Coaching Styles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm a really "tough" coach... As in, we will stand clean for fifteen minutes straight if necessary to get everyone on the same page as to what "clean" means. We do push ups every time I have to say "Please stop talking." We do lots of jumps at every practice while I make corrections - every kid must have the correct prep, straight legs, toes pointed, land with feet together. We do hang drills until the kids want to hang me (lol) until each kid understands exactly what I want them to do, and they do it correctly each and every time. We do them every practice to help remember the correct form. In other words, I am "tough" because I require perfection on the basics before we move forward to the "fun" skills (and once we move to "fun," I still require correct form each and every time). My expectations are clear from the beginning. They don't waiver. I don't make exceptions. None of this requires yelling (yelling is saved for safety concerns!). If the kids aren't trying hard or are being lazy, I don't yell. We condition so that they can be stronger, so that we can move forward toward more advanced skills so they won't be so "bored" (I always say that laziness = boredom... so let's not be bored! Let's get stronger!) And when I say "we condition" - I mean that. I condition with the kids. There is no sense that I'm making them condition because I'm mean (although I always say that I'm mean, lol) - I'm right in there, getting stronger with them.
Love your methods, it's great to avoid pushing the kids too hard too soon with conditioning.

I like coaches who are and yell. I do not like when coaches curse because it's disrespectful. Not only to the children, but more importantly to the parents of the cheerleader who are trying to push the "no foul language" rule in the home. I wouldn't want my kid to grow up cursing around other kids just because the coach did it. I feel like they're other methods to use for hardcore coaching. I rather for my coach to yell at me saying I suck and I won't get better unless we do this or that right, than to curse and degrade me about it. Cursing often times shut downs ones confidence. That's the worse thing you could as an adult is poop down a teens confidence by cursing at them telling them they suck.

I've also learned that cursing isn't a very professional way of going about things. Maybe kids don't see nothing wrong it. But parents do. You always have to think about the parents. As they are the ones paying to keep your business open.

If you have a coach that is all fun don't expect a good team. The one year my coaches goofed off we haven't hit full out at all. A goofy coach will promote calm relaxed and non competitive attitudes. They new girls goofed off which caused the veterans to suffer for their mistakes. The team can be let down by non serious coaches so make sure you know what coach you are dealing with.

Back