Coaches Swearing At Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Has anyone attempted to address a coach who consistently swears at cheerleaders? I am part of an All Star gym and it seems like most of the other parents are afraid to talk about this or address it? I am not a prude and do curse in front of my children (which I am not necessarily proud of), but it baffles me that a coach, who is a parent, would this it is ok to curse at another child or group of children consistently? Thoughts?
I am a junior coach and a cheerleader myself and if I were you I would pull them aside before or after a practice and ask them why they think it is ok to do that and how it makes you feel when they do that. You should also talk to the owners about it if it countiues after you talk to them.

the coaches dont sware at the little kids. i mean even if they do sware at thee older teams they know what it means. the coaches swaring means there mad. then do what your supposed to do and dont make the coaches mad! just listen and do what your told!
So that makes it ok? Because they only do it at the older ones? Some families aren't allowed to use those words. As I said before, some kids aren't even allowed to say shut up. What about another team on another floor that over hears.There are other and more productive ways to express anger than cussing at children. And it is NEVER the child's fault that a coach behaves poorly. That's like telling an abused child if you had just done what they told you, they wouldn't hit you.

I don't know if our head coach/gym owner necessarily swears, but I have heard her tear down a few girls (all) at one time or another, but at the same time, praise from that same stressed out head coach/gym owner sends every single one of those same girls over the moon with pure glee. She loves them like family, they get treated like family. I personally would struggle with political correctness when dealing with over 150 daughters and their mommas. Usually if she is angry enough for the teardown, it's because she knows and has seen them do better. My DD has so come into herself through all-star cheering, not even the same kid she was a year ago. Wow!! And has on occasion been the subject of a finger-in-her-face teardown and been the first one the coach ran to and swung up and around in a huge wide arc right at end of routine at competition.

omg you havent met my oldddddd cheer coach for both allstar and highschool cheer thats all that came out of their mouth was swears and told girls on my team they sucked and should change how they look.

I think it's not acceptable. It's really not..... "classy" for a coach to do that. There are many other words to say than those kind of words. I would address it. It's not like they will hit you or anything.

I am a coach and although it is only for 7-8 year olds, no matter the age I would NEVER curse at my girls. They are not my children and I do not think I have the RIGHT to do that. I would for sure address it in an adult matter and if she does not take it well than maybe she is not who she thought she was

at our gym a coach would never ever swear at a child.. our coaches are very professional and do not take out their anger by using a swear word.

We very recently changed gyms and at the old gym, swearing and belittling was the norm. Looking back, I can't believe I allowed my child to be in that environment for so long. I think we became numb to it. Her self-esteem was suffering and I feel incredibly guilty for allowing it to go on. She did tell us on numerous occasions that she was unhappy, but we always chalked it up to a rough practice, etc. I will NEVER allow that type of behavior toward my CP again, let alone PAY someone to treat her like that.

the coaches dont sware at the little kids. i mean even if they do sware at thee older teams they know what it means. the coaches swaring means there mad. then do what your supposed to do and dont make the coaches mad! just listen and do what your told!
I do understand where your coming from, and from my own coaching experiences i know that it gets frustrating and you really want curse you way out of it. But when it comes to children, big or small, i find that as a coach it is your responsibility to hold you tongue. Even if you get mad, you still need to set an example for your cheerleaders.
I made a new rule with my 2 teams i coach that if anybody curses, coaches or cheerleaders, they will have to run 5 laps around the football field. And i can guarantee that nobody swears anymore ;)

Back