Coaching Styles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would never cuss at any of my teams. I coach a Youth 2, a Junior 1, and a Junior 3. I'm a fairly stern coach but they know my rules and they know that practice is a lot more fun when their voices are off so we can get everything done that needs to get done :) because if we can knock everything out on my agenda and get through conditioning in a reasonable time frame, they get to play a game and they love that. It's a motivating thing for them. Plus they're a really great group of kids so that makes them fun to coach :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I would never cuss at any of my teams. I coach a Youth 2, a Junior 1, and a Junior 3. I'm a fairly stern coach but they know my rules and they know that practice is a lot more fun when their voices are off so we can get everything done that needs to get done :) because if we can knock everything out on my agenda and get through conditioning in a reasonable time frame, they get to play a game and they love that. It's a motivating thing for them. Plus they're a really great group of kids so that makes them fun to coach :)

They don't play the games much any longer at the gym, but CP and her teammates love "Chicken in the Hen House". When they did play a game last season, it was usually sharks and minnows, which their coach ran, too, and they did love love love love love it if they got him out.

They don't play the games much any longer at the gym, but CP and her teammates love "Chicken in the Hen House". When they did play a game last season, it was usually sharks and minnows, which their coach ran, too, and they did love love love love love it if they got him out.

We play ships and sailors or cops and robbers! I like them because it makes them run and workout without realizing it, and they like it because they get to have fun with their team! It's a win win for everybody :)

The only heated discussions DH and I have ever had was over Bobby Knight and his coaching style. I want a coach to come in with a firm disposition, heavy on the discipline, and to run a clean program, but the over the top dramatic affects are solely for attention and/or because of anger management issues. You can be an outstanding coach that gets respect without all the drama.

I didn't read all the responses. I have different approaches to different children/teams. My tiny team? I'm not gonna cuss and yell at them. However my senior team who rather be on their iphones than practicing... or talking about boys? I'm going to have to get their attention. So I have to repeat things a billion and two times and yell to get my point across. Mind you all my kids know that I love them dearly I make sure of that. I'm hard at them during times like not focusing during stunts but we also get good jokes and laughs in at practice. I feel like each coach has to find what works for them. Cussing out and yelling at kids just to do it, not a fan. But for my senior girls who are half-***ing it... I will tell them "Yeah, you have to know yall looked like yall are half-bleeping it"

I prefer hard coaches. Not ones who yell and cuss and scream at you because I believe that method can only go so far. I prefer coaches who may yell at you a little bit, who will not be constantly threatening your spot on the team. I also prefer coaches who give corrections to you then will praise you for something good you did.

^^^^^One of my biggest pet peeves with OTHER coaches is what you mentioned above.

I HATE it when coaches tell kids EVERY practice: "I CAN REPLACE YOU!" That is emotional terrorism in my eyes.

Do my kids know that their spot on the team is subject to change and that they could be replaced? Sure.

I don't need to say it all the time.

Also, sooner or later, they realize that the threat of replacement is empty because you keep saying it, but it never happens.

Either that, or they (or the parents) are going to say "Do it!" and be out the door.

It's just so unnecessary.

For those of you that coach small teams: do you ever find discipline to be an issue, or are things mostly peaches and cream due to your small size?

Last edited:
Now that I am in a permament coaching position, I have definitley realized my coaching style is stern. I coach athletes that are 14 years old and above, who are honestly lazy due to bad habits with previous coaches. I have used some colorful language in a few situations. I have never called a child out of their name, because I can't see that ever being necessary.

Im a stern coach BUT not all kids can be coached that way. I coach 6 all star teams and both a youth and high school team.. I cannot be stern with my HS kids or else the parents are at my door. I can be a bit more stern with my youth program kids, as I have been there coach for years! With my AS kids, it depends on the age I talk to my Tinys a little different than I do my seniors. But with that said, there are also kids on my senior team who cry at the drop of a hat, so they need to be spoken to in a "softer voice" as I like to call it :)

I coach mites and cussing is definitely not something I would do (though I don't cuss really so it wouldn't matter). I do think you have to have a good mix of being fun (so they don't come to dread cheer) and being tough (so they stay disciplined).

I coach mites and cussing is definitely not something I would do (though I don't cuss really so it wouldn't matter). I do think you have to have a good mix of being fun (so they don't come to dread cheer) and being tough (so they stay disciplined).
Completely unrelated but you look like Celine Dion!

I'm a really "tough" coach... As in, we will stand clean for fifteen minutes straight if necessary to get everyone on the same page as to what "clean" means. We do push ups every time I have to say "Please stop talking." We do lots of jumps at every practice while I make corrections - every kid must have the correct prep, straight legs, toes pointed, land with feet together. We do hang drills until the kids want to hang me (lol) until each kid understands exactly what I want them to do, and they do it correctly each and every time. We do them every practice to help remember the correct form. In other words, I am "tough" because I require perfection on the basics before we move forward to the "fun" skills (and once we move to "fun," I still require correct form each and every time). My expectations are clear from the beginning. They don't waiver. I don't make exceptions. None of this requires yelling (yelling is saved for safety concerns!). If the kids aren't trying hard or are being lazy, I don't yell. We condition so that they can be stronger, so that we can move forward toward more advanced skills so they won't be so "bored" (I always say that laziness = boredom... so let's not be bored! Let's get stronger!) And when I say "we condition" - I mean that. I condition with the kids. There is no sense that I'm making them condition because I'm mean (although I always say that I'm mean, lol) - I'm right in there, getting stronger with them.

Back