College College Search Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2012
I'm in need of major help.
I originally planned to stay home for college, commute, and be apart of my gyms international team, but I am starting to change my mind.
I want to go away now and get the college experience.
I have family in California and I've always loved it there...
So anywhere in California would be nice.

But i don't know if i want to be apart of an international team, or do college cheer.
I don't really know too much about college cheer or STUNT.
Is there a way to do college cheer and not cheer for a team? In other words, do they have college cheerleading that is strictly only competition?

If there is, what are some of the best in California?

I know that San Diego State University has one of the top all-girl squads in the country as the Aztecs tend to be in the top 10 in the UCA Nationals All Girl Division IA category in recent years and California Baptist University's all girl team competes annually at the NCA Nationals.

Other top California squads include Orange Coast College, Glendale Community College, and Sacramento State University, among others.

I've never heard of a college team that competes that doesn't cheer game day, other than A&T. There's a feeling that you have to "earn your keep" at most programs. Support your school because that's what the school wants--compete as a perk.

Idk if there are any schools like this in California, but at my undergrad, WVU, we had a club cheerleading team that's sole purpose was competition and they compete at NCA every year. I know a couple other schools on the east coast have that, too but I'm not sure about Cali.

Most competitive schools in California are in SoCal, except Sac state and my previous school. I would highly recommend my previous school but they took away competing for this season but I know the coach is fighting to get it back. If you like I can give you more info about it and if they'll compete next year because we give girls the option of doing "show cheer" and/or competing in STUNT. Girls just on STUNT do not cheer at games.
I also heard Sac State is having some issues with their coed program, but from what I know their All Girl team does compete in STUNT and they're pretty good! However, I do believe they are part of the cheer program and thus cheer at games, partake in community events, etc.
Orange Coast has all girl that competes in NCA d3. They won in 2012. They also have a large coed team that competes as intermediate at NCA and I believe they won in 2013.
Cal Baptist competes at NCA all girl d2 and won this past season. I don't know too much about the program, but I'm assuming they also cheer at games.
Glendale College has a large coed that competes UCA junior college. They also has an All girl team that competes in STUNT and at USA collegiate championships. However, the funding for the program did get cut by the school. I believe the program still is trying to compete, but it will be harder fundraising the money by yourself.
Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo has an all girl team that competes in STUNT and at USA collegiate championships. I do believe they cheer at games, but I'm not positive.
San Diego State competes D1A in UCA and I think they won in 2009. They do cheer at games.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Oh! There's also San Jose State. Last year was their first year coming back as a competitive team and they only competed at USA in small coed, but they looked really good. I can see them competing at either NCA or UCA the next few years. But once again, I do believe they cheer at games.
And the only Acro and Tumbling team I know in CA is Azusa Pacific which is a private Christian school.
The only team I can think of that competes but doesn't cheer is the USC (southern cal, not South Carolina) club cheer team, but they're not too competitive. They mainly do like local Jamz. They don't even do USA.
I think it all depends on what you're looking for in terms of competitiveness and if you want coed or all girl. I don't know of too many teams that compete but don't cheer at games.

Oh! There's also San Jose State. Last year was their first year coming back as a competitive team and they only competed at USA in small coed, but they looked really good. I can see them competing at either NCA or UCA the next few years. But once again, I do believe they cheer at games.
And the only Acro and Tumbling team I know in CA is Azusa Pacific which is a private Christian school.
The only team I can think of that competes but doesn't cheer is the USC (southern cal, not South Carolina) club cheer team, but they're not too competitive. They mainly do like local Jamz. They don't even do USA.
I think it all depends on what you're looking for in terms of competitiveness and if you want coed or all girl. I don't know of too many teams that compete but don't cheer at games.

Thank you so much!! I will definitely look into these schools for either this coming year, or to transfer in the future

I'm in need of major help.
I originally planned to stay home for college, commute, and be apart of my gyms international team, but I am starting to change my mind.
I want to go away now and get the college experience.
I have family in California and I've always loved it there...
So anywhere in California would be nice.

But i don't know if i want to be apart of an international team, or do college cheer.
I don't really know too much about college cheer or STUNT.
Is there a way to do college cheer and not cheer for a team? In other words, do they have college cheerleading that is strictly only competition?

If there is, what are some of the best in California?

Not in California, but we just added competitive cheer as a varsity sport at Gannon University - we are DII and located in Erie, PA. Our team strictly competes, so you do not have to cheer at any games. We are a brand new program (added this past May) and will be attending NCA Nationals in 2014 for the first time. Feel free to message me or email me at [email protected] if you'd like to get more info!

Back