College Collegiate Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2009
It has been a huge difference coming out of high school and competitive on to a college cheer team. I was wondering what some good daily exercises or certain workouts anyone knows or does to help reach the level of becoming a strong collegiate athlete. Any thing will help! Thanks!

IMHO at a very basic level

Cardio + Weights + Eating Right

Cardio - To increase endurance, and general heart health.

Weights - To increase your ability to move mass. The mass could be yours (topping, jumping, tumbling) or someone else's (basing). While you will get definition, you won't look like the She Hulk if you do basic weight training.

Eating Right - I would say that this is the most important. Many people forget that how you fuel your body is just as important as how you train it. So limit high sugar / high fat foods (don't eliminate they taste sooo good) just limit.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

In college cheer, you're expected to know the basics. You're motions better be sharp, you better be smiling no matter what, and NO COMPLAINING.
Also, college cheer has a much stricter attendance policy. Lots of homework? So does everyone else. Shift at work? Better find someone to cover it.

Always keep the small stuff in mind, you're not gonna be babied in college. You're an adult now, so be expect to be treated as one! On the bright side, everyone is serious about what they do and you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish so quickly!

So I know this isn't really what you were asking for..... but I started thinking about college cheer and these are huge differences I experienced. Just trying to help, Sorry if I overstepped :p

Those really helped me thank you! Anything I can hear or get advice really makes me feel more comfortable about that change

It has been a huge difference coming out of high school and competitive on to a college cheer team. I was wondering what some good daily exercises or certain workouts anyone knows or does to help reach the level of becoming a strong collegiate athlete. Any thing will help! Thanks!
Stunt as often as possible. Practice makes perfect. Don't just lift weights. Squat. Squat. Squat. SQUAT! Squatting will fix everything. Look up Mark Rippetoe's program called "Starting Strength," and follow it like it's your job.

Back