.S. teams currently competing in open divisions include Cheer Athletics Wildcats, Top Gun Revelation, Maryland Twisters F5, Woodlands Elite Generals, Spirit of Texas Reign, Cheer Extreme SMOEX, The California Allstars Aces & of course many, many more.

2. 18+ on International/Open teams

This would require ALL athletes on Senior Open (levels 4-5) and International Open (levels 6-7) teams to be over 18 years old.

Today, most Open/International Open Worlds divisions allow for athletes of 14 years and older. The divisions have no maximum age limit, meaning other athletes on the same team can be as old as they want.

Considering that the divisions have no maximum age limit, this is likely meant to separate athletes of adult age from younger athletes…

Continue reading (for FREE) in our newsletter!

SCR-20230515-h3n.png

Want to get news updates like this every week?

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated on the latest news in the world of allstar cheerleading.​

Trusted by 2,500+ subscribers. Totally free.

Lol it better be final, they can’t make drastic age grid changes last minute. Every gym is having their tryouts right now and selecting teams based on the new rules, and Open age athletes have already moved to where they can find an Open team, since it won’t be as easy to find one anymore.

Lol it better be final, they can’t make drastic age grid changes last minute. Every gym is having their tryouts right now and selecting teams based on the new rules, and Open age athletes have already moved to where they can find an Open team, since it won’t be as easy to find one anymore.

They def. shouldn't. It was a very long time ago, but they have made big changes after teams were made. It was a mess. I do think they will stick with the changes this time.

I agree with getting rid senior open 6 divisions, worlds has to many divisions, it’s not that big of a deal to switch to international. Though the age change, people don’t realize how hard it is to be super light once you become an adult, I’m 16 and it’s my fear I will go over 110 lbs. I’m not sure it’s achivible considering I’m almost 17.

I agree with getting rid senior open 6 divisions, worlds has to many divisions, it’s not that big of a deal to switch to international. Though the age change, people don’t realize how hard it is to be super light once you become an adult, I’m 16 and it’s my fear I will go over 110 lbs. I’m not sure it’s achivible considering I’m almost 17.
Though not on topic for this, weight doesn't make you a good flyer. You will continue to grow and change into your late teens/early twenties. I'm level 7 and throw around fully grown adult women. I routinely throw flyers who weight 130lbs or more because they are adults. They do their job of pushing off hard, squeezing tight and holding their line and we have no issues hitting hard skills in our routine. Worry about your technique, stay healthy - eat to fuel your activity and lift weights to get strong and you can fly for a long time still

Though not on topic for this, weight doesn't make you a good flyer. You will continue to grow and change into your late teens/early twenties. I'm level 7 and throw around fully grown adult women. I routinely throw flyers who weight 130lbs or more because they are adults. They do their job of pushing off hard, squeezing tight and holding their line and we have no issues hitting hard skills in our routine. Worry about your technique, stay healthy - eat to fuel your activity and lift weights to get strong and you can fly for a long time still
Tried to write basically this exact response and couldn't get the words right so thank you :)

I know it doesn’t condribute that much, but it’s a big adjustment for some one use to basing 90 - 100 pound girls. On my last year of youth, I based a girl about 60 pounds, and during tryouts for the next season I tried to base an 90 pound junior flyer (about the same size as me and it was REALLY hard). So that big adjustment is hard. I switched to flying then, and I hear bases when the move divisions up complain another the weight of there flyers

Wrong or right, the reality is coaches rarely fly girls that weigh over 115 pounds on high level competitive teams.

I know it doesn’t condribute that much, but it’s a big adjustment for some one use to basing 90 - 100 pound girls. On my last year of youth, I based a girl about 60 pounds, and during tryouts for the next season I tried to base an 90 pound junior flyer (about the same size as me and it was REALLY hard). So that big adjustment is hard. I switched to flying then, and I hear bases when the move divisions up complain another the weight of there flyers
It is hard, but that doesn’t mean it’s not an adjustment worth making. As you said, it’s an adjustment; you do eventually get used to it and forget there was ever even a time you based anyone lighter. I cheered on an open team as an adult (19-20 years old) for two years, I’m in favor of the change not only because it minimizes inappropriate/weird relationships between 14 years old and grown adults, but also because it opens doors for really talented older flyers to get a chance on a team that they would have been rejected for because of the available 14 year olds. Bases who complain should use their time working on their strength outside the gym instead of complaining that the sport they signed up for requires them to lift normal human beings into the air.

Back