All-Star Cost Of Allstar Vs Cost Of Other Sports

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
How much is Allstars compared to the cost of other travel sports? Include travel equipment training fees... all that stuff.

Karate is not cheap. It is not a travel sport but for two 45 minute classes a week we pay $1800 per kid per year. (this included equipment and belt testing). Luckily we get a multiple kid discount since 3 kids are enrolled.

One son did travel soccer and it was about $1500 a year. And that included the uniform and practice clothes and tournament fees. I believe I had to come up with an extra $100 during the seaon for ref fees and the occassional parking fee. In 5 years I paid to get into a total of 2 tournaments and it was only $5. Shoes and goalie gloves were another $200 for the season. So total cost was less then $2000. Other son did travel baseball. That was more expensive the equipment was purchased by us, $400 for a bat! And we had to pay to get into the tournaments usually between $5-$10 per day. But total cost for the year was around $3500. So cheer still wins in the expense dept. $3500 before travel and the ridiculous cost of getting into the comps. Still worth every penny!

I have one son in Rep Soccer and its about $2500 a year in training and tournament fees. Two pairs of shoes a year are about $400 in total and travel is about $500. So about $3400 a year.

My brother played Major Hockey and that was always about $4000-$5000 a year in training, equipment and travel.

For a year long sport, with professional training and lots of travel Cheer is a on par.

pctmom said:
I have one son in Rep Soccer and its about $2500 a year in training and tournament fees. Two pairs of shoes a year are about $400 in total and travel is about $500. So about $3400 a year.

My brother played Major Hockey and that was always about $4000-$5000 a year in training, equipment and travel.

For a year long sport, with professional training and lots of travel Cheer is a on par.

That's actually kinda what I was thinking. Any sport to play at a travel level is gonna be around the same price. I think allstars is as expensive as any other youth sport.

Karate is not cheap. It is not a travel sport but for two 45 minute classes a week we pay $1800 per kid per year. (this included equipment and belt testing). Luckily we get a multiple kid discount since 3 kids are enrolled.
:eek: This seems like a lot more than it should be. My dad teaches tae kwon do for a living and he only charges $80 a month for two hour long classes a week. Maybe it's cause of the testing and equipment but it still seems like a lot.

Our costs clock in at about $6000. We have 3 comps with flights. And I am a princess and don't always share a room. We could do better on costs, but it's a choice. After the last round of stock market, flip flops, I am going to try harder to bring costs down. I don't have a good feeling about the economy.

That's actually kinda what I was thinking. Any sport to play at a travel level is gonna be around the same price. I think allstars is as expensive as any other youth sport.
I guess it depends on your particular gym, but, based off of my friends kids sports, all-star is actually cheaper than comparable travel sports.

I have 2 boys who play lacrosse. New shaft (the stick) is anywhere from $200 on up depending on what you get. The head (the pocket) is around $150-$200 unstrung then the cost of the stringing kit is $20-$30 for my boys. They usually each need 1 or 2 of these a year-one for fall and one for spring seasons. Then they have protective equipment such as helmets, chest protectors, arm pads and spikes of course a pair for indoor and a pair for outdoor which add up to around $500 per kid per year for just the protective equipment-they only need to replace this equipment once a year. To play each season costs $100-$150. To play in travel tournaments cost $575-$750 per tournament per kid. Obviously there are traveling costs associated with all of this lacrosse playing. My oldest plays lacrosse in college and my youngest plays lacrosse in high school.

When all is said and done, it all equals out= my boys cost as much as to play lacrosse as it costs my daughter to participate in competitive cheer. My daughter does get sponsors to help with the costs of cheer, my boys do not. My daughter just moved to a new gym a year ago where the tuition increased 3-fold, but her new gym is well worth it. Prior to that, my boys sporting costs far outweighed her expenses but this is my daughter's final year of all-star cheer.

Yes, we do what we have to so that our kids enjoy their childhood and participate in something that they love doing. For all 3 of my children, there is nothing like seeing the enjoyment on their faces as they compete doing something that they truly enjoy participating in and I will never want to deny that look of contentment and exhilaration from them, no matter what it takes Besides we are, at this time, able to provide all this for them and still pay all of our bills and expenses.

I have a friend who is a competitive swimmer for a club team. We were talking one day about how expensive it was and she tole me that they pay the club 3000$ a year in tuition. That does not include travel, team suits, team caps and goggles, or team warm-ups. They are also required to pay a large registration fee and the older kids like her are required to work in the snack bar for a certain ammount of time a week. She has before school practices that start at 4 am. So she wakes up at 3, goes to practice, goes home, showers, goes to school, and then goes to practice again.

I have another friend who is a dancer. She does all types of dancing: Ballet (pointe), Jazz/Lyrical, Hip Hop, and Irish. The registration for the school is not that expensive and I believe each full year class cost somewhere from 100 to 200 dollars. So thats around 800$ in tuition. But then she has to buy a pair of 100$ shoes for each of those classes every time they wear out (which for pointe shoes is often.) So that's around 1200 a year. I know she competes with each of those classes but I have no idea what it costs to go to these competitions. But it at least bumps it up to about 1300 a year. Then she has to buy costumes for each of those classes. I would estimate that it comes out to about 1600 to 2000 a year. And she attends a lower key dance school. I can't imagine what a more serious school would cost.

INeverStopCheering said:
I can't imagine what a more serious school would cost.

My friend's dd is a dancer at a very competitive studio and she pays around 10 grand a year, and she isn't even dancing in as many numbers as some of the other girls. Dance can be crazy expensive.

My friend's dd is a dancer at a very competitive studio and she pays around 10 grand a year, and she isn't even dancing in as many numbers as some of the other girls. Dance can be crazy expensive.

That is very true. We have parents who come to us from dance and when we tell them about the cost of cheer they usually say "a month?", when we quoted them the cost for a year.

My friend was a SERIOUS ballet dancer. by that i mean she was homeschooled and trained 8 hours every other day. im pretty sure she told me that everything costed around 4-6000 dollars a year. but that includes going to the recitals and hotels. im not sure about tuition.

Club Soccer - Registration fee - $300.00. Uniforms (not including cleats, shin guards, ball, bag - etc.) - $200.00
Tuition for year -(fall and spring seasons) - $1500.00. Tournament fees range from 50-60 dollars per player per tournament (this usually covers the coaches expense also for food and travel if needed). Usually do 2 - 4 a season...may have a few hotel/travel costs added depending on where tournament is. Spring season - there is region cup or state cup fee also, depending on level - about $75.00 a player. Then there can be added costs of extra training fees, or camps. This is for the higher priced clubs in my area. There are a few less expensive ones, but these are general fees most clubs have.

Latest posts

Back