All-Star Cnn's Cheer Segment Posted

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

everybody is freaking out over "maddie gardner and the senior elite's"? Really? They're not placing her above the others, its a simple statement. Like, "The girl and her family." Reporters say/write it all the time.

I understand both sides of the story here..Maddie did nothing wrong, clearly. No one is saying that. And CNN did a great job showing the sport in a positive light. But I WISH they could have made it a team thing, rather than focusing in on one girl. I don't care if it's Maddie, or the girl that nuggets in the back- I think it would have shown more of the "team" bit if they had interviewed more than one girl. I feel bad for her teammates. When you have someone who is always in the spotlight- whether it's magazine covers, highlight stunts, cheerlebrity stuff, and now the whole CNN interview- I could totally see it touching a nerve. Obviously SE gets a lot of love (I'm not really a fan, but that's beside the point), but Maddie get's quite a bit of attention, and I'm sure it makes the other girls upset that the whole documentary was about her. I watched it with my mom (believe it or not, not everyone knows who CEA and the Teal Army is! whaaat?), and she even felt bad and said to me, "I would be really upset if I was on the team, and they didn't even mention us".
Just my two cents. Not sure what it's worth, but just saying.

Also, can I just point out that no one has any idea what else she spoke about in interviews. She Could have gone on and on about her team and coaches, but it got edited out. Seems to me CNN was there for a few days. I can only imagine the hours that was edited out.
absolutely. i would shimmy this a million zillion times if I could.

I am sorry if someone has already asked this, I tried to look..
But is there a video on the internet somewhere of the cnn special tonight? I was at practice until 9 and I wasn't able to watch it! Thank youu:)

When you see a documentary, I guess it is like a movie, or a novel, a painting or play. Everyone has a different take on what they saw and what they got out of the experience. Nothing wrong with that and expressing your opinion. I have some insight on this, so I will share my feelings for what they are worth. The people at CNN were trying to inform their audience on what the essence of all star cheer means to the athletes that participate while exposing and informing the audience about the sport in general. I do believe they had 100s of hours of tape and interviews with multiple people and teams. And the crew had 16 minutes to tell the story. Now, my understanding is that this is a very widely used technique of documentary interview where instead of getting multiple impressions from multiple athletes, they chose one to represent the whole group. For SE it would be like going around the circle and giving each athlete 30 seconds to explain all star cheer or using just one. They did not have time for everyone. The interviewer was the narrator and the teacher, the target was both the cheer community but most importantly the much larger group of people that have an interest and wanted to see what all star cheer was all about. And Maddie was interviewed one on one, for hours, almost like a deposition process in court. Of course her answers were first person. That was how the questions were asked and what fit the form of documentary.

I believe the documentary crew fell in love with all the kids they interviewed and all the coaches. But I suspect as they tried to put together the various interviews that they were losing the essence of what they were trying to convey. Again, what does all star cheer mean to the athlete? That is what we are about, right, the kids and their experience. So you will note, Maddie talked about sacrifice of time and activities, impact on school, practice and hard work, injuries, the thrill or a big win and the dissapointment of a loss. But it ended with perserverence, the ability to get back up and go again. Sound like your athlete at home? I'll admit, as I watched I cringed a bit at the interviewer's discussion of Maddie and the team. I don't think it was done to give her undo attention, but to set her up as the example because all cheer athletes go through the same things. And in the end, did the documentary convey something about the athlete's experience and the sport in a positive manner. I thought it did as well as it could. And to those critical, I ask you to understand Maddie had no control of any aspect of the show except her answers. CNN chose the format, the form and the content.

When you see a documentary, I guess it is like a movie, or a novel, a painting or play. Everyone has a different take on what they saw and what they got out of the experience. Nothing wrong with that and expressing your opinion. I have some insight on this, so I will share my feelings for what they are worth. The people at CNN were trying to inform their audience on what the essence of all star cheer means to the athletes that participate while exposing and informing the audience about the sport in general. I do believe they had 100s of hours of tape and interviews with multiple people and teams. And the crew had 16 minutes to tell the story. Now, my understanding is that this is a very widely used technique of documentary interview where instead of getting multiple impressions from multiple athletes, they chose one to represent the whole group. For SE it would be like going around the circle and giving each athlete 30 seconds to explain all star cheer or using just one. They did not have time for everyone. The interviewer was the narrator and the teacher, the target was both the cheer community but most importantly the much larger group of people that have an interest and wanted to see what all star cheer was all about. And Maddie was interviewed one on one, for hours, almost like a deposition process in court. Of course her answers were first person. That was how the questions were asked and what fit the form of documentary.

I believe the documentary crew fell in love with all the kids they interviewed and all the coaches. But I suspect as they tried to put together the various interviews that they were losing the essence of what they were trying to convey. Again, what does all star cheer mean to the athlete? That is what we are about, right, the kids and their experience. So you will note, Maddie talked about sacrifice of time and activities, impact on school, practice and hard work, injuries, the thrill or a big win and the dissapointment of a loss. But it ended with perserverence, the ability to get back up and go again. Sound like your athlete at home? I'll admit, as I watched I cringed a bit at the interviewer's discussion of Maddie and the team. I don't think it was done to give her undo attention, but to set her up as the example because all cheer athletes go through the same things. And in the end, did the documentary convey something about the athlete's experience and the sport in a positive manner. I thought it did as well as it could. And to those critical, I ask you to understand Maddie had no control of any aspect of the show except her answers. CNN chose the format, the form and the content.

I thought overall the image of cheer given to non cheer was positive and furthered our image.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Back